Taliban claim "undetectable bomb"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Faustic, Feb 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hmOMcJXRM0pi9dSZtu0R1wDA3ihw

Sounds to me like they are rushing to create a deterrent for us so that the latest operation doesn't happen.

Though, saying that, I bloody well hope they haven't developed one :x

Edit re battery: Apparently it works by mixing two liquids together when it is stepped on, setting off a chain of bombs around it.
  2. Not new news to be honest Low metal content pressure pads have been used in the past, plastic parts on the pressure pad, graphite contacts etc, the only major part that becomes a problem for them to hide is the battery

Its amazing what you can make when you think about it 8O
  3. It's not really all that difficult to do. I don't think we need to elaborate how but consider that minimum metal mines have been in service worldwide for decades. We used to have them ourselves - the ELSIE was such a design if you removed the metal detector collar.

Brief overview here:

4. Its just counter propaganda. IEDs are a tactical weapon and any good tactician will expect them to be deployed in appropriate places and of course they make them difficult to detect. But nothing is impossible to detect, because if it doesnt have a signature it exists in a void and it is therefore detectable as an anomaly. Nuff said.
  5. Apparently it works by mixing two liquids together when it is stepped on, setting off a chain of bombs around it.
  6. So they're using something that creates electricity when two liquids mix?

Sounds very futuristic I'm sure its possible to get these chemicals for that price, I wonder which chemical producing country is providing that then?
  7. Yes, effectively i'd assume they're making a form of battery. However, surely they could be using extremely small metal quantities as all would be needed are crude versions of an anode/cathode, which can be very small. Therefore the Taliban may think they are undetectable? I don't know; i'm not one.

But yeah, sounds more of a made up invention to be used as propoganda
  8. Or the two liquids could combine together to generate heat which would negate the need for anything to carry an electric current. If that were the case then the heat would ignite a detonator (wax paper wrapped) which would then initiate the main charge.

No metals required if the two liquids were in glass phials.

I imagine it would be quite sensitive to damp so as long as the guys are issued with a 30m hose and 200l of water each then they could spray their paths to victory. Now we know where all that fire piquet training will come in handy!
  9. If we had such a thing, would we be rushing to tell the Taliban about it?

Sounds like amateur hour propaganda to me.
  10. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

We are losing enough people as it is with 'detectable' bombs. The answer is more helicopters, but our political 'betters' think corpses are cheaper than giving their soldiers adequate equipment.