Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tales of a Colonial Policeman

He could be 25 and it would be valid. Africa still has large scale chattel slavery going on all over.
Libya, 21st century techknowledgy, 14th century mind-set. Is the government still gas bombing its own citizens?
Amahs.jpg

On a serious note. You don't have to go as far as Africa. Its still going on here to an extent. Mainly driven by pikeys, east europeans, and some middle eastern types.

Karamoja

War Hero
Luxury my boy... My first flight to the Dark Continent in the early to mid 1950s was in an Avro York.. unpressurised cabin, sick bags and so noisy we had to use ear plugs!
I wonder if you landed at Entebbe? I can remember the Yorks taking off over the lake, the seemed to take ages to climb.

Just thought in this time of "lockdown" some members of Arrse who haven't already read this thread might like to take the opportunity to do so now, helping while away the time.
If they don't want to plough through all 800 odd posts this is a reasonable precis of the main bits ..... Tales of Colonial Policeman in Northern Rhodesia
Which is what I have just completed. Thank you very much @ex_colonial for a very entertaining, informative and thought provoking read.
(I actually read the Arrse version. Being at the end of a temperamental, cellular and slow connection, it has shortened lockdown by a couple of days!)

Just thought in this time of "lockdown" some members of Arrse who haven't already read this thread might like to take the opportunity to do so now, helping while away the time.
If they don't want to plough through all 800 odd posts this is a reasonable precis of the main bits ..... Tales of Colonial Policeman in Northern Rhodesia

Cheers for this @ex-colonial, if I haven't mentioned it before-you really are an excellent raconteur and the content gives a great insight into something I know little about.

Cheers for this @ex-colonial, if I haven't mentioned it before-you really are an excellent raconteur and the content gives a great insight into something I know little about.

Thanks very much and to "FarTooSerious" as well. As I said in the thread, a lot of people had asked me about my experiences in the Colonial Police as I would often comment/adjust/correct other posts on various incidents in British Colonial involvement with Central Africa, where the FACTS had been altered or eradicated to suit the modern "woke" ideals.
One of the classics being the Dag Hammarskjöld's plane "shooting down", which was a load of crap from people who just wanted to show that all white men in C. Africa were nasty, brutal and racist thugs only intent on exploiting the poor helpless black man there!
I tried to write down the reality of what I, a young, patriotic, working class chap from S. Wales who had been brought up to believe that the world didn't owe me a living and to work & strive to better myself, had seen.
My Grandfather, with whom my mother & I lived, was a classic example. In WW1 he and several of his brothers were working in Scotland helping to build the Rosyth Dockyard when Kitchener's call came ...
1587126280751.png

My Grandfather, his brothers and virtually the whole workforce went along to sign up with the local Regiment "The Black Watch".
As most of the workforce were key workers already working on a vital bit of infrastructure, Crane drivers, skilled technicians etc, most were told to go back to their jobs. My Grandfather, a crane driver eventually managed to join up in 1918 in the R.E. where he was employed as a crane driver in Folkstone. The only one of the brothers to go was the youngest at just over 17 and only an unskilled labourer, he went in the B.W, and was wounded by a shell burst on the Somme.
A funny dit on that. When he came to in the dressing station after being wounded with his head & shoulders covered in bandages but still wearing his kilt, The orderly spoke to him. "You awake jock?" "yes" says my uncle in a broad Lancastrian dialect, (he & his brothers were all born in Lancashire), "do you want the good news or the bad first?" said the orderly, "gimme the good news first" he said, "you've got a blighty wound" meaning he was going back home. GFB "what's the bad news?", orderly "You've lost an eye", .. GFB .. "which one?" … orderly "Your left one" at which my uncle broke out laughing, "what are you laughing at?" said the orderly, my GFB said "well it was only a glass eye anyway!". He had lost his left eye in an industrial accident years before and passed his medical by covering his left eye twice with different hands when going through reading the eye chart during his medical.
I can remember seeing the bad scarring on the left side of his face around his left eye (he had the glass eye back then!)
Another little bit of family history, during the great depression when there was no work in S. Wales where my Grandfather had been working after the war. He and his brothers actually walked to London to get work sleeping rough and sending as much cash they could earn after feeding themselves, back to their families in S. Wales.
All my mothers sisters were married to servicemen, RAF & Navy, 2 of whom had started off as apprentices at Halton & finished up Wing Commanders, and spending many of my school holidays with them in their M. Qtrs. on various stations, must have rubbed this trait of serving ones country on me!

