Taliban acquire adapted SAMs from Pakistan

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Intecession, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A notable addition to what can only be described as a limited Taliban arsenal this year is surface-to-air missiles, notably the SAM-7, which was the first generation of Soviet man-portable SAMs.

The Taliban acquired these missiles in 2005, but they had little idea about how to use them effectively. Arab al-Qaeda members conducted extensive training programs and brought the Taliban up to speed. Nevertheless, the SAM-7s, while useful against helicopters, were no use against the fighter and bomber aircraft that were doing so much damage.

What the Taliban desperately needed were sensors for their missiles. These detect aircraft emissions designed to misdirect the missiles.

And it so happened that Pakistan had such devices, having acquired them from the Americans, though indirectly. The Pakistanis retrieved them from unexploded cruise missiles fired into Afghanistan in 1998, targeting bin Laden. They copied and adapted them to fit other missiles, including the SAMs.

Now that the Taliban and Pakistan have a deal, these missiles will be made available to the Taliban. Much like the Stingers that changed the dynamics of the Afghan resistance against the Soviets, the SAMs could help turn things the Taliban's and Pakistan's way.

Article Source

Taliban Uses SAM Missile to Shoot Down US Helicopter

4Symbols

2. The link's not "work friendly" - what's the source?

3. Utter, utter tin foil hat wearing rubbish.

4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Its a Blog. Fascinating. J Edgar Hoover is alive and well. Living under the grassy knoll it seems? Also "Islam only means peace to Muslims who blindly submit. To Christians Islam means war, persecution and death".

Bit of an agenda going on I'd say? And since a quick search turns up no reputable news feed with evidence that Pakistan is modifying SAM-7's using Cruise technology then handing them to Taliban, I'd take this one with a pinch of salt?

5. TheIronDuke

What I said. But using fewer words.

6. Beat me to it.

7. Nonsense. It has been speculated that Pakistan used information gained from the unexploded Tomahawk missiles in the design of their recently introduced BABUR cruise missile, but that has no relation to these supposed 'SAMs'.

8. I don't even know were to begin. So much bullsh1t in one post, head about to explode.

Utter, utter bilge.

Go away to boring little man.

9. TheIronDuke

In other news, Somali Muslims have taught Taliban to train boy soldiers and feed them Mazi Black.

[​IMG]

Truly terrifying.

10. I would like to draw everybody's attention to this post:

But in the case of this thread, I wouldn't fcuking bother.

11. SAM 7 and un-exploded cruise missiles? What bollox!

12. Absolute load of old bollox, the things some people make up to get their voice heard.

PIRA also acquired the SA 7, they were somewhat seen off though as they were not given any thermal batteries that are required to fire the thing.