Taliban Tightens Grip Near Northern Pakistan Border

#1
Taliban Tightens Grip Near Northern Pakistan Border
Friday 25 July 2008

by: Jackie Northam, NPR News

In Pakistan, Taliban militants have tightened their grip on three sides of Peshawar, a strategic city of 3 million people near the frontier with Afghanistan.

The fourth and remaining side includes a major highway leading to Pakistan's capital city of Islamabad, just a 90-minute drive away.

Many people say the chaotic streets of Peshawar have become unsafe - there are regular reports of Taliban militants in pickup trucks roaming the streets at night and entering mosques and universities during the day.

Women are being told to cover up, and men are warned not to shave. Merchants selling movies and music CDs are also being threatened by Islamist militants.
More on the link
http://www.truthout.org/article/taliban-tightens-grip-near-pakistan-border
 
#3
#4
Domovoy said:
Nice. The last thing the world needs is for this war to spread directly into Pakistan!
Being actually waiting for this to happen,without a firm grip in this area, by Pakistan. Its been just a matter of time.
 
#5
And if NATO would have to do something about Taliban-Pakistan (very likely under the circumstances) UK would have to face an internal problem from its large and proactive Pakistani community...
 
#6
Domovoy said:
Nice. The last thing the world needs is for this war to spread directly into Pakistan!
Realy :roll:

ISI have been at the root of a lot of problems, while i never use wiki as a single source its not bad as a research starting point...do a little reading Domovoy might open your eyes to the big bad world :roll:
 
#7
halo_jones said:
Domovoy said:
Nice. The last thing the world needs is for this war to spread directly into Pakistan!
Realy :roll:

ISI have been at the root of a lot of problems, while i never use wiki as a single source its not bad as a research starting point...do a little reading Domovoy might open your eyes to the big bad world :roll:
Why would I need Wiki if I can read your posts?
 
#9
halo_jones said:
This even if it is from 'Sky'

'Alistair Bunkall, Sky News reporter
The Pakistani Foreign Minister has told Sky News that British and American troops would not be welcome in Pakistan.'
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Pa...ts+Allied+Security+Help+On+Afghanistan+Border


Not good which ever way you look at it...may we all live in interesting times anyone?
Might not be UK or USA troops Pakistan has to worry about, i cannot see India standing by, if the Taliban start spreading through Pakistan.
 
#10
Ok, Peshawar is a problem, and a proper one for more than one reason. It's strategically vital, sitting on top of the Khyber Pass, and is the gateway to Pakistan and the capital of NWF province. It has also been the gathering point for the more bloodthirsty, since 18longtime. Lots of refugees , all easily to assimilate into the cause. If you lose Peshawar to the radicals , you can say goodnight to Northwest and Western Pakistan.

But hasn't this been going on for some time, and hasn't the area already been sorted once before?
 
#11
Musharraf is very unpopular for many different reasons which makes his support for US/UK even more of a red rag to fast radicalising Pakistani society; add to it Afghani in all but name Peshawar and Taliban-Pakistan is a very likely scenario. In this situation US/UK would do well to distance themselves from Musharraf and Pakistan to cool off the emotions inside the country, unfortunately its almost impossible with Peshawar playing its part in the war in Afghanistan. Realistically we can face another Indian/Pakistan conflict with serious consequences since both are nuclear powers now; with US/UK behind the scenes. Speak now of "war on terror"...
 
#12
It maybe of course that if the Taliban get to control Peshawar, with I understand, about 3 million inhabitants they will have a lot on their plate and it may prove to be counter productive. Locals may rise up against the extremism of the Taliban giving them an internal security problem! It has been muted that the Taliban are on the verge of taking over the whole of the NWPA and they would then become a state within a state. If indeed Pakistan ever did control this area. This may of course lesson the difficulties of Nato striking back in this area should it wish to do so. Whatever it seems to have the potential of turning into a real dogs dinner.
 
#13
Forget Iran and N. Korea, a nuclear armed Taliban just doesn't bear thinking about.