Thanks very much and to "FarTooSerious" as well. As I said in the thread, a lot of people had asked me about my experiences in the Colonial Police as I would often comment/adjust/correct other posts on various incidents in British Colonial involvement with Central Africa, where the FACTS had been altered or eradicated to suit the modern "woke" ideals.
One of the classics being the Dag Hammarskjöld's plane "shooting down", which was a load of crap from people who just wanted to show that all white men in C. Africa were nasty, brutal and racist thugs only intent on exploiting the poor helpless black man there!
I tried to write down the reality of what I, a young, patriotic, working class chap from S. Wales who had been brought up to believe that the world didn't owe me a living and to work & strive to better myself, had seen.
My Grandfather, with whom my mother & I lived, was a classic example. In WW1 he and several of his brothers were working in Scotland helping to build the Rosyth Dockyard when Kitchener's call came ...View attachment 466368

My Grandfather, his brothers and virtually the whole workforce went along to sign up with the local Regiment "The Black Watch".
As most of the workforce were key workers already working on a vital bit of infrastructure, Crane drivers, skilled technicians etc, most were told to go back to their jobs. My Grandfather, a crane driver eventually managed to join up in 1918 in the R.E. where he was employed as a crane driver in Folkstone. The only one of the brothers to go was the youngest at just over 17 and only an unskilled labourer, he went in the B.W, and was wounded by a shell burst on the Somme.
A funny dit on that. When he came to in the dressing station after being wounded with his head & shoulders covered in bandages but still wearing his kilt, The orderly spoke to him. "You awake jock?" "yes" says my uncle in a broad Lancastrian dialect, (he & his brothers were all born in Lancashire), "do you want the good news or the bad first?" said the orderly, "gimme the good news first" he said, "you've got a blighty wound" meaning he was going back home. GFB "what's the bad news?", orderly "You've lost an eye", .. GFB .. "which one?" … orderly "Your left one" at which my uncle broke out laughing, "what are you laughing at?" said the orderly, my GFB said "well it was only a glass eye anyway!". He had lost his left eye in an industrial accident years before and passed his medical by covering his left eye twice with different hands when going through reading the eye chart during his medical.
I can remember seeing the bad scarring on the left side of his face around his left eye (he had the glass eye back then!)
Another little bit of family history, during the great depression when there was no work in S. Wales where my Grandfather had been working after the war. He and his brothers actually walked to London to get work sleeping rough and sending as much cash they could earn after feeding themselves, back to their families in S. Wales.
All my mothers sisters were married to servicemen, RAF & Navy, 2 of whom had started off as apprentices at Halton & finished up Wing Commanders, and spending many of my school holidays with them in their M. Qtrs. on various stations, must have rubbed this trait of serving ones country on me!

Some really great stories here. I am wondering what people today would make of the idea of immigrants coming to England in order to work and send money back to feed their families...in Wales.

Last edited:
Some really great stories here. I am wondering what people today would make of the idea of immigrants coming to England in order to work and send money back to feed their families...in Wales.
Er....You do realise the Taffs were the original Celtic inhabitants of Britain until my Germanic Hun Anglo-Saxon ancesters came over as hired security on their longboats from Northern Germany/Southern Denmark around 440 AD to keep the sweatys out. "Bloody Huns, far too many of them, they are taking over the place" said the Taffs. And we did, after shagging his daughters as well.

