Taliban hackers phone UK soldiers families

Taliban hackers phone UK soldiers' families
August 22, 2007 03:53pm

TALIBAN extremists are reportedly phoning the families of troops fighting in Afghanistan and telling them their loved ones are dead.

Afghan insurgents have been using mobile phone-hacking technology to extract phone numbers to target the families of British troops, The Sun newspaper reported today.

According to The Sun, a Taliban fanatic called the wife of an Royal Air Force officer and told her: “You’ll never see your husband alive again – we have just killed him.”

After calling the RAF, she was told that her husband was safe and well.

As a result of opposition forces using advanced technology to monitor calls made on mobile phones, British servicemen have been banned from using their phones.

“We assume these days that every conversation over mobile phones is being heard by our enemies,” a senior officer said.

“They have some pretty powerful friends and allies, who are giving them some very sophisticated help. They will use that information in any way they can to damage us, whether it is physically or mentally.”

The Ministry of Defence said families of troops in Iraq had also suffered from “nuisance calls” in the past year.

Afghan insurgents have been using mobile phone-hacking technology to extract phone numbers to target the families of British troops, The Sun newspaper reported today.
Bolocks.

British servicemen have been banned from using their phones.
:roll:

Chaps, could anyone point me in the direction of agency/person responsible for welfare phones within the Afghanistan theatre?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=476959&in_page_id=1811

It's related to story above, I am able to offer a secure alternative that would allow personal mobile phone usage but routed on alternative means to the traditional GSM network being provided.

Please PM me with any information you may have. Many thanks...

PartTimePongo said:
Bolocks.
British servicemen have been banned from using their phones.
:roll:
Not as difficult as it would seem. The dialled number is sent as a packet in clear on the telephony network. Anyone with access to the GSM network routing the call would see these numbers.

As a result of opposition forces using advanced technology to monitor calls made on mobile phones, British servicemen have been banned from using their phones.
DIN 2007DIN03-006 is hardly advanced technology.

The dialled number is sent as a packet in clear on the telephony network. Anyone with access to the GSM network routing the call would see these numbers.
Correct. It's not being pulled out of the ether. GSM hacking on the fly , is still a holy grail for hackers and phreakers.

The weak link remains the GSM exchange, and routing calls through an Afghan or Pakistani exchange is a major potential security risk.

Using Afghan Sim cards, while cheap as chips, is probably lunacy.

Then of course, thanks to Banks, Mortgage and loan companies, there is all the information held by Indian and Pakistani call centres , which is being sold off as numerous sources report.

This topic came up some time ago on Arrse Bravo, I think we were talking about one of the Ericsson? "GSM station in a box" solutions , which could be set up in no time at all, was secure and didn't use the local countries network.

Personally , for a quick and dirty secure solution, (Without taking anything away from your offer) I'd broadband it out via Skype. The new generation of mobile phones can run the software needed, and with a big enough pipe , you'll get calls out for free, less the cost of the existing BB connection. It would certainly negate the need for time restricted calls.

It's a GSM network in a box yes but certainly not at Ericsson prices. It's been deployed in several theatres already for secret squirrel types but I am now able to offer it with an interconnect to a UK Network provider using Sigtran going nowhere near any unsecure exchanges. Just as flexible as the Skype option but with the ability for the lads to use their own phones and SIM cards. The call rate could also be sorted to provide a rate acceptable to the usage. The equipment costs are negligable due to the amount of calls. Deployable with days, rather then weeks and months.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
*Edit* Sorry. Had a blond moment. Daft question.

Bravo, check PM's please?

More of the latter I would say, especially since the last DIN.

The Americans have had a ban on insecure mobile comms and cameraphones for some time.

Not one that's current I'm afraid Bravo.

When will squaddies learn!! Last time I did an OpTAG pacakage we had a brief from a man in a suit that was voted the most interesting that more than touched on this subject. However, of course that doesn't apply once you get to theatre as it's a different postcode!!

So after all the technical talk is it possible for soldiers to talk on a secure line to their NOK whilst in FOBs? I would think if it is possible it should be done for reasons of morale alone. These tours are coming around all to often and it must be a great boost to confidence to be able to speak to family and friends.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheWarden Aviation 6
WEATHERMAN1956 Multinational HQ 6
Letterwritingman Current Affairs, News and Analysis 59