Talk-back CCTV

OldRedCap said:
As I understand it, some valuable evidence regarding the 7/7 bombers was cctv evidence. I do not worry about busy-body old Mrs Jones at 73 My Street looking through her curtains all the time so why get all het up at someone watching me on tv? It might be that some yobs decide to attack me in broad daylight - cctv might ID them and/or get a medic to me quicker that otherwise. If cctv will film kids vandalising my car, I'd be happy with that too. To me, cctv does not impinge on what I do, where I do it or whom I do it with. But then, I lead an innocent life and have nothing to hide.
Buit who is the "somebody" watching you, and why are they watching? What's the agenda of the organisation paying that watcher?

CCTV might bring aid in distress to you, but should you - as some people apparently do - rely on it, instead of using other channels for summoning aid?

You, like most of us, lead a blameless life - but stop and consider the possibility that the watchers do not approve of your life, and may seek to subvert it. Or to misrepresent innocent behaviour.

Personal privacy is as precious a right as freedom of speech, and we surrender it at our longterm peril.

caubeen said:
OldRedCap said:
As I understand it, some valuable evidence regarding the 7/7 bombers was cctv evidence. I do not worry about busy-body old Mrs Jones at 73 My Street looking through her curtains all the time so why get all het up at someone watching me on tv? It might be that some yobs decide to attack me in broad daylight - cctv might ID them and/or get a medic to me quicker that otherwise. If cctv will film kids vandalising my car, I'd be happy with that too. To me, cctv does not impinge on what I do, where I do it or whom I do it with. But then, I lead an innocent life and have nothing to hide.
Buit who is the "somebody" watching you, and why are they watching? What's the agenda of the organisation paying that watcher?

CCTV might bring aid in distress to you, but should you - as some people apparently do - rely on it, instead of using other channels for summoning aid?

You, like most of us, lead a blameless life - but stop and consider the possibility that the watchers do not approve of your life, and may seek to subvert it. Or to misrepresent innocent behaviour.

Personal privacy is as precious a right as freedom of speech, and we surrender it at our longterm peril.
Well that will do for me, even a small little extra chance will help.

Biped said:
I may have nothing to hide, but I should be able to do what I fecking well please without feeling the need to hide it anyway.

CCTV (and some doss cnut behind it) watching me walk down the road, some doss cnut in the council weighing my fecking bins, some doss cnut from the planning department walking around my fecking bedroom, some doss cnut rolling my DNA across his computer, some other doss cnut barcoding my child from birth so that social fcuking services doss cnuts can follw her progress through borstal, some doss cnut flying over my house to evaluate my fcuking view, some other doss cnut tracking my vehicle as I drive to the shops, and not to mention a bunch of doss cnuts looking at my spending habits on my credit card.

Quite frankly, I'm really fcuked off with all these fcuking busy-body, no life cocks making my life their fcuking business and the last thing I want (apart from knowing the cnuts are watching my sh!t) is having the lazy, bone idle TOSSERS talking to me in the street from some bl00dy camera.

I know what I'd say to them!!!! :twisted:

Moderators, please excuse my language, BUT, my personal liberty is being stolen without my consent and it rather annoys me.
I too do not agree with all that is/may be happening, but CCTV I DO agree with.
I do not feel the need to hide anything I do in public and cannot understand why anyone else would want to hide what they do in public either.

Pipers bonnet wrote

Living in a free society has certain costs. Accepting the rules of society is one of those. Until a majority of the population rises up against any element of those rules, I will accept them. I have no personal history that comvinces me that cctv is evil, that those watching/using it are evil or that the observations will be used to my detriment. I say this as an ordinary Joes and as someone who had control of a very large and sophisticated cctv system (with loudspeaker facility).
On the specific point of an alternative method of summoning assistance, I cannot think of any alternative that has much going for it. Shouting out? Who will hear? Who on hearing will do anything positive? Rape alarm type thingy - same points as shouting out. Mobile phone? "Please wait Mr Attacker while I get my phone out, dial 999 and asnwer the operators questions as to who I want and where I am" That seems to be the end of the alternatives.
To recap. I do not care who sees what I do. I do nothing that is of interest to even the most warped watcher. If there are others who are worried about their actions, that is their business. Do not deprive me of a valued asset because of your phobia or hang-up about privacy.

