Taliban Seizes Control of Pakistani Villages

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jun 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Taliban Seizes Control of Pakistani Villages

By Candace Rondeaux and Javed Hamdard
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Monday, June 16, 2008; 5:12 PM

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan, June 16 -- Hundreds of Taliban fighters took control of seven villages in southern Afghanistan Monday in what appeared to be a major offensive near the country's second-largest city, according to Afghan officials.

An estimated 500 Taliban fighters swept into several villages in the Arghandab district, about 15 miles northwest of Kandahar, officials said. Agha Lalai Wali, an official with the government-sponsored Peace and Reconciliation Commission in Kandahar, said the fighters surged into the area Sunday evening, setting up several checkpoints in the district. Wali said local residents had reported seeing dozens of fighters believed to be of Pakistani and Arab origin traveling in the area in pickup trucks shortly before the incursion.
    More on the link and the Afghan thread
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/16/AR2008061601512.html?nav=rss_world/asia

2. This could be very interesting. Watch out for more

3. Hummmm while one eye and shrub gob off about Iran still nothing is done about our 'resounding partner' :roll: in The War against Terror!!! Pakistan? :roll: or am i just being cynical again

4. Not at all Halo, I remember an article I read a while back in which a former Taliban leader alledged that the pakistan army even took the taliban for a day at the ranges in trucks, it was backed up by CIA who have stopped working with pakistan intelligence because of rogue elements leaking information to the Taliban.

Interesting reading actually, I'll see if I can find it.

5. Well I blames Good Old King George II.
    He had the Taliban on the run and almost done for and off he goes invading Iraq for whatever reason.
    Now he's on the point of giving up the throne and, They're back in style starting to play their old game agin.
    Ta Georgie Boy ya can now go play with ya lap dog Blur.
    john

6. I'm confused. Why does the title say "Pakistani Villages" when the story's about Afghan villages?

Besides, if we couldn't stop the IRA setting up roadblocks in NI, how can we hope to prevent it in Afghanistan?

7. When you consider that the ISI set up the Taliban and that it has been keen to support Islamist groups in Kashmir , this should not really come as a surprise.
    ISI are an organization who seem to have an agenda of there own who support certain Islamist elements in the higher political echelons of Pakistani society.

Karzai's statement provoked a strong response from Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, who called Karzai's remarks "regrettable" and lodged a formal complaint with the Afghan Embassy in Islamabad on Monday.

"In my view, the only way to win the war against terrorism and extremism is by showing full respect to territorial sovereignty and noninterference in each other's internal affairs," Qureshi said
    Pity that does not include stopping groups hopping over the border to launch attacks. 8O :x

8. It's going to be nasty fighting trying to dislodge them: mile upon mile of orchards, riven by irrigation ditches and Muj-era tunnels.

9. There seems to have been a misprint here. The website has now changed it to "afghan" villages

10. Well they are American, can't expect them to get the country they're at war with right.

At least they got the stan part correct.