Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talking in the 3rd person.

Due to boredom, I keep thinking of ways to entertain myself and pass the time. The majority of my work, involves baiting and goading the long haired CO, as it is top sport!

My latest game, is talking in the 3rd person. "Charlie really likes this cup of tea". She is getting to screaming/apoplectic level, which is nice.

Have you ever met/worked with/known a complete knob jockey who spoke in this way?

Charlie4 would like your stories!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Trump thinks a pronoun is a name for a whore and he's trying to distance himself from allegations of historic business therewith, in case it damages his immaculate reputation.

Due to boredom, I keep thinking of ways to entertain myself and pass the time. The majority of my work, involves baiting and goading the long haired CO, as it is top sport!

My latest game, is talking in the 3rd person. "Charlie really likes this cup of tea". She is getting to screaming/apoplectic level, which is nice.

Have you ever met/worked with/known a complete knob jockey who spoke in this way?

Charlie4 would like your stories!

No.

And I sense a John Wayne Bobbitt may happen soon.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes I do - he is the knob known as @Charlie4. ;)

Slight thread drift, but 'talking' and 'sport' ...

Are you from 'Oop North?'

When dealing with officious, 'clipboard' (mainly public sector) types who have been on all the courses on how to handle difficult situations and are so terribly adonyne and bland, but also perfectly Pc right to the end of their little tippy toes.

I amuse messel' if I'm bored by chucking an odd 'Luv' into the conversation....
Bloke or Lass, it doesn't really matter...
You can tell if you've got a bite by the pause and intake of breath..
Of course being a thick peasant from a Northern heartland scarred by industrial decline, the 'Luv' concerned is of course a colloquially correct, traditional and friendly form of address in these parts.

Those under 30 bite best, as do the higher echelons of Plod (don't ask) or Civil Service.
If one can hook one of a Southern demographic, they seem to be least able to conceal their frustration..
I know it's sad, but it's usually more fun than talking to the cows most days.

Slight thread drift, but 'talking' and 'sport' ...

Are you from 'Oop North?'

When dealing with officious, 'clipboard' (mainly public sector) types who have been on all the courses on how to handle difficult situations and are so terribly adonyne and bland, but also perfectly Pc right to the end of their little tippy toes.

I amuse messel' if I'm bored by chucking an odd 'Luv' into the conversation....
Bloke or Lass, it doesn't really matter...
You can tell if you've got a bite by the pause and intake of breath..
Of course being a thick peasant from a Northern heartland scarred by industrial decline, the 'Luv' concerned is of course a colloquially correct, traditional and friendly form of address in these parts.

Those under 30 bite best, as do the higher echelons of Plod (don't ask) or Civil Service.
If one can hook one of a Southern demographic, they seem to be least able to conceal their frustration..
I know it's sad, but it's usually more fun than talking to the cows most days.

I like the cut of your jib!

Unvortunately, down ere in thy wezt cuntry, we doint get many vizitors to play with on I farm.

ETA My Luuver!

For a bit of variation, try "Charlie says this tea is gopping. Wazzock."

Then maybe Charlie will get something he likes.

I like the cut of your jib!

Unvortunately, down ere in thy wezt cuntry, we doint get many vizitors to play with on I farm.

ETA My Luuver!

Yeah, but you've got them odd buggers from Debbun to play with . . .

Back on thread: a few years ago, Lady GaGa went through a phase of referring to herself in the third person: her terribly woke hangers-on lapped it up. When being interviewed (which is how I became aware of it, and had to watch it through to it's bum-clenching end), it came across as complete and utter shite.

Yeah, but you've got them odd buggers from Debbun to play with . . .

Back on thread: a few years ago, Lady GaGa went through a phase of referring to herself in the third person: her terribly woke hangers-on lapped it up. When being interviewed (which is how I became aware of it, and had to watch it through to it's bum-clenching end), it came across as complete and utter shite.
She? Herself? That's a dude, dude.

Are you the rotten bastard who bit his brother's finger? I've seen the video on YT.

Yokel

LE
First person: I like this cup of tea.
Second person: You make a nice cup of tea.
Third person: Charlie likes this cup of tea.

What about One makes a nice cup of tea, or Tea was made and satisfied all those that consumed it?

Is 'One' simply more formal that 'I' or 'You'? Is the passive tense in technical writing simply to focus on the object and not the person? The circuit was constructed and not John constructed the circuit.

Faultfinding revealed that human error had caused several connections to be missed
and not I am sorry I forgot to connect everything, I was too busy looking out of the window and watching the girl with nice legs and tight shorts bending over.

Last edited:
I've always preferred the active voice, as in 'make me a nice cup of tea'. No ambiguity and a simple clear instruction. To oil the social wheels, one may add please as an addendum.

When I first started work it was for a County Council Survey Department and we were told to always write in the third person as we were writing on behalf of the authority and representing the authority. To write as first person made it "personal" and that was not acceptable (this was waaaay waaaaaay back in the 1980's, oh heck 38 years ago!!!). I still do it for work stuff, sometimes it seems very old fashioned but I guess I am too now :-(

Second person You make a nice cup of tea.

What about One makes a nice cup of tea, or Tea was made and satisfied all those that consumed it?

Is 'One' simply more formal that 'I' or 'You'? Is the passive tense in technical writing simply to focus on the object and not the person? The circuit was constructed and not John constructed the circuit.

Faultfinding reveal that human error had caused several connections to be missed
and not I am sorry I forgot to connect everything, I was too busy looking out of the window and watching the girl with nice legs and tight shorts bending over.
Thou hast made a good point, and we have given you a 'like'.

RedDinger

Old-Salt
I've just received a few CV's written in the third person. They read more like references than CV's.

I think it would be good if people used more subjunctive mood.

Niamac

GCM
In Scottish;

"Well if the Laird believes that....."

indicates a severe falling-out about to occur. Look out Laird.

Second person You make a nice cup of tea.

Faultfinding reveal that human error had caused several connections to be missed

1593001554406.png

I've always preferred the active voice, as in 'make me a nice cup of tea'. No ambiguity and a simple clear instruction. To oil the social wheels, one may add please as an addendum.

Preempted with "Yo Bitch?"

Latest Threads