Tall tales and superstitions

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Croque_Monsieur, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if any of you have any superstitions or just things you do while shooting/hunting/reloading which have no influence on the result but make you feel better or alternatively has an influence on the result but defies scientific explanation :meditate:

Can apply to civvy or service.

Meself I just have the unshakable optimism that whenever I take one of my oldies on the range it will not blow up in my face 8O

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I remember bribing the Butt team to increase my score seemed to help. 8)

3. Hence your haemorroids?

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just goes to show grape and grain don't mix. I'll let you work out the pun. :D

5. I have this terrible superstition that if I align the sights correctly, exhale to the natural rest point of my lungs, squeeze the trigger gently, and follow through then the shot will go where I intend it to.

I really ought to shake that primitive witchery though...

6. It'll be you working it out - with a lubed up index finger and a leather strop to bite down on.

7. Curse you dark lord :skull:

8. OK confession time! Many moons ago, I was rather heavily into IPSC-style pistol shooting. Sometimes you are required to adopt the 'surrender position'. In preparation, I always used to do a rolling finger click against both palms, 'safecracker style'. I had this theory that doing this would unnerve the opposition, especially in Man Vs Man events. Of course, it had absolutely nothing to do with me trying to look 'ally as'. :D

9. Using a Wilson press, I would seat the bullet, turn it 180 degrees in the die and repeat. Makes fck all difference but I found myself doing it once and never stopped.

Loading shotgun cartridges with the headstamp the same way up each time.

10. eating charms. anybody who's had an MRE knows what they are. the story goes that if you eat charms in the field something bad will happen. seems like total tripe but consider the following: while in afg, the driver of the truck i was in decided he wanted a charm, popped it in his mouth, and promptly ran us off the road into a ditch, giving himself a concussion in the process, another soldier a few weeks later was standing chatting with some locals and pops one in his mouth. a fellow soldier walks by a moment later and slaps him on the back. soldier #1 inhales the candy and soldier #2 has to administer the heimlich on him. im not particularly superstitious, but every time i open an mre the charms are the first thing that goes in the trash.

11. I alway thought they were lucky....you mean to tell me the leprechaun LIED!

12. (My bold)

Leaving the proverbial map of Africa??? And you find this helps 8O

13. the most unlikely tale
    somebody called hardmong as been allowed with in sight of real firearms. :twisted:

14. We're all dooooooomed!

15. Code:

You've just cut and pasted this from the book "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright. I just finished reading this today.

And how would most Arrse forum users know what current USMC MRE's contain?