Taliban running short of ammunition?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gloworm, Feb 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Kin loggies....

2. I can imagine the afghan 30th corp of loggies with their mules sitting and saying to a bewildered fighter "sorry we can`t advance to you we are waiting for our wives to brew up you see."
    Afghan fighter says "well where are they??".
    "still fighting in Pakistan - awfully sorry old chap." says afghan loggie.

3. It occurred to me that, ironically, one way of defusing most third world conflicts would be for the UN and various western governments to repeal most of the repressive firearms laws they've imposed on their own citizens. If that were to happen, rich western gun owners would soon drain the world market of all of that surplus ex-WP ammo that is fuelling these conflicts - the arms markets will simply send the ammo to the best-paying customers.

Imagine if USA alone, for example, slackens import restrictions for full-auto rifles and MGs and controls over their ownership (which are of course legal in some states anyway). Probably within a year or two the world's entire stocks & production of 7.62x39 and x54R would be being blasted off on ranges in middle America, and not in third world conflicts.....

4. Probably result in the same number of US casualties tho !

...sorry Bubba, Didn't see you thar boy....what with that orange jacket over the real-tree shirt 'an all....

5. no it will be sitting in bunkers with bubba going my precious my precious I won't let the UN have you :twisted:

6. TALIBAN running short of ammo - oh forget it.

7. It will be the driving hours regulations starting to bite. Elf'n'safety donch ya know?

8. Either that or they have got the utterly useless BAe Systems doing direct delivey!

9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

They have been battering away on full auto for a good 30 years at the Russians and us

Plus the wedding parties and the tendancy to let a mag go if you win a quid on the lotto they must be geting a bit short by now

10. They couldn't have supplied the fifteen copies of the final Health and Safety Plan for the long term ground water monitoring at the Tailban Army Ammunitions Plant.

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Actually it's NATO officials who say so, not that that's a guarantee of veracity either. Read your own link.

12. Copy that, meant it was on the Beeb therefore must be cushty... :)

13. 'Either that or they have got the utterly useless BAe Systems doing direct delivery!'

Come on now, I've worked with BAe Systems, you are rating them too highly - they were NEVER that good!

14. To be unfashionably fair to BAe, a lot of supply problems from BAe used to relate more to the MOD's way of doing business than inefficiency on BAe's part.
    Admittedly quite a long time ago but I once had a very interesting convesation with a Royal Ordnance factory manager over the supply of his product.
    He was mighty tired of the MOD refusing to order in a timely fashion and instead exploiting contractual obligations to force Royal Ordnance to divert orders being produced for other buyers to the MOD, the nett result was that nobody got their deliveries on time or as specified.