• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Tallest on the left, shortest on the right!

Recently a ‘guardsman’ H R Snow wrote to The Daily Telegraph on the subject of arranging books on a shelf. This was in reply to a previous correspondent who stated he arranges his books - tallest on the right and shortest on the left in military style.
Mr Snow wrote: “Speaking as a guardsman, my principle has always been: tallest on the flanks, shortest in the centre. This makes for a more pleasing visual display, whether of books or soldiers.”
During my time in uniform in the 1970s, whenever a parade was imminent we all lined up in single file, tallest on the left, shortest on the right. A right turn and then marched into ranks 1, 2, 3 – 1, 2, 3 etc. Obviously that meant all those on the left hand flank were taller than those on the right hand.
Has this changed or is the above description by Mr Snow unique to the guards?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Was it not "Odd numbers 1 pace back, even numbers 1 pace forward. Rear rank right turn, front rank left turn, March..."

or something like that to make the tallest on the flanks type thingy.

Recently a ‘guardsman’ H R Snow wrote to The Daily Telegraph on the subject of arranging books on a shelf. This was in reply to a previous correspondent who stated he arranges his books - tallest on the right and shortest on the left in military style.
Mr Snow wrote: “Speaking as a guardsman, my principle has always been: tallest on the flanks, shortest in the centre. This makes for a more pleasing visual display, whether of books or soldiers.”
During my time in uniform in the 1970s, whenever a parade was imminent we all lined up in single file, tallest on the left, shortest on the right. A right turn and then marched into ranks 1, 2, 3 – 1, 2, 3 etc. Obviously that meant all those on the left hand flank were taller than those on the right hand.
You missed a bit out.

Before the right turn and march into ranks you would have had the odd and even numbers once pace apart, front to rear, and then the front rank turns right, rear rank turns left and then you follow on and march into 3 ranks.
The result equals exactly what Mr Snow was talking about.

As Legs has already pointed out.

It would appear that your drill staff got it wrong, were doing their own thing or were too lazy to do it properly. It should be, IIRC, Firstly:"Tallest on the right, shortest on the left!"; Then: "From the Right - NUMBER" (everyone shouts out their number as it reaches them); "Odd numbers one pace forwards, even numbers one pace backwards - MARCH"; "Front rank turn to the right, rear rank turn to the left... ranks right and left ...TURN. "Form two/three ranks - QUICK MARCH" and so one did. This put the tallest on the flanks and the shortest in the centre. Try it on the kids or down the pub!

I am NOT an ex-Guardsman, but some things just do not go away. I am pretty sure it was standard drill in all units. Now I must lie down in a darkened room with a copy of the all-arms drill pamphlet and a box of Kleenex.

Thanks Steven.
Yes I had forgotton that small bit of vital info.
Like I said it was over 35 years ago that I was on parade.
Apologies to Mr Snow

It would appear that your drill staff got it wrong, were doing their own thing or were too lazy to do it properly. It should be, IIRC, Firstly:"Tallest on the right, shortest on the left!"; Then: "From the Right - NUMBER" (everyone shouts out their number as it reaches them); "Odd numbers one pace forwards, even numbers one pace backwards - MARCH"; "Front rank turn to the right, rear rank turn to the left... ranks right and left ...TURN. "Form two/three ranks - QUICK MARCH" and so one did. This put the tallest on the flanks and the shortest in the centre. Try it on the kids or down the pub!

I am NOT an ex-Guardsman, but some things just do not go away. I am pretty sure it was standard drill in all units. Now I must lie down in a darkened room with a copy of the all-arms drill pamphlet and a box of Kleenex.
err......just an inclusion for us antipodeans, after the numbering we had the addition of:

"Odd numbers - PROVE!"
"Even numbers - PROVE!"

And still they'd **** that up when it came to:

"Odd numbers one pace forward, even numbers one pace rearwards - MARCH"

oooooo....I luv a parade.

err......just an inclusion for us antipodeans, after the numbering we had the addition of:

"Odd numbers - PROVE!"
"Even numbers - PROVE!"

And still they'd **** that up when it came to:

"Odd numbers one pace forward, even numbers one pace rearwards - MARCH"

oooooo....I luv a parade.
Proving is when the soldier is commanded to raise one or other of his feet, in order to count the studs in his ammo boots. I think.

"prove"... reading the drill commands above I had a vague-ish memory of the last man calling "<number> last man, sir!" and stick his left forearm out.

I know that's how we were taught at 1TRRE, as I was always the last man, for obvious reasons. And I'm sure somewhere I was picked up for doing it...

I could well be wrong here, ex Bleep see, I remember my Det Comd Cse at 11Sigs,
'75 the Ssgt DS, formed us up and bellowed

"TAKING YOU A STAGE FURTHER IN YOUR FOOT DRILL, THE MOVEMENT I AM ABOUT
TO TEACH, RIGHT TURN AT THE HALT, IS TO ENABLE AN INDIVIDUAL OR A BODY OF
MEN TO TURN THROUGH AN ANGLE OF 90 DEGREES, IN A SMART, SOLDIERLIKE AND
UNIFORM MANNER, WHICH FOR YOU LOT IS FCUKING IMPOSSIBLE"....
he was most upset when 24 Cpls burst out laughing, cue a session of Marking Time
in the Rhododendrons at the bottom of HIS FCUKIN' SQUARE....Drill is such a sweet
Pill.

Relax and look this way. I left you in this position, continue to look this way and I will give you a complete demonstration of the action to be carried out on the command SQUAD THREE

SQUAD THREE

IMMEDIATELY. On the Command. The right knee is bent in front of the body, so that the thigh is parallel to the ground, with the foot hanging naturally below the knee. The right foot is then forced to the ground to resume the correct position of attention beside the left foot. At the same time I forced both my arms into the side of the body in a smart scissor like manner. And I froze in this POSITION.

Points to note.

The body is now in the correct position of attention, ERECT AND SQUARE TO THE FRONT

Are there any questions. You the squad on carrying out these action will call out TWO.

Stand to attention adopt the last position

SQUAD THREE

Ensure now that.

Your body is in the correct position of attention. ERECT AND SQUARE TO THE FRONT.

As I pass you break off into your groups and practice ensuring that one of you gives the correct word of command.

Go round and check positions

Fall in Left

Quick March Halting by numbers Squad halt ONE
SQUAD TWO
SQUAD THREE

Relax and look this way – Brace up SQUAD. On the command STAND EASY. Relax and look this way and I will give you a complete and final demonstration of both movements

STAND EASY. Relax and look this way

Quick march SQUAD HALT

There you saw a complete and final demonstration of the movement. Are there any questions. You the squad on carrying out the movement will call out ONE, TWO on the last two movements.

Stand to attention turn to your left

Quick march SQUAD HALT

As I pass you break off into your groups and practice ensuring that one of you gives the correct word of command

Go round check positions

Fall in left

Quick march SQUAD HALT

Get fell in 3 ranks

Latest Threads