Talk about a bunch of NIMBYs

Some moved away (average of three miles - still "local"), couple moved to Spain and Australia, one relocated in the Brish Isles and continues fishing off the coast of Scotland.

My point was that this scenario, happens in just about every rural community to one extent or another. Yes, I sympathise for the fishermen in this story, the post earlier "villiages evolve" is close to the point. The views of "traditionalists" versus "incomers" who view their postcard outlook, over the interests of existing economic and social / cultural considerations is pretty crass, especially when their presence is of such a temporary nature. The mindset of many being purely short-term financial gain (which has a certain irony in the present market conditions).

I suppose there's a rough analogy here, to another country having something that we want, moving out there setting up home and then using our financial strength, political and legal influence to get what we want, whilst local communities live through the impact. Ah, hold on.

Sparky2339 said:
chocolate_frog said:
Sparky2339 said:
To paraphrase a french hoity toity from yonks ago....

Let them eat Pilchards!!! (that piece of advice might have delayed the revolution - mebbe no).

Naw its Burns Day the day - better off wi Haggis, Neeps n Tatties!!! :D

Ma laddie loves surfin doon there - I'm too auld fur that but quite happy surfin fi the hoose.
No one knows if this was actually said, and if so the "cake" bit is a mis translation of bread type of France. But not a cake as we would know it.

Bit like the "ich bin Berliner" hoo hah.

I had to work just south of Manchester once, and at lunchtime went into a shop and asked for a cob. They didn't have a clue what I meant!

Cake as in bread?? I've often heard Yorkshiremen ask for bread-cakes when they mean baps or morning rolls.

Tha'll beee reeeet!!! :D

A Tattie Scone beats them aw tho'!!!

Sparky2339 said:
chocolate_frog said:
Sparky2339 said:
To paraphrase a french hoity toity from yonks ago....

Let them eat Pilchards!!! (that piece of advice might have delayed the revolution - mebbe no).

Naw its Burns Day the day - better off wi Haggis, Neeps n Tatties!!! :D

Ma laddie loves surfin doon there - I'm too auld fur that but quite happy surfin fi the hoose.
No one knows if this was actually said, and if so the "cake" bit is a mis translation of bread type of France. But not a cake as we would know it.

Bit like the "ich bin Berliner" hoo hah.

I had to work just south of Manchester once, and at lunchtime went into a shop and asked for a cob. They didn't have a clue what I meant!

Cake as in bread?? I've often heard Yorkshiremen ask for bread-cakes when they mean baps or morning rolls.

Tha'll beee reeeet!!! :D

A Tattie Scone beats them aw tho'!!!

sorry, it went wrong & didnt post what I said. I had said that I had to work just south of Manchester once, and, at lunchtime, went intoa shop and asked for a cob. They didn't have a clue what I meant! I think they called them tea-cakes, which, IMHO, means something with currants in

B

Biscuits_AB

semper said:
this is not a new problem, in the South East many locals are priced out of Villages that several GenerationS of their Families have lived, now becoming a Stockbroker belt empty during the day with the daily commute to London.
You're in the cadets aren't you?

B

Biscuits_AB

semper said:
EdwardCoke said:
Sven said:
Biscuits_AB said:
jagman said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Why not. It would have sank f*cking years ago without the influx of the new money.
Bollox
Local are you? Thought not.
The situation is somewhat replicated in my part of the world. All that happens when rich outsiders come in is that they want to keep the landscape that they 'paid for', house prices go up local people get forced out.
Yes. Its called trying to protect the value of your assets. You wouldn't want a pikey camp outside your house would you?

I don't think you can compare the two situations in the same way, Pikeys contribute nothing to the Community, but like these absentee tenants, and they leave a lot of bad feelings behind when they move on, it will split the Village into two, it will no longer be a Paradise for them especially if feeling went high enough to firebombing holiday homes and being banned from the local Pub.

Jetties are used in many coastal Villages and doesn't detract from the value of the area, if anything it will add to the viability of the Village and is safer than the current method of landing catches, these Townies cannot be allowed to preserve the Village in aspic for their own benefit, it will destroy the fabric of the Village they so aspire to, all Villages evolve its is a living community, it will change and must change to remain viable.

I personally think that you should live in any community for a continous period of 6 month to qualify for any say in any planning applications, council meeting, if you are not part of the community then you have no say in it.
Personally, I think that you should leave small boys alone, but I would imagine that it's become a habit with you now.