Taliban and their drills

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by speedybham, Feb 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not too sure if this is the right place for this...anyway...I was reading this thread on drill, http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=117027.html

I'm of the understanding that drill is important, not just out on the square but looking after your kit, weapon handling etc.. I can't imagine how the army would function without it.

Got me thinking, do the Taliban keep up on their drills. Are they a disciplined force? Do they look after their kit? Would imagine Taliban get a few neg discharges!

Considering all this how does it effect their capabilities?

2. Not really the place to be discussing terrorist TTPs.

3. I'd say it was exactly the place; they already know how they operate after all. We should be doing a lot more to share information than we are. At the moment the only truly network enabled force operating at a tempo to allow them to cut inside the adversary's OODA loop is ... the Taliban. We panic over security and they benefit.

4. The security argument is interesting. A course I did whilst in the Mob (JDSC) involved being lectured to by a couple of SIGINT types. When asked the question "Do the Soviets have a fixed Callsign System?" they couldn't tell us because of .........security.

So the Russkies knew, the SIGINTS knew and a group of Captains All Arms didn't! The reply went down like a lead fart and there were some stroppy feckers on that Course :twisted:

5. This is probably worth a look at re: Taliban TTP/drills. Unclass and already well in public domain, from USMC.

[​IMG]

Full powerpoint file here

Some quotes....

6. For a starter:- Read anything decent written by the Soviets, such as "The Bear went over the Mountain" which discusses Post Action Reports by the Sovets, then read something like "Afghan Guerrilla Warfare: In the Words of the Mujahideen Fighters" which does what it says.

All this claptrap about not dicussing Taliban TTP in public is a bit f**king stupid when somebody has already published the same Pam the Talban work from. The Mujahideen did anything, such as following convoys on motorbikes, dickers on high ground, wide area ambushes in Green zones, that the Taliban are doing now, Who the f**k do you think are the Taliban's senior fighters now? Is it all possible that the Tailban are possibly run by men who fought the soviets?

7. And, as mentioned in another thread, the US and Afghan book / report called "The other side of the mountain" which looks at the Mujihadeen (sp) tactics. a very interesting read!

8. Bah! Back in my day, we used the jezail, hit someone with that and they stayed down... And remember mutton grill anyone?

On a slightly more serious note, Koran, Kalashnikov & Laptop by Antonio Giustozzi is good on their ORBAT- apparently they give great tactical latitude to their section commanders, men in their early 30s, and in that sense might be comparable to WW1 & 2 Germany- No real equivalent of a platoon commander, as I recall.