OldRedCap said:
Pipers bonnet wrote

Living in a free society has certain costs. Accepting the rules of society is one of those. Until a majority of the population rises up against any element of those rules, I will accept them. I have no personal history that comvinces me that cctv is evil, that those watching/using it are evil or that the observations will be used to my detriment. I say this as an ordinary Joes and as someone who had control of a very large and sophisticated cctv system (with loudspeaker facility).
On the specific point of an alternative method of summoning assistance, I cannot think of any alternative that has much going for it. Shouting out? Who will hear? Who on hearing will do anything positive? Rape alarm type thingy - same points as shouting out. Mobile phone? "Please wait Mr Attacker while I get my phone out, dial 999 and asnwer the operators questions as to who I want and where I am" That seems to be the end of the alternatives.
To recap. I do not care who sees what I do. I do nothing that is of interest to even the most warped watcher. If there are others who are worried about their actions, that is their business. Do not deprive me of a valued asset because of your phobia or hang-up about privacy.
ORC, I don't doubt your blameless life, and your innocence in operating a CCTV system in the past. I applaud them!

CCTV is not inherently evil, but it has vast potential for evil use in the wrong hands. That is the nub of the problem.

You're quite right about society and its rules. In a good, orderly society anyone seeing or hearing another human being in distress would do something about it. That mutual interdependence of the members of a society is something worth fostering, and teaching to our kids.

What's not good is for society to be so fragmented that people pass by on the other side, unconcerned, assuming that someone will be monitoring the CCTV and will call the emergency services. It's an abdication of personal responsibility and duty.

Today, many people will walk on by and aim "not to get involved", but that's a sign of a decaying society. We need to have more genuine "involvement" in the well-being of our fellow man, and less intrusion by monitoring devices.

The man said "CCTV is not inherently evil, but it has vast potential for evil use in the wrong hands. That is the nub of the problem"
Ah! That is an argument I recognise. I cannot think of anything that we have on this earth that does not have "vast potential for evil use in the wrong hands". Motor cars, what we discharge to the environment, medical drugs and procedures, radio - even the internet itself. Even our brains. That is what is at work here - your brain senses threats in all everyday objects. Like my pointer dog when hunting. My job there is to refocus her mind with reassurance and direct her to the job in hand. Then we live in harmony. I cannot offer to rewire your mind round the phobia but can bear this condition in mind when I read your valued postings in this forum.

We have a system of digital cameras and each has a megahone attached.

It's not new tech, its been around awhile its often used by buildings which are empty but monitored by Security firms miles away.

I used it the other day to talk to someone we knew to tell them they had left their car lights on in the car-park and they damn well nearly sh!t themselves.

Everytime we have used (not many) it the person being spoke to actually crouches slightly like they are about to be struck by someone or something.

Must admit our volume on the megaphones may be a tad high LOL

I'm sorry but my view has always been if your not doing anything wrong why worry.

mad_mac

War Hero
Napoleon_Bunnyparte said:
I'm sorry but my view has always been if your not doing anything wrong why worry.
The nothing to hide, nothing to fear quote.

I personally value what is left of my private life.

Although the UK is the most watched society in the Western civilised world, I see no evidence of a proportional crime rate decrease.

Link for Sven:

CCTV everywhere in UK

I would rather invest this money in increasing PC Plod presence and get him back onto the streets, instead of behind computers, or compiling paperwork.

The introduction of all this modern surveillance gadgetry reinforces my conviction that modern policing methods have failed, and there is now a huge gulf of trust between the public and the police. I do not blame the frontline PC, but the ACPOs and police hierachy nodding agreement to achieve Liarbours statistical legerdarme crime detection targets.

