Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tales of a Colonial Policeman

Just thought in this time of "lockdown" some members of Arrse who haven't already read this thread might like to take the opportunity to do so now, helping while away the time.
If they don't want to plough through all 800 odd posts this is a reasonable precis of the main bits ..... Tales of Colonial Policeman in Northern Rhodesia

Just thought in this time of "lockdown" some members of Arrse who haven't already read this thread might like to take the opportunity to do so now, helping while away the time.
If they don't want to plough through all 800 odd posts this is a reasonable precis of the main bits ..... Tales of Colonial Policeman in Northern Rhodesia
The sooner-the-better, that you get that wrapped-up in a hard-back/paper-back cover . . . !! ;) .

**Spoiler**

The star of the story falls in love with a kalahari bushmen.....

An inappropriate funny! Thousands were shot including the last few who knew how to mix the paints they used for their rock paintings.
I don't think it's funny that they were shot. I think it was funny that the people who were doing it were so appallingly lacking in civilized behaviour that they had to be told not to shoot fellow humans as game. I see it as black humour. I've removed the "funny" though, as it seems to have upset you and I didn't intend that.

Were people actually shooting them as "game" though, or was there some other reason behind it and people thought they could get away with shooting them over it?

Luxury, lad. We used to fly a creaking Britannia (of Britannia Airways, chartered to take schoolkids) from Luton - Paris - Rome - Benghazi - Juba - Nairobi - Dar. 24 or so hours, and wearing a kilt made it discomfy. After our last trip they had the decency to crash that aircraft in Yugoslavia, sparing us another vile experience on it. Comets, BOAC or EAA, were fabulous, and only imploded occasionally, with other people on board.

Luxury my boy... My first flight to the Dark Continent in the early to mid 1950s was in an Avro York.. unpressurised cabin, sick bags and so noisy we had to use ear plugs!

Tool

LE
I don't think it's funny that they were shot. I think it was funny that the people who were doing it were so appallingly lacking in civilized behaviour that they had to be told not to shoot fellow humans as game. I see it as black humour. I've removed the "funny" though, as it seems to have upset you and I didn't intend that.

Were people actually shooting them as "game" though, or was there some other reason behind it and people thought they could get away with shooting them over it?
Don't just ask "whitey". The "black" tribes also saw them as vermin and shot them on sight, as they were useless as slaves.
They were "got rid of" because of their tendancy to assume that anything on the land was communal property as was in their past. White settlers and black pastoralists took a dim view of finding a cow or two being slaughtered by someone who was not willing to pay for said beasties, whilst the perpetrators had no concept of ownership or land rights.

Don't just ask "whitey". The "black" tribes also saw them as vermin and shot them on sight, as they were useless as slaves.
They were "got rid of" because of their tendancy to assume that anything on the land was communal property as was in their past. White settlers and black pastoralists took a dim view of finding a cow or two being slaughtered by someone who was not willing to pay for said beasties, whilst the perpetrators had no concept of ownership or land rights.

The equivalent of modern day pikeys. Slotting them seems a bit harsh, and you mention slaves, just how old are you?

Tool

LE
The equivalent of modern day pikeys. Slotting them seems a bit harsh, and you mention slaves, just how old are you?
Oldefuckingnough to know that the train of discussion was in a historical sense. As others have mentioned, slavery still plays a major role in labour markets across the world.
Also, the concept of San and !Kung peoples being pikeys completely misses the point. When they were on the land (40,000+ years before the modern era), there was more than enough to go around, you just needed to move with the herds or to where the rains had fallen.

Latest Threads