Taliban congratulates Dutch on withdrawal

P

pp0470

DutchNewsNL said:
The funamentalist Islamic Taliban in Afghanistan has congratulated the Netherlands for pulling its soldiers out of the country, the Volkskrant reports on Friday.

'We would like to wish the citizens and government of the Netherlands all the best for having the courage to take this decision independently,' an official Taliban spokesman told the newspaper in a telephone conversation via an interpreter.

'We hope other countries with soldiers stationed in Afghanistan will follow the Dutch example and withdraw their troops,' spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadii said.
Quite civil really

Punting the line that it's an Afghan nationalist struggle against invaders rather than an Islamist struggle to spread the faith.

Well, nobody ever said they didn't have a competent PSYOPS cell.

P

pp0470

With about 40 months left for this mission, and approx. 20 countries in the coalition I guess that we can expect a few more 'farewell, so long, it's time to say goodby-ee' statements from the Taliban.

Then we get to watch a bloody civil war. Or any optomists here want to argue a different out come when we finally run away, opps, I mean tactically withdraw.

"…To the strains of We Gotta Get Out Of This Place by The Animals, Radio Uruzgan ceased broadcasting and the Dutch flag was lowered in a low-key ceremony shunned by politicians and senior military staff at Camp Holland in the central Afghan province.…"

From the Times

P

pp0470

"…To the strains of We Gotta Get Out Of This Place by The Animals, Radio Uruzgan ceased broadcasting and the Dutch flag was lowered in a low-key ceremony shunned by politicians and senior military staff at Camp Holland in the central Afghan province.…"

From the Times
It's true !!!! The last song on Dutch Army Radio really was 'We Gotta Get Out Of This Place' by The Animals !!!!

Does chuckling about this for days make me simple, because I think I will be.

What will Radio Taliban be playing as we depart? Gloria Gaynor, 'I will survive' maybe?

I remember the FOO Fighters' Dead on Arrival being very popular on BFBS at the the of TELIC6 (Nov 05), along with a whole raft of requests for Christmas classics :)

msr

I think they let them leave with both legs in tact, not something those left can be sure of taking home with them.

(pp touches wood for luck) (off to xhamster.com till I can get my hand off this wood)
Political manoeuvring, nothing to do with the military, but you're clever enough to know that surely?

Latest Threads