Placing the police back into society is a more constructive way of deterring crime, rather than relying on inanimate recording media to do a humans job.

OldRedCap said:
The man said "CCTV is not inherently evil, but it has vast potential for evil use in the wrong hands. That is the nub of the problem"
Ah! That is an argument I recognise. I cannot think of anything that we have on this earth that does not have "vast potential for evil use in the wrong hands". Motor cars, what we discharge to the environment, medical drugs and procedures, radio - even the internet itself. Even our brains. That is what is at work here - your brain senses threats in all everyday objects. Like my pointer dog when hunting. My job there is to refocus her mind with reassurance and direct her to the job in hand. Then we live in harmony. I cannot offer to rewire your mind round the phobia but can bear this condition in mind when I read your valued postings in this forum.
The potential for evil of that particular system, and cell-phone monitoring and car trackers (possibly to be made compulsory by a future govt. in lieu of road tax) do worry me frankly, because they can be so very intrusive into privacy.

Do you have working pointers? I've always had working setters, and get huge satisfaction from watching those uncanny noses finding things for us both. I'd far sooner leave the gun at home than the dogs.

caubeen said:
Recruiting midwives as chippers is the obvious starting-point.
Safe enough then, if you left a locked box containing three ballbearings in any hospital department (let alone one containing midwitches), within half an hour one would be missing, one would be broken and one would be covered in mepore tape.

I think the chances of midwifes chipping people and getting the right chip into the right person has odds of 10/6 against

flamingo said:
caubeen said:
Recruiting midwives as chippers is the obvious starting-point.
Safe enough then, if you left a locked box containing three ballbearings in any hospital department (let alone one containing midwitches), within half an hour one would be missing, one would be broken and one would be covered in mepore tape.

I think the chances of midwifes chipping people and getting the right chip into the right person has odds of 10/6 against
A foul calumny on a noble profession of stout women! Or do I mean a stout profession of noble women? Or noblewomen?

But I see what you are driving at, anent the NHS.

But what hideous fate would befall the escaped, unchipped infant? He'd be a non-person, a lusus naturae, a pariah to the State. Enter King Herod.

Biped said:
The gummint is rolling out talking CCTV systems across the country to stop people from doing naughty things.

Imagine you are walking around minding your own business, when suddenly a voice can be heard overhead saying "You, yes you, with the sawn-off shotgun and the bag of swag. Please stay where you are and await the forces of law and disorder to attend to you. You will shortly be removed to a centre for re-educashiun and released tomorrow".
they got that system at the place I'm storing my house contents ....in Liverpool :roll:

caubeen said:
Do you have working pointers? I've always had working setters, and get huge satisfaction from watching those uncanny noses finding things for us both. I'd far sooner leave the gun at home than the dogs.
Just the one. She is so biddable and downright clever, one is all my brain can keep up with

OldRedCap said:
caubeen said:
Just the one. She is so biddable and downright clever, one is all my brain can keep up with
Well done you!

"English" pointer or GSP/GWP, I wonder? I've shot over wonderful examples of all - tho' I confess a sneaking fondness for the "English", assuming the owner's got the right country/weather to run them in. GSP/GWP far better for most general UK situations, I think.

I've always had Irish red setters. And always bitches, which are IMHO more clever and also more biddable. "As cute [in the Irish sense of the word] as a cartload of monkeys", and bloody marvellous game-finders. And they're natural retrievers. And they teach me so much every time I let them out.

When their pace eventually slows with age, they make up for it with cunning and experience. I'd like to be able to emulate them . . . . :lol:

Even their cast hair, tied into trout flies, brings home the goods. :D

Burrd-dawgs??!! Love em! :1:

GSP. A Jennaline product. I don't shoot now - saw the bag one day all sad feathers and blood and asked myself what the fu*k was that all about. We still have loads of fun finding and pointing. I kick them out and go Bang. She's happy with that.

