Tally Ho - Plinth at 4 OClock

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Track_Link, Nov 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good call I say... This Chap has all the right stuff.

Linky

2. Good to see, however, I've got money that it'll offend some peacenik and there'll be protests, or something similar.

:roll:

3. About time isn't it?

Then while the Hippies are on the outrage bus to Trafalgar Square perhaps my Grandad can get a proper Bomber Command medal for the European campaign before the poor old sod dies.

Escaped from Poland, to France, to England. Joined Free Polish Air Force 1940, transferred to aircrew 1942, 22 return trips to Germany, 9 to France, 4 to Italy. Never landed there once. 'kin nails!

Goebbels declared total war but it seems it wasn't considered PC to have responded in kind. However it does seem it was PC to hand his country to Stalin afterwards.

4. That made Oi larf!

5. P1ss off home. We have enough of you bloody eastern european immigrants - benefits - housing - jobs etc. etc. etc.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It's a great idea, but I would have preferred to see statues of Dowding and Leigh-Mallory up there with him.

7. Seen it, done it got the t-shirt

Where ARRSE leads Crabs will follow

8. Well tell them at least it isn't Bomber Harris, Britains very own War Criminal.

9. You Sir!!!, Yes YOU, Go forth and multiply, at once d'ye hear!.

10. Whilst i'm now labouring away multipling forthwards may i be permited to know why?

11. "All the dead of all the German cities laid end to end are not worth the bones of a single British Grenadier". Quote attributed to 'Bomber' Harris after Dresden and one that I wholeheartedly agree with. War criminal indeed :evil: .

12. Dowding, yes. Leigh Mallory. No. Never. An egotist, self publicist and poor strategist. Leigh Mallory's 'big wing' strategy was a dismal failure plain to see for everyone but Leigh Mallory.

13. It should be Wilf Butler and Bill Tunnelly. Never heard of them? I'm not surprised.

Both were neighbours when I was kid. Bill was a TA Sherwood Forester in WW1 and Wilf an RAFVR Blenheim/Mosquito/Halifax pilot in WW2.

Nice, decent, unremarkable blokes that got their hands dirty but just as symbolic as figureheads like Dowding & Leigh Mallory. RIP to both of them.

14. Oh im sorry my mistake give him a posthumous V.C.
    Even at the time he was being slagged as a war criminal. .

15. Not by the overwhelming majority of the wartime population.....