Talk about a bunch of NIMBYs

rockhoppercrab said:
See how they like the view from a burnt out second home :twisted:
My thoughts too.

I think these second home owners should tread very carefully as there will be folks out there willing to carry out such acts in order to move them on.

Closet_Jibber said:
rockhoppercrab said:
See how they like the view from a burnt out second home :twisted:
My thoughts too.

I think these second home owners should tread very carefully as there will be folks out there willing to carry out such acts in order to move them on.
Shortly to see the Cornish version of the Sons of Glyndwr (sp?) then? :D

You only need to burn one to blow the bottom out of the areas housing market

Biscuits_AB said:
theloggie said:
Because they are rich they have forced a judicial review which will really screw the fishermen as they can't compete on financial grounds in the courts.
I doubt that you have a shred of evidence with which to support this?
Actually Biscuits I can:

"The judicial review should come to a decision in the next couple of months. "

At the very bottom of the article (not comments) at the following link:

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...in_fight_for_jetty___TV_will_show_both_sides/

You aren't one of the rich ones are you???

And with over £1 million of fish a year I'm fairly sure this community can support itself.

vvaannmmaann said:
And just who was it that sold these properties to the incomers in the first place?
another incomer and an incomer before that probably. At the base of the chain a local who sold at a much lower premium.

Biscuits_AB said:
F*ck the fishermen. I say we support the rich people!!!
Surely the fisherman are among the rich people. Did they complain when selling their houses to outsiders for mega inflated prices when the market was buoyant?

I have lived and worked in Cornwall.....Fishermen are always .....wingeing & whinning there are a lot of poor people in cornwall because they they cant be arrsed to get out and work!!!!

PandaLOVE said:
Biscuits_AB said:
F*ck the fishermen. I say we support the rich people!!!
Surely the fisherman are among the rich people. Did they complain when selling their houses to outsiders for mega inflated prices when the market was buoyant?
Nope and Yep - if they were anything like the Dales folk I live amongst.

The whole story and the facebook campaign is about leveraging reverse snobbery to gain a result. I asked before: "Why should the fishermen's interests trump those of investors?" It is a pertinent question and it goes to the heart of the issue.

The fishermen are trying to make themselves look like the underdogs. Are they really? I note the local councillor who spoke out in support of the application has a milk run and has seen her customer base dwindle as investors buy homes in the picturesque area. Surely then she cannot be a disinterested party to the proceedings; she has an issue with these 'outsiders' (not her words, but mine) and now she is lending support in opposition to them.

Cornwell's attitude to the rest of England seems to be,
"Grockles, loathe them or ignore them, you can't like them (But you can rip them off)"
On a serious note, maybe if the agricultural industry had not progressed and got rid of excess workers there would be full employment and all the cottages would be full of rosy cheeked bucolic farm hands. I think not.

Of course then we would be at the same level of production as many other EU countries, and if we had the same committment from the Scots who run GB we'd get the same handouts as the Olive trade and Tobacco industry. Of course that would mean our politicos fighting our corner, like Mandelson, we're worse off than asix year old Werthers rep in an old folk's home, win or lose we're fcuk'ed.

EdwardCoke said:
I asked before: "Why should the fishermen's interests trump those of investors?"
Because they live there - all the time - and make their livelihood in and from the locality. It's about those good old Conservative values of community.

I'm prepared to bet the vast majority of these second-home-ers vote Tory, which would show a fair degree of hypocrisy IMO.

Ah - the longer one lives in a particular area, the more legal rights one accumulates? Can't say I agree with that.

It is important to note that these fishermen are not being prevented from doing their jobs. They simply want to have an easier time of doing it, at the expense of other people. It would be easier on binmen to have the landfill/recycling plant nearby so they can stay in bed a little longer and get home quicker. I would be very upset if the council decided to build the landfill in front of my house.

On the flip side, these people who paid dearly for these homes whether as investors or as holiday homes, want to protect the value of their assets, at the expense of other people. Both of them have valid arguments.

How can one side claim any moral high ground here?

As I said, this whole saga is nothing more than reverse snobbery - he has more than me therefore he must be an arrsehole.

B

Biscuits_AB

vampireuk said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Why not. It would have sank f*cking years ago without the influx of the new money.
What influx? They visit at the weekend and then * off again. Yes, they must be raking it in you daft cnut.
Not as daft as the locals obviously. They need to get some jobs.

B

Biscuits_AB

theloggie said:
Biscuits_AB said:
theloggie said:
Because they are rich they have forced a judicial review which will really screw the fishermen as they can't compete on financial grounds in the courts.
I doubt that you have a shred of evidence with which to support this?
Actually Biscuits I can:

"The judicial review should come to a decision in the next couple of months. "

At the very bottom of the article (not comments) at the following link:

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...in_fight_for_jetty___TV_will_show_both_sides/

You aren't one of the rich ones are you???

And with over £1 million of fish a year I'm fairly sure this community can support itself.
Nonsense. You said that they used their wealth to force a judicial review. Utter cobblers. You haven't proven sh*t.

Actually I'm not one of the rich, but if I was I'd buy a gaff down there and taunt the locals. F*cking fishermen. Get a proper job or 'ship' out. Like the other poster said, they weren't the slightest concerned when they sold their grossly overpriced hovels to those 'big city folks'.

The West Country. Full of backward c*nts who aren't far enough west as far as I'm concerned. Their worse than Geordies.

Have we learnt nothing else from the recent fiscal fiasco that we need an agricultural and industry work base?

Fine, these areas survive on the influx of city types a few times a year, what happens if the city types have to tighten their belts?

We should be giving priorty to the fishermen and the farmers, those who make stuff. Service industries are reliant on too much. All in proportion and everything will run.

To paraphrase a french hoity toity from yonks ago....

Let them eat Pilchards!!! (that piece of advice might have delayed the revolution - mebbe no).

Naw its Burns Day the day - better off wi Haggis, Neeps n Tatties!!! :D

Ma laddie loves surfin doon there - I'm too auld fur that but quite happy surfin fi the hoose.

Sparky2339 said:
To paraphrase a french hoity toity from yonks ago....

Let them eat Pilchards!!! (that piece of advice might have delayed the revolution - mebbe no).

Naw its Burns Day the day - better off wi Haggis, Neeps n Tatties!!! :D

Ma laddie loves surfin doon there - I'm too auld fur that but quite happy surfin fi the hoose.
No one knows if this was actually said, and if so the "cake" bit is a mis translation of bread type of France. But not a cake as we would know it.

Bit like the "ich bin Berliner" hoo hah.