TalkTalk announces free broadband for armed forces

Just saw this on the MSE Armed Forces board.
Opinions chaps?

http://www.broadband-finder.co.uk/news/talk-talk/talktalk-announces-free-broadband-for-armed-forces_19858270.html

Members of the Army, Navy and Royal Air Force will be receiving free broadband from TalkTalk as the organisation gets behind British Armed Forces Day.

Writing for the company's blog, communications director Mark Schmid said service personnel "deserve recognition" and so the offer is being extended to them and their families.

According to Mr Schmid, the offer is only available for a limited amount of time, so anyone who is interested in signing up, or knows of someone who would be, should contact the organisation as soon as possible.

"As well as getting free high-speed broadband for 12 months, armed forces personnel will benefit from a call package that include free evening and weekend calls to any UK landline," he added.

The executive allayed fears that switching over broadband provider may be troublesome, claiming that TalkTalk will engineer the process to ensure armed services members are able to start making savings "straight away".

He said that the deal is exclusive and the company noted it will help individuals to save £6.99 a month in fees. However, Mr Schmid did highlight that it will cost £29.99 to connect to the TalkTalk service.

The organisation claimed that signing up could help people to save £198 more in the first year than if they were currently subscribed to BT, based on discounted subscription feeds, connection costs and line rental charges.

Those looking to support British Armed Forces Day were advised to visit the campaign's website to obtain more information on events going on around the country.

Are you eligible for the deal?

Talk Talk broadband is crap, wouldn't like to guess how often my connection drops. But some days I get no broadband at all, My average speed is 1.2meg on a good day. As soon as Virgin put the fibreoptic cabling in (Due November) Talk talk can kiss my arrse.

Nice gesture from them though. Why only a limited period?

Sinner251 said:
Talk Talk broadband is crap, wouldn't like to guess how often my connection drops. But some days I get no broadband at all, My average speed is 1.2meg on a good day. As soon as Virgin put the fibreoptic cabling in (Due November) Talk talk can kiss my arrse.

To annoy whining miserable c*nts like you.

He said that the deal is exclusive and the company noted it will help individuals to save £6.99 a month in fees. However, Mr Schmid did highlight that it will cost £29.99 to connect to the TalkTalk service.

What Mr Schmid failed to mention:

Our Essentials phone and broadband package is subject to status, acceptance & availability in your area. A one-off £29.99 connection fee applies. You must take £11.49 monthly line rental. The minimum contact length is 18-months (24 month minimum term applies at The Carphone Warehouse). Please be aware other conditions also apply. If you require a new or reconnected phone line you will need to pay a one-off £69.99 connection fee & will be subject to a credit check. Monthly payments must be made by direct debit only.
A brief overview of the T&Cs, note the Cancellation Policy:

Transferring or Terminating your Broadband Service
4.24 You may need to obtain a Migration Authorisation Code (“MAC”) from your current
broadband provider in order to move to our Broadband Service. This MAC will be valid
only for a limited period and can only be used once. You accept that we may charge
you if you are moving your broadband from another provider to us. For further details
about MAC’s or of these charges please call Customer Services or visit our Website.
4.25 If you terminate your Broadband Service prior to the end of the Minimum Period you
must pay us the amount set out in clause 10.8 below. The same applies if your
telephone line is disconnected for any other reason such that we can no longer provide
you with our Broadband Service.

Termination by You
10.4 If you wish to cancel a Service, the following will apply:
10.4.1 to end the Call Service, you must tell us in writing 15 days in advance of leaving
us.
10.4.2 to end the Broadband Service or the Mobile Service, you must tell us in writing
30 days in advance of leaving us;
10.4.3 to end a Boost, you need to advise us at least 48 (fourty eight) hours notice prior
to the end of the 30-day billing period that applies to your TalkTalk account
through your online account which can be accessed at
talktalk.co.uk/myaccount;
10.4.4 to end the LR Service, you must tell us in writing 30 days in advance of leaving
us. However, if you are leaving us to go to another telephone company, we will
consider that you have given appropriate notice as soon as when we receive
notice from your new provider. In other words, you will not be required to give
us 30 days written notice in this instance.
10.5 If you wish to end this Contract, you must either call Customer Services or write to us at
TalkTalk Telecom Limited, Stanford House, Garrett Field, Birchwood, Warrington,
Cheshire, WA3 7BH stating your name, address and TalkTalk CPS Telephone number,
or Mobile Phone number as appropriate. Any legal proceedings that may be issued by
you can only be served by sending them to: The Company Secretary, The Group Legal
Department, TalkTalk Telecom Limited, 1 Portal Way, London, W3 6RS.

Payments Due on Termination
10.8 If your Contract has a Minimum Period and you terminate the Service before the end of
that Minimum Period you must pay us, as compensation for our losses:
10.8.1 in respect of termination of TalkTalk Essentials or any other Tariff Plan not
listed in 10.8.2 or 10.8.3 below, the sum of £8.00 multiplied by the number of
months remaining of your Minimum Period;
10.8.2 in respect of termination of TalkTalk Pro, the sum of £13.50 multiplied by the
number of months remaining of your Minimum Period; or
10.8.3 in respect of termination of a Calls Service only, the sum of £3.00 multiplied by
the number of months remaining of your Minimum Period.
Full details & Fine Print:
http://media.talktalk.co.uk/sites/TalkTalk/Global/PDF/Complete.pdf

Personally I wouldn't touch then with a barge pole.

I've already binned them once, and they took ages to issue a MAC, way beyond OFCOMS recommended guidelines.

Regrettably, due to current circumstances, I'm using them again at a new location and they are still utterly pants! Poor speeds, non-existent customer service and generally awful.

For further reading and for better suggestions look here:

www.thinkbroadband.com (used to be ADSLguide)

Old |New York saying - "There's no such thing as a free lunch"

Rufus-T-Firefly said:
Sinner251 said:

To annoy whining miserable c*nts like you.

As a Civvy I'm not eligible for the offer, I just think its a cheap publicity stunt. They'll make the offer for x amount of time but forever after claim "We're the forces friend".
So someone serving now can get it, Say Private Rufus-T-Fucknuckle but Private Bloggs serving can't because he only joined after you.
But you will be both be serving? Very fair of TalkTalk.

As to being a "c*unt" I'll assume you mean "Cunt"?
If so not guilty I'm afraid, a cunt looks better, smells nicer and even Jarrod wouldn't want to lick me. (The part about Jarrod is probably wrong).

Right enough typing to an idiot with nothing constructive to add and thinks every forum is the NAAFI, I'm off to the beach.

P.S. Rufus T Fucknuckle do you forces discount on your Deckchairs.