Taliban Leader Killed by US Drone

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
This strikes me as rather significant:

Mullah Mansoor frequently used Karachi airport to travel to other countries - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

"Muallah Mansoor first landed in Karachi via a private airline flight on the 12th of March 2006 from Dubai and approximately five months later caught a flight with the same airline to Dubai on the 23 August 2006 only to return on the 4th of October the same year, according to his travel history.

He was among the prominent commanders of the group when he was travelling to the other countries and his flights have been reported to be in September of 2007, 3rd of October 2007, 11th January 2008, 23rd November 2008, 5th December 2008, 2nd January 2010, 24th January 2010.

His last travelled has been reported to take place in 2012 when he caught a flight to Dubai on the 26th of January."​

TB have moved very, very quickly:
"In a statement, the Taliban acknowledged Mansour's death for the first time and named his successor as Mawlawi Haibatullah Akhundzada.'
Afghan Taliban announce successor to Mullah Mansour - BBC News

A case of meet the new boss; same as the old boss. No sign of factional disputes/infighting here. The U.S and Afghans would have hoped for months of disputes and disharmony. What they've got is the proverbial two fingers. Should be worrying for the U.S and Afghans.

"In a statement, the Taliban acknowledged Mansour's death for the first time and named his successor as Mawlawi Haibatullah Akhundzada.'

No sign of factional disputes/infighting here. Should be worrying for the U.S and Afghans.
Nobody knows if there is any infighting yet, he's just been announced. I'd be amazed if there wasn't something for someone to get worked up about. There is a lot of pressure on the Taliban at the moment from IS in Afghanistan so there will be plenty of treachery afoot.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nobody knows if there is any infighting yet, he's just been announced. I'd be amazed if there wasn't something for someone to get worked up about. There is a lot of pressure on the Taliban at the moment from IS in Afghanistan so there will be plenty of treachery afoot.
It took a long time to announce the last one though. This guy took about 48hrs. It may well be that the threat of ISKP is helping the Taliban to focus on their real priorities.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs

A case of meet the new boss; same as the old boss. No sign of factional disputes/infighting here. The U.S and Afghans would have hoped for months of disputes and disharmony. What they've got is the proverbial two fingers. Should be worrying for the U.S and Afghans.
And this info from khaama press:

"The statement further added that Sirajuddin Haqqani and Mullah Omar’s son Mulah Yaqoob have been appointed as deputy supreme leader of the group."
Taliban confirms leader’s death, announce Haibatullah as new chief - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency
I read last night that they had asked Mullah Omar’s son Mulah Yaqoob to take the top job but he declined on the grounds that he was too young / inexperienced for the position. I can't find the report now, but there was another name pitched who'd also declined the role.

It took a long time to announce the last one though. This guy took about 48hrs. It may well be that the threat of ISKP is helping the Taliban to focus on their real priorities.
I think they recognise the mistake they made in hiding Mullah Omar's death. They're never going to live that one down in the jihad world. It probably led to the rise of IS in Afghanistan. ISKP are brazenly posting pictures of themselves executing Taliban prisoners.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
This strikes me as rather significant:

Mullah Mansoor frequently used Karachi airport to travel to other countries - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

"Muallah Mansoor first landed in Karachi via a private airline flight on the 12th of March 2006 from Dubai and approximately five months later caught a flight with the same airline to Dubai on the 23 August 2006 only to return on the 4th of October the same year, according to his travel history.

He was among the prominent commanders of the group when he was travelling to the other countries and his flights have been reported to be in September of 2007, 3rd of October 2007, 11th January 2008, 23rd November 2008, 5th December 2008, 2nd January 2010, 24th January 2010.

His last travelled has been reported to take place in 2012 when he caught a flight to Dubai on the 26th of January."​
Anyone seen this doing the rounds? Reputedly it's Mansour's Pakistani passport...

Islamabad Confirms Mansour Visited Iran With Pakistani Passport

I think they recognise the mistake they made in hiding Mullah Omar's death. They're never going to live that one down in the jihad world. It probably led to the rise of IS in Afghanistan. ISKP are brazenly posting pictures of themselves executing Taliban prisoners.
Pure speculation on my part - was it hiding the news of Mullah Omar's death that had kept Daesh at bay? I don't know the timings of Daesh's activities but Mullah Omar struck me as a hugely popular, respected and unifying figure?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Anyone seen this doing the rounds? Reputedly it's Mansour's Pakistani passport...

Pure speculation on my part - was it hiding the news of Mullah Omar's death that had kept Daesh at bay? I don't know the timings of Daesh's activities but Mullah Omar struck me as a hugely popular, respected and unifying figure?
It might be. It's a passport and ID card showing no signs of damage that were somehow thrown clear of the blast and found by the Pakistani authorities.

How strange the car he was in was ripped up like a coke can but his passport made it out perfectly in tact.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Triffic.

“No, no we will not come to any type of peace talks,” the man, identified as Akhundzada, said in an audio recording provided by the Taliban’s militant group on Wednesday.

“Taliban will never bow their heads and will not agree to peace talks,” said the new Taliban leader, adding, “People thought we will lay down our arms after Mullah Mansour’s death, but we will continue fighting till the end.”
PressTV-New Taliban leader snubs peace talks

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Triffic.

“No, no we will not come to any type of peace talks,” the man, identified as Akhundzada, said in an audio recording provided by the Taliban’s militant group on Wednesday.

“Taliban will never bow their heads and will not agree to peace talks,” said the new Taliban leader, adding, “People thought we will lay down our arms after Mullah Mansour’s death, but we will continue fighting till the end.”
PressTV-New Taliban leader snubs peace talks
Such a shame. Those talks were just going so well until now...

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Such a shame. Those talks were just going so well until now...
Fair point, but with the outcome of the assassination being as it is, i can see no benefit to it.

It's royally annoyed the Pakistanis (who i'd suggest are being 'pushed' closer to the Taliban, if that were possible, by India cosying up to the Kabul administration), not to mention the Taliban and if anything i'd speculate it has only empowered the Daesh camp more.

Gen. Sharif conveys serious concern over drone strike that killed Mullah Mansoor - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
That went well then...

Taliban Kills Around 57 Afghan Forces

"The Taliban has stepped up attacks since it appointed Mullah Hibatullah Akhundzada as its new chief. His predecessor, Mullah Mansoor, was killed in a U.S. drone attack in neighboring Pakistan on May 21.

Critics expect fighting and bloodshed to escalate in Afghanistan this summer under Hibatullah, widely known as a conservative Islamist cleric, because he would want to consolidate power through battlefield gains to try to dismiss the impression the killing of his predecessor has weakened the Taliban.

In a significant development on Monday, a key council of pro-Taliban clerics pledged allegiance to Hibatullah."​

"Senior Afghan commanders say fighting is currently raging on the outskirts of Lashkargah. But they have vowed to push back the Taliban"​

Last edited: