Talioban sharpshooters - A Firsthand Look at Firefights

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by winnfield, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/a-firsthand-look-at-firefights-in-marja/?src=mv

In short, there is a lot of AK automatic fire but the damage is being done .303s

"Curiously, there are very few recent reports or images of SVD rifles in Afghanistan. They are not absent from the war. But they seem not to be widely used. This is in some ways surprising, considering the expansive distribution in Afghanistan of the standard arms of the former Eastern bloc .... "

2. Very interesting article, thanks for posting.

Iam very surprised that they is much WW2 ammo left.

3. There may be very little of the stuff round here, but 303 and other calibres have been made in India, Pakistan and elsewhere in large quantities long after we stopped using it.

4. Still a very effective rifle. I'm planning to shoot the ACMT course of fire with one out of interest to see how the results compare with the IW. I don't know what to expect but I'm sure it will be interesting at any rate.

5. 3:12 in, Sgt Rogers gives it "Heads up, keep your heads down".

Armies! The same the world over - 'get on the wagon, get off the wagon', 'greatcoats on, greatcoats off'. Make yer mind up ffs?

;)

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Darra amongst others is making this ammo and the rifles to fire it on dirt floor mud walled workshops without electricity. A delivery over the border and bobs your mums sisters brothers assasin!

7. Was not, the Lee Enfield the weapon of choice in Afghanistan prior to the Soviet invasion of 1979?
    I seem to recall, that .303 ammunition was even used as a "currency" in the first part of the 20th Century?

As Ugly stated, I think there was also a roaring trade in knock off L-E's in the North West Frontier area, over many years, too. While I take issue with the C.I.A being the originator of the weapon in the area, there can be little doubt that the Longbranch No.4 was so sourced.

8. ammo is still currency in many parts of the globe.

9. Anyone notice the bloke cutting round with his trouser leg ripped from thigh to ankle?

What a time and place for that to happen.

10. Hmm,

I think I'll take my Ross on the next tour!

11. About 11-12 years ago I fired the old APWT(CI) with a Mk4, apart from clip loading in 3R there were no problems at all, a comfortable passing score.

12. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

They have always been there from North Africa through to Afghanistan, good long range marksmen who can create havoc. Luckily there are not a lot of them but it was the main reason the USSR had to provide BMPs with a Dragunov - the AK just would not put aimed fire down at the distance the opposition was.

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In the article he mentions that some 'grunts' prefer M14s to M16s as they were more relevant to the AFG theatre. I know that in Vietnam some guys had a choice but I was surprised to hear that they have a choice now. Especially as the cousins seem to be very **** about uniformity.

14. The captured afghan weapons I have seen have all been poorly looked after. I tried a pistol with some afghan 9mm and it was stoppage after stoppage. I would be extremely interested to see them capture one of these guys with his weapon and ammo and see what state they are in and then fire a group down the range. I concur with the author and doubt these guys could hit a man at 200m consistently. The effect of a steady thud of .303 in roughly the right area would certainly make me less than happy though...

15. That in itself is a result. You saw how well it worked there!