I seriously hope the UN (ha!) or NATO work with Pakistan and get a grip on this soon before it's too late, or we really will be in the ratshite.
 
#14
PartTimePongo said:
sitting on top of the Khyber Pass
Must... resist... joke... must... resist... joke...

PartTimePongo said:
Ok, Peshawar is a problem, and a proper one for more than one reason. It's strategically vital, sitting on top of the Khyber Pass, and is the gateway to Pakistan and the capital of NWF province. It has also been the gathering point for the more bloodthirsty, since 18longtime. Lots of refugees , all easily to assimilate into the cause. If you lose Peshawar to the radicals , you can say goodnight to Northwest and Western Pakistan.

But hasn't this been going on for some time, and hasn't the area already been sorted once before?
Yes, we called it the Durand Line. A place that unstable needs a firm mind and unflapable character. Somebody like Roos-Keppel. But, of course, we're not allowed to say anything good about the Empire these days, are we?
 
#15
DPM_Sheep said:
I seriously hope the UN (ha!) or NATO work with Pakistan and get a grip on this soon before it's too late, or we really will be in the ratshite.
UN -- yes, but not NATO, even though both organisations are essentially in US pocket... Seeing NATO working with Pakistan even closer that it does now have a potential to worsen the whole situation.
 
#16
ProfessorBob said:
PartTimePongo said:
sitting on top of the Khyber Pass
Must... resist... joke... must... resist... joke...

PartTimePongo said:
Ok, Peshawar is a problem, and a proper one for more than one reason. It's strategically vital, sitting on top of the Khyber Pass, and is the gateway to Pakistan and the capital of NWF province. It has also been the gathering point for the more bloodthirsty, since 18longtime. Lots of refugees , all easily to assimilate into the cause. If you lose Peshawar to the radicals , you can say goodnight to Northwest and Western Pakistan.

But hasn't this been going on for some time, and hasn't the area already been sorted once before?
Yes, we called it the Durand Line. A place that unstable needs a firm mind and unflapable character. Somebody like Roos-Keppel. But, of course, we're not allowed to say anything good about the Empire these days, are we?
Afghanistan doesn't even recognise the Durand line. The west is being appallingly idealistic when it comes to the region and is not paying heed to the strategic needs and strengths of Pakistan. Look at the map it is Pakistan that provides an access point not only to the gulf but also to central Asia. Instead the west is supporting an anti-pak government in Kabul, allowing India to encroach. No wonder there are factions in Pakistan who are supporting anti-government/Taliban forces in Afghanistan. I would also say that we need an Olaf Caroe rather than a George Roos-Keppel, some one who understands the complex strategic needs of the west. If we continue on our path then Pakistan will be firmly in the China camp.

 
#17
Ah Thank Buddha or Phoney Tony that ALL British supplies cum by air direct to Halfganistan, for NO body would be daft enough to have his supply lines in enemy territory.
john
 
#18
Im not sure that China, would want to play ball with Pakistan, unless the Taliban and Muslim extremists were routed. Though the route to the Arabian sea, would be attractive to China, must admit. Still think the likely blow will fall from India, rather than anyone else.
 
#19
I thought Pakistan WAS in the China camp.

China provides Pakistan with lots of new tanks and jets, Pakistan provides China with a major threat to the immediate neighbour of China with a nuclear arsenal and a large army.

India has to keep lots of men and missiles pointed at Pakistan - diminished threat to China.
 
#20
Yes, the whole China-India-Pakistan-US nexus is rather complex.

AIUI:

USA wants to be allies with India, but circumstances force it to ally with Pakistan
India wants to ally with US, but doesn't like fact US supports Pakistan
China doesn't like India, so supports Pakistan, even though Pakistan is a US ally and China doesn't like the US either.
Pakistan doesn't like India, wants to ally with the US but knows in the long run the US would prefer India and so allies with China against common enemy India.

And that's without mentioning the whole Pakistan/Saudi/Iran equasion.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheWarden Aviation 6
WEATHERMAN1956 Multinational HQ 6
Letterwritingman Current Affairs, News and Analysis 59

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top