Wales is just a reservation for dispossed Welshmen. Just to show that there is no hard feeling, and to keep them gainfully occupied, so that they wouldn't pull off another Boudica/Iceni stunt like they did with the Romans, we populated it with lots of sheep and goats.

They are still not getting England back though.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And you do know that Wales/Welsh derived from the Anglo Saxon for foreigner.
That's the modern pc version for schools.

The original translation just says "cunts."

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Just a little suggestion for a read. I came across this by accident & seeing the cover, bought it. Not a bad read but he only did a couple of years in the NRP, joining as a cadet over a year after me, (he's 3 years younger than me) going on to the Hong Kong police, where unknown to me there were a lot of problems in the " New Territories" where some villages were split by the border with China and the PLA were literally on the doorstep. He then went on to become a Barrister working in HK.
He doesn't have a lot to say about Africa & our relationship with our African Police which I found interesting.
His views on the current UK politically correct mess tie in with most on here!
There are a few errors I have found, referring to a "Pace-stick" as a Pay stick is one referring to the left bank of the Nile as East while going North on it, another, but all in all, interesting!

Just a little suggestion for a read. I came across this by accident & seeing the cover, bought it. Not a bad read but he only did a couple of years in the NRP, joining as a cadet over a year after me, (he's 3 years younger than me) going on to the Hong Kong police, where unknown to me there were a lot of problems in the " New Territories" where some villages were split by the border with China and the PLA were literally on the doorstep. He then went on to become a Barrister working in HK.
He doesn't have a lot to say about Africa & our relationship with our African Police which I found interesting.
His views on the current UK politically correct mess tie in with most on here!
There are a few errors I have found, referring to a "Pace-stick" as a Pay stick is one referring to the left bank of the Nile as East while going North on it, another, but all in all, interesting!

Thanks for this recommendation. I love these types of books, like your own experiences, about a time that will never be repeated. Living history. At least it is at a sensible price and I don't need to take out a bank loan or second mortgage.

I love that type of book.

Working my way through a book called "A life of spearfishing, diving and polo " by Tony Buxton.

Set in the 50's onwards, he had a passion in the early days of diving and spearfishing, and being a charming sort of man, got an introduction to all sorts of wealthy people...... fascinating book so far.

Go in to Kindle e- books, sport, watersports, lowest to highest, without a search, and you should snag it for free.

Colonel Blimp

War Hero
Er....You do realise the Taffs were the original Celtic inhabitants of Britain until my Germanic Hun Anglo-Saxon ancesters came over as hired security on their longboats from Northern Germany/Southern Denmark around 440 AD to keep the sweatys out. "Bloody Huns, far too many of them, they are taking over the place" said the Taffs. And we did, after shagging his daughters as well.

Wales is just a reservation for dispossed Welshmen. Just to show that there is no hard feeling, and to keep them gainfully occupied, so that they wouldn't pull off another Boudica/Iceni stunt like they did with the Romans, we populated it with lots of sheep and goats.

They are still not getting England back though.
Actually, there is a lot of evidence that Britain was not entirely Celtic and that there was a large part of the country that was Germanic. There is no evidence of a large-scale Germanic invasion after the Romans left, as happened with the Vandals, Langobards and Goths. The DNA evidence suggests there was a "topping off" of a ruling class, soldiers to you and me, who came in and filled the leadership gap when the Romans left. The variety of Germanic dialects in Britain suggests that they had been there for a long time.

Actually, there is a lot of evidence that Britain was not entirely Celtic and that there was a large part of the country that was Germanic. There is no evidence of a large-scale Germanic invasion after the Romans left, as happened with the Vandals, Langobards and Goths. The DNA evidence suggests there was a "topping off" of a ruling class, soldiers to you and me, who came in and filled the leadership gap when the Romans left. The variety of Germanic dialects in Britain suggests that they had been there for a long time.
So you are saying that the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes didn't rock up in their longboats in about 440 AD from Northern Germany/Southern Denmark. That is all a myth?

Latest Threads