TalkTalk

I had a hiccup with my Vodafone broadband, one which necessitated a couple of visits as the first Openreach engineer couldn't get into the cabinet where the kit was, but the second one actually phoned me off his own back to arrange an earlier appointment. Mibbies it's worth giving Openreach a call direct, as I wouldn't rely on TalkTalk's customer service to tell me what colour the sky is.
Slight drift. How are you finding Vodafone broadband Tam? We go live on Friday. Got a great deal (hopefully).

D

Deleted 164106

Does anyone use TalkTalk for internet or telephone and is finding the service absolute shite? When it's not down its painfully bloody slow and makes our previous provider (SKY) look positively great!!
They work fine for me - but I told them I was leaving and so they (allegedly) upped the speed (as I believe the standard package has a speed limiter on it) and fixed the price.

Was with TT and used to get 7-10mb download on a good day. Switched to Vodaphone with min guarantee of 75mb for £20 including landline. TT tried to stop me leaving by offering 30mb max for £25??

endure

GCM
just as an aside.also have tt but very stable.the only annoying thing is that my router will not stay on the channel i select for it ( via the talktalk tools ), anyone suggest a remedy ? thnks in advance.excuse typing, arm in sling.
800px-Sling.jpg

BTDT

Old-Salt
Talk Talk offered minimum speeds which we never got.
We used the speed promise to leave, when they argued we told them to get it faster or we could leave.
They sent an engineer out 3 days in a row & finally they admitted the speeds would never be reached.

We are now Sky Fibre Optic and all is good.
I have been with them for about 8 years. They seldom reach their promised speeds despite several long conversations and replacement modems. I paid for a "faster fibre" boost which failed to achieve even the minimum guaranteed speed. When I cancelled the boost it took about six months to sort it out until they finally stopped charging me and gave me a refund. To be fair, the supply is fairly stable but dealing with their customer services is a nightmare. I suppose you get what you pay for.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Talk Talk have always had a shite reputation, but then life's what you make it

If you want cheap, Plusnet would be more reliable being BT's cutprice offering
tried plus net but it was worse than talk talk in my area .

TamH70

MIA
Slight drift. How are you finding Vodafone broadband Tam? We go live on Friday. Got a great deal (hopefully).
Sorry for the delayed reply.

Hmm. I had problems from the start of my Vodafone contract - constant cutting out, and rebooting the router didn't help - but it turned out that the people who refurbed my flat's electric breakout board support had crushed the phone cable leading into my flat, so half of the line's connection wasn't working.

The second engineer to come to my flat managed to diagnose the problem and fixed it in less than a day and since then the connection's been quite good.

Their customer service isn't all that great though - both from my experience and what I've read about them online.

My advice is that if you do run into problems, don't hesitate to get in touch with them.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Hmm. I had problems from the start of my Vodafone contract - constant cutting out, and rebooting the router didn't help - but it turned out that the people who refurbed my flat's electric breakout board support had crushed the phone cable leading into my flat, so half of the line's connection wasn't working.

The second engineer to come to my flat managed to diagnose the problem and fixed it in less than a day and since then the connection's been quite good.

Their customer service isn't all that great though - both from my experience and what I've read about them online.

My advice is that if you do run into problems, don't hesitate to get in touch with them.
Cheers Tam. Luckily I have a decent line so hopefully the connection will be stable. I've read some good reports on the latest Vodafone hub. That arrived yesterday. Fingers crossed then.

Been with TT for years, have had some ups and downs with them but nothing desperate.
Have recently upgraded to their Faster Fibre, which is not fibre to the house but to the nearest connection cabinet then normal wire from there on.
Average upload spead is 28mbps which is way way faster than I had before, plus they are my phone provider, all for £26 a month.

anglo

LE
Been with TT for years, have had some ups and downs with them but nothing desperate.
Have recently upgraded to their Faster Fibre, which is not fibre to the house but to the nearest connection cabinet then normal wire from there on.
Average upload spead is 28mbps which is way way faster than I had before, plus they are my phone provider, all for £26 a month.
Is that with anytime UK landline and mobiles or are they extra

Is that with anytime UK landline and mobiles or are they extra
That's any time free landline(upto an hour per call)mobiles as I recall you list x number of favourites and they are free as well. The package I am on is for 18 months(£26)and was a deal when I upgraded, be interesting to see what happens in a years time.

Other interesting thing.
A few months ago my landline stopped working(constant tone)but the broad band was working. Chatted a couple of times to TalkTalk, problem couldn't be diagnosed/fixed remotley so they arranged for an engineer to call. Couple of days later engineer from Open Reach arrived and sussed out the problem was somewhere in the house, Looping as he called it. What with building extensions and changes to the house, access to one junction box and a lot of the cabling was impossible. Easy fix, hole drilled through the wall, new cable from outside junction box, new phone socket in house, all very quick neat and tidy. The best bit, TalkTalk paid for the work :D

My own experiences with TalkTalk indicate that it's utter dog toffee.

• One of my neighbours had had his landline number since the 70's. TalkTalk allocated it to someone else, without warning.
  • My sister was on TT. Her caller ID never worked, so when she called anyone, it came up as a private number. Lots of people didn't answer. Most of the time, if I rang her number, it was unobtainable.
  • My IT biff mate was on TT. 3Mb download on a good day, never resolved. TT won't (or at least wouldn't) let you use TeamViewer, so when said IT biff was having issues, I had to go and see him in person.
  • Shite routers, especially WiFi range in fairly ordinary-sized houses.
  • Loads of issues with @talktalk.net email addresses, the biggie being when they lost thousands of users emails forever, dated before June 2016.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I was with talk talk for years then went to plus net because it was cheaper. The supply speeds and quality were abismal so I went back to Talk Talk and yup their speeds and connectivity are useless ! we can never win.
I paid £40 this year for them to turn the modem from 3.5 50 5 GHZ. Still cuts out at very odd hours !!

NSP

LE
My experience is to never go with the ISP router - they are inevitably cheap as chips and basic. Swap out the faceplate on your master socket for a built-in filter faceplate, buy a decent router (my Belkin reached the end of its natural and I've got a TP-Link Archer one from Amazon. Quick, good signal - I can connect from the flat three floors below me and even from outside in the street at my end of the building - and a clean browser interface to access the settings, loads of security extras; the list goes on). I didn't even take the TT one out of the box when I upgraded from copper to fibre (4Mbps suddenly became 35Mbps).

If you use a filter on the master socket you don't need filters on any of the extension sockets as your router is connecting straight into the line and the rest of the house is behind the filter in the master socket. Connecting to the master socket rather than an extension will give you optimal connection speed where the line enters the house. The rest comes down to how much copper is between your master socket and the fibre connection point (about 75m for me).

I was originally a Tiscali customer but they were bought-out by TT, hence my association. My email address is still @tiscali.co.uk. £25pm for phone and BB. I think that only gives me the free-for-an-hour calls to other TT numbers, though - never use the landline for outgoing calls as I have unlimited minutes and texts on my mobile.

Latest Threads