Taliban Say They Will Attack Restaurants in Kabul

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7228585,00.html

Taliban Say They Will Attack Restaurants

Tuesday January 15, 2008 11:16 PM

Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - The Taliban said Tuesday that its suicide bombers would attack restaurants where Westerners eat in Kabul, an ominous new threat that forced American and European workers to restrict outings in the Afghan capital.

The country's intelligence chief linked Monday's deadly attack on the Serena Hotel - a well-guarded, high-profile property in Kabul frequented by Westerners - to a Pakistani militant. Afghan officials arrested four people, and said they included one of the three attackers, who was disguised in a police uniform for the assault.
    More on the link
  2. That'll put the shits up the NGOs and really disrupt their shopping for carpets. Oh, and their alleged reconstruction of the country.
  3. Look on the bright side, it'll make for some interesting episodes of Hells' Kitchen.
  4. Can they start with McDonalds and Burger King.
  5. Too true
  6. You been there CJ?

Last time I was in Kabul there were 14 attempted kidnappings of westerners (all of the UN/NGO ilk)

Yet they still insisted in "Walking out" and displaying "Normal routines and behaviour"

They will never learn, they believe their high moral stand point and "Understanding" of local cultures will protect them

Interestingly a lot of them are birds.......................................................

Cloud fecking cuckoo land.

The only loosers will be the scoff shop owners
  7. They could just ask that arrogant Gwarr Jock slop jockey off the telly to have a look. Gordon (I'm cool because I tell people to fu'ck off) Ramsey.
    If he doesn't close them down himself the sight of a Gwarr in the kitchen will drive trade away.

8. I cant imagine Kabul is that high on the list on places to take a date out for a romantic dinner..
  9. That's my whole point. I haven't heard about NGOs actually doing much (with the exception of those in Bamyan) besides sight seeing and getting kidnapped (requiring them to be saved by NATO).

Did you see anything productive coming out of them? I do not mean that as a snide remark, it's a serious question.
  10. What do you expect to "see" from them?

After all its easy to knock those who are there for the long hall. Most of the NGO stuff is by definition not high profile news worthy stuff, but lower profile, longer term boring stuff that does not attract a headline.

Do you want the NGOs to leave and let NATO do everything?

Its always easy to knock, especially when you have no real idea of what the various NGOs need to do, would like to do, are capable of doing, are allowed to do.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, dining out in fancy Kabul restaurants if off the menu then. Bang goes my next holiday.
  12. I hope that the families/tribes ofthe restaurant owners stand up to the Taliban, hopefully using the local police/ ANA to 'shop' them. The population needs to develop a vibrant economy so that there can be real progress. I think for many in the cities the days of the Taliban being seen as the saviours are long gone.

NGOs may not be perfect but are very necessary, and at least by eating and using other amenities locally, they are contributing to the local economy. As with most unstable nations there is a need to create a strong middle class in order to help bolster stability.
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I fear it is those same middle class who will be first against the wall when we bug out. They will be seen as no better than collaborators with the invaders (as history has shown time and time again), and at some point, we WILL bug out, declaring mission accomplished.
  14. inf/MP I hope thats aimed at Chief joseph

My issue is with their (NGOs)sometimes incredibly naive approach to personal security and their faith in their "Punter population"

No doubt they have a positive effect in what they do

Chief is just doing what he always does, concuring/ agreeing/too trueing piggy backing off other posters, without even a fig leaf to cover his startling lack of first hand knowledge or personal experience

When he gets pinged he rolls out some tired old cliche/party line that he believes will placate his naysayers

No doubt others will rally to his cause and call me a big meany.

Feck it its the internet, I must have some thing more productive to expen my energy on LOL
  15. I agree that the middle classes often get it when everything destabilises. I hope (albeit somewhat in vain) that a strong economy and more importantly universal education ( including adult education) will go some way to avoiding such scapegoating and being lured into extremism. The only source of education can not be Wahhabi run madrassas.

I would also legalise elms of the opium trade to meet medical use (but that is a debate on another thread) in order to avoid drug money funding criminality and the Taliban.