talktalk router

my router keeps jumping to a channel of its own choice, rather than the one i want it to stay on...............done talktalk tools to put router on wanted channel, does it for about half hour, then knobs off to another one......any gen appreciated..........

anglo

LE
my router keeps jumping to a channel of its own choice, rather than the one i want it to stay on...............done talktalk tools to put router on wanted channel, does it for about half hour, then knobs off to another one......any gen appreciated..........
Post removed, Misunderstood OP post

Last edited:
Your router is connected via cable to the socket on the wall, it connects to talk talk
it can't change
Do you mean your Wi-Fi is changing from your router to someone one else's router
that's in range of your computer {i.e. next door]
If this is the case
Left click on to the Wi-Fi icon in the task bar, this should bring up a window showing
all the routers in range if are disconnected underneath your router name should be a box
saying "connect automaticity" make sure this is ticked, then click "connect"

Edit, if that doesn't fix it, you will have to go into network and internet settings
In terms of @TheManFromWem ’s post, that is a pile of festering horse shit if ever there was one.

What he means is, is that having selected a preferred wifi channel on his own router from the eleven channels available for the 2.4GHz band or the 40 odd channels available for the 5GHz band, his router is defaulting back to its own default channel selection.

The 2.4GHz band is generally quite crowded and most of the channels, 8 of the eleven, overlap so it is usually best to select channel 1, 6 or 11 (on 20MHz if selectable).

The 5GHz band is far less overcrowded with only about half the channels overlapping. Usually the router will sort this out itself.

With regard to the Talk Talk router... fcuk knows why it is not retaining user selected channels. Sorry. Never been with TT and thus never seen, never mind used their router but generally, ISP routers are built down the the lowest possible price and are adequate at best for the average plug and play user.

@bobthedog may be on the right track for anybody who needs more features than an ISP router can provide.

Dr Death

Old-Salt
If you are still in Wem then that's the problem, a backwater village I remember well from childhood.
To be honest just ask CrapCrap for a new router & they should send you as your one sounds u/s

anglo

LE
In terms of @TheManFromWem ’s post, that is a pile of festering horse shit if ever there was one.

What he means is, is that having selected a preferred wifi channel on his own router from the eleven channels available for the 2.4GHz band or the 40 odd channels available for the 5GHz band, his router is defaulting back to its own default channel selection.

The 2.4GHz band is generally quite crowded and most of the channels, 8 of the eleven, overlap so it is usually best to select channel 1, 6 or 11 (on 20MHz if selectable).

The 5GHz band is far less overcrowded with only about half the channels overlapping. Usually the router will sort this out itself.

With regard to the Talk Talk router... fcuk knows why it is not retaining user selected channels. Sorry. Never been with TT and thus never seen, never mind used their router but generally, ISP routers are built down the the lowest possible price and are adequate at best for the average plug and play user.

@bobthedog may be on the right track for anybody who needs more features than an ISP router can provide.
Fixed

From a quick google (other search engines are available) it appears Talk Tlak routers regularly check to see if there is a better channel and switches to the best one available. This "feature" means you cannot permanantly set a channel. You should be able to see the best channel via the dashboard.

There is an app for Android that allows you to see the usage of the channels in the local area of your phone. It is named Wifi Analyser, it is invaluable in allowing you to see a representation of the wifi channels that are being used by local routers, on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band. If possible you should select the least used channels to try to get the best out of any router. The app shows the signal strength of your router and allows you to plan your wireless channel utilisation. I live in quite a densely populated area so any help you can give your router to communicate can improve your situation enormously. It should be noted if you build a larger network in your home using powerline repeaters you can utilise 2 different channels to cover areas of your house if you wish.

@TheManFromWem

From a recent talk talk community post...

“However our Products Team have advised if you are experiencing issues and would prefer to select your own wireless channels then we can arrange for Wi-Fi optimisation technology to be switched off on your line. Would you like us to switch this off for you?“​

Perhaps you need to talk to TT re having the firmware‘s 'wifi optimisation technology‘ switched off...

tHANK you all for the excellent and succinct replies.....will attempt to pursue and rectify..( hopfully ).....regards, Howard.

dragon825

War Hero
I take it you are using the 192.168.1.1 ip address to change the channels I'm sure somewhere in the settings you can override the auto channel selection

If you are still in Wem then that's the problem, a backwater village I remember well from childhood.
To be honest just ask CrapCrap for a new router & they should send you as your one sounds u/s
WEM, Wet , Empty and Miserable, but far better than some camp postings you chaps seem to relish.(masochists, maybe)).....nothing to prove here, move along..h6ukvet

I take it you are using the 192.168.1.1 ip address to change the channels I'm sure somewhere in the settings you can override the auto channel selection
He can change channels. It seems that the latest firmware incorporates ‘automatic channel optimisation‘ which overrides his manual selection.

See post #10 above - Talk Talk can and will switch off the channel optimisation on request by the user.

Why do you want it fixed to a certain channel?

thank you. will investigate the settings menu again in more detail.

to avoid local interference on both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz ( very crowded rf environment here)....
Router will do that automatically... just let it do its thing.

Router will do that automatically... just let it do its thing.
Some routers will do it better than others. I leave my non ISP router* to it but my ISP modem/router was always better on a user selected channel rather than leaving it to get on with it.

ISP routers are invariably built down to the lowest price possible to perform at the most rudimentary level with as little user interference and thus, the lowest support overhead possible.

*If you called the ISP help desk for support, the first three things on the script were always:
  • Is your router connected directly to the OR master socket? If not, make it so.
  • Have you split your SSIDs? No? Ok, we’ll do that next...
  • Have you selected channel 1, 6, or 11 for the 2.4GHz band? No? Ok, to do this... (5GHz does tend to be less problematic if left alone).

Do you know where the channel settings are because I have searched high and low on the 192.168.1.1 page and cannot find them for love nor money?

Latest Threads