OldRedCap said:
GSP. A Jennaline product. I don't shoot now - saw the bag one day all sad feathers and blood and asked myself what the fu*k was that all about. We still have loads of fun finding and pointing. I kick them out and go Bang. She's happy with that.
Amen to that. I've shot my share, too. It's why I often do leave the gun at home, far preferring the dogs' company.They show me, or teach me, something new every single day in life, and I bless 'em for it. To be born with a nose like that must be like a deaf/dumb/blind man suddenly discovering the very best of good conversation/cinema/TV. And knowing how to avoid the worst.

And the Jennaline strain is very good. I (briefly) had a cracking J'line bitch years back, but she fought with one of my setter bitches, so it was (with huge regret) "last in, first out". She made a FTCh in the hands of the bloke who took her.

When I shuffle off, I'd love to be reincarnated as a setter/pointer, preferably owned by someone like my wife. A near-perfect life in the field and at home . . . .

None of which has a damn' thing to do with CCTV, but hey ho!

Happy Easter to you!!

mad_mac said:
I do not blame the front line PC, but the ACPOs and police hierarchy nodding agreement to achieve Labour's statistical legerdemain crime detection targets.
I do! If every front line copper marched in to their boss's office, slapped their Warrant Cards on his/her desk and told him/her to ram it, instead of blithely accepting it all for fear of their pension then things would change overnight. This hard-pressed copper line doesn't wash. Don't like all the government-induced bullshit? Resign.

Likewise, the oft-quoted 'nothing to fear, nothing to hide' claptrap doesn't wash either. We are heading towards a totalitarian state at a rapid rate of knots. All these security 'measures' that are being implemented mean nothing to the miscreants, but they mean everything to you - or rather will do when the 'nothing to fear, nothing to hide' CCTV clocks you giving some chav cnut the good news for trashing your Mondeo in your driveway (that's the one you've incurred extra Council Tax for the privilege of having).

mad_mac

War Hero
BuckFelize said:
I do! If every front line copper marched in to their boss's office, slapped their Warrant Cards on his/her desk and told him/her to ram it, instead of blithely accepting it all for fear of their pension then things would change overnight. This hard-pressed copper line doesn't wash. Don't like all the government-induced bullshit? Resign.
I was always under the impression that with the privilege of promotion came accountability. This accountability swings both ways, to superiors and subordinates alike.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO)is an independent, professionally led strategic body. In the public interest and, in equal and active partnership with Government and the Association of Police Authorities, ACPO leads and coordinates the direction and development of the police service in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In times of national need ACPO - on behalf of all chief officers - coordinates the strategic policing response.
If the direction is wrong, who endorsed the direction and under whose advice?

6. To provide appropriate member services to our members.
This association quite clearly is the body responsible to not only Government, but also to the Police Officers. If there is a lack of representation of the PCs perspective with with regard to front line crime detection the onus must be on this Association and the Chief Constables.

I am sure many coppers are doing exactly what you said and through dissillusionment are throwing their hand in. This will not solve the problem. The problem is merely compounded, as the recruitment pool will attract those of the same strategic pursuation of the current Government/ACPO.

BuckFelize said:
mad_mac said:
I do not blame the front line PC, but the ACPOs and police hierarchy nodding agreement to achieve Labour's statistical legerdemain crime detection targets.

Likewise, the oft-quoted 'nothing to fear, nothing to hide' claptrap doesn't wash either. We are heading towards a totalitarian state at a rapid rate of knots. All these security 'measures' that are being implemented mean nothing to the miscreants, but they mean everything to you - or rather will do when the 'nothing to fear, nothing to hide' CCTV clocks you giving some chav cnut the good news for trashing your Mondeo in your driveway (that's the one you've incurred extra Council Tax for the privilege of having).
I'm inclined to agree in almost every detail.

Which is why I plan to retire to Namibia. By the time they've wired that vast, empty place up with blanket-coverage CCTV, I'll be long gone.

Sad in a way, because on principle I'd have liked to remain in the UK. But almost every new development seems to make it a worse place for the likes of you and me, and a happier hunting-ground for those who are outside society and, increasingly, beyond the law.

Latest Threads