TAM and AATAM

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by scaryspice, Jan 26, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Trying to get some stuff together for a presentation on how to use the above publications.

I have both the above in paper copy - TAM is Part 3 only, AATAM has the Jan 03 update and - as I understand it - replaces Parts 1 & 2 of the old TAM.

So far so good.

Looking to get electronic pages for the powerpoint I went to the 2003 Electronic Battlebox. Lo there is no TAM part 3. :( Instead there are the "Arms & Service Pocket Books" whic according to the EBB have "replaced Part 3 of TAM". Well I don't know about the rest of you, but my Corps' PB doesn't have much of the stuff that TAM part 3 had in it!

So to cut to the chase, the question is - is TAM part 3 still valid or do I risk looking a complete numpty if I quote from it? :oops:

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Scary

2. Scary. I can see the problem here - it's the old one of do I look stupid for not knowing what I should or stupid for knowing what I don't have to? I'd argue that since your presentation is on the publications themselves, you should present yourself as a Doctrine Nazi and go, quite literally, by the book!

Meanwhile, back in reality-land, learn all you can remember as per usual...

Best of British...Though feel free not to post your presentation on ARRSE... 8) 8O

3. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Cheers Sekundra

I was beginning to think no-one was ever going to say anything on this one - all those views and not a single reply.... :(

You're right - damned if you do and damned if you don't on this one. I have asked the Doctrine Nazis in the Unit and they didn't know either, so perhaps I'll just pretend to be one of them and go for it!

I will indeed NOT post it on ARRSE for your entertainment (wouldn't want to bore everyone to death too much...)

Thanks again

Scary

NOT really a Doctrine Nazi - but prepared to pretend..... :D

4. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

OK I AM a doctrine Nazi.... 8O

Just in case anyone cares, I found out the answer......

TAM Pt 3 is dead. It has ceased to be. It is an ex-TAM.

There's now a jolly little A5 publication called "Land Component Handbook (Unit SOPs)" which does exactly what it says on the tin and has all the SOPs that TAM 3 had and more.

I hope that has enriched your day. It has certainly enriched mine (but then I clearly have no life......)

:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. scaryspice in this case, I think you are better being a doctrine NAZI who has researched it and is right, than the other kind of Doctrine NAZI who talks like he's researched, (hasn't), quotes like he knows, (made it all up), and is completely wrong.

6. The Jan 2004 Electronic battle box (CD) - what a stupid name - has all the TAM parts in it including all special to arm inserts.

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

SR

Is that really TAM 1, 2 & 3 (which are supposed to have been replaced - and were not in the 2003 EBB) or is it the AATAM and the various Arms & Service "pocket books". Picky, picky I know but that's me.... :D

memo to self must get:

a) Copy of EBB 2004
    b) A life

Scary

8. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

I know it's now March 2004, but this is the Army... has the Jan 2004 Electronic Battlebox:

a. Been published, and;

b. Reached units, yet?

Thanks.

9. a. Yes

b. Yes

However, because it's a seven-disc-in-a-triple-size-box affair, rather than the two-discs-in-a-standard-jewel-case of its predecessor (the Jan 2003 Electronic Battle Box), slightly fewer are turning up at the unit.

For instance; we got a boxload of the last disc set, but only five sets of the Jan 04 one.....

.....I think someone tumbled to the fact that CD-rewriters are fairly commonplace :) Of course, they could have done a DVD edition, and put everything on the one disc 8) 8)

10. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Only problem with putting it on DVD is that it'll take about ten years for army IT to get to the stage where its computers have a DVD drive.

(At this point, please don't reply that all your computers have DVD players, large screens etc as the IT situation whereever I have been posted has been terrible and it makes me MAD)...