Taliban Leader Killed by US Drone

The problem with places like that is that if you have 2 goats and a small boy you get to call yourself 'commander'!

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
And just as slotting Bin Laden ended international terrorism, i guess this will make all the disparate factions in Pakistan and Afghanistan down tools and head home...

Old man Omar lived longer as a dead man than Mansour did as Taliban leader. My money is on a betrayal.

Funnily enough, IS broadcast a few images last week from Afghanistan of the execution of Taliban fighters.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And just as slotting Bin Laden ended international terrorism, i guess this will make all the disparate factions in Pakistan and Afghanistan down tools and head home...
I strongly considered a SAB for that post.

Nobody is suggesting that this one strike will end the Taliban insurgency. Strikes like these can be extremely disruptive, however.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Old man Omar lived longer as a dead man than Mansour did as Taliban leader. My money is on a betrayal.

Funnily enough, IS broadcast a few images last week from Afghanistan of the execution of Taliban fighters.
If it is betrayal, then someone has gone balls out:

These reports from Marjah:
Taliban leader supervising suicide attacks killed in Helmand airstrike - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency
Afghan commandos release 23 hostages from Taliban-run prison in Helmand - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

Traitor, and / or a divide and conquer strategy?
Abdullah says close to conclude peace deal with Hekmatyar - Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency

"It said the strike had "probably" killed Mansour and an armed male combatant travelling with him."
So he was unarmed and not actually attacking anyone?
Can't put a drone in jail though.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"It said the strike had "probably" killed Mansour and an armed male combatant travelling with him."
So he was unarmed and not actually attacking anyone?
Can't put a drone in jail though.
1. You know drones have pilots, right? They aren't autonomous robots.

2. It doesn't say he was unarmed.

3. He doesn't have to be attacking someone to be legally killed.

The Hekmatyar deal means nothing. He became irrelevant years ago. This is a man wanting to go back to Kabul for his retirement, nothing more, nothing less.

He was THE big leader. As in, the one it took the varying Taliban factions a while to rally around after the announcement of the death of Mullah Omar. This has the potential to be very disruptive to their senior leadership.

I wonder if the next one will have better OPSEC?
Don't think any amount of Opsec will save the next one. It's a poisoned chalice now. I'm sure the US know where they all are anyway. If Haqqani takes over, he'll have one of the shortest lived promotions ever.

I actually like this form of war fighting and the thought they may spend every day thinking it may be their last, although they probably don't give a shat as it is Allan's will.

Perhaps they can replace the hellfire warhead with some disease, perhaps Christianity mixed with AIDS.

Latest Threads