Tales of a Colonial Policeman

Monty never changed his opinions. In 1947, then CIGS, he supported the creation of Bernard Fergussons Palestinian Police 'Special Squads' led by former WW2 SAS Sqn commanders Farran and McGregor - hastly abandoned after Farren killed a youth during interrogation. Fergusson had wanted squad leaders who had some experience of conducting terrorist type activities in order to give tbe Jewish insurgents a 'bloody nose'. Farren and McGregor were identified as suitable candidates by 'Boy Browning' and the overall concept of the operation had full backing from Monty.
I should add that both Farran and McGregor's war-time record was outstanding with McGregor perhaps being the more audacious though less well known of the duo (apart from his son being the second commander of the MRF in Belfast 72). Both had been a thorn in the underbelly of German forces in France and Italy and were highly decorated for their endeavours.

Karamoja

Old-Salt
aardvaark the carpeted said :-
They sound like they're kin to the people you've named yourself after. No bad thing at all.
Hmmm...not too sure about that. If the Karamajong went to war with the Tswana, the Karamajong would be talking, around their fires at night, about the time of the "Great Killing" for hundreds of years. The Tswana would not be talking around any fires because they would be extinct.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ugly said :-

Hmmm...not too sure about that. If the Karamajong went to war with the Tswana, the Karamajong would be talking, around their fires at night, about the time of the "Great Killing" for hundreds of years. The Tswana would not be talking around any fires because they would be extinct.
That's fair.

Penguin142

Old-Salt
Fortunately for me, having covered most of the early history of Britain in the first 4 years of grammar school, we covered from the corn laws to 1945 in our )O level history classes. As history was one of my favourite subjects and I had a great history teacher who coincidentally had exactly the same name as me (no relation at all), I took & passed O level history with flying colours at 14 & was allowed to take & pass British Empire history as well.
The teacher was extremely upset when I left school at 15, albeit with 7 O levels, instead of going on to do it at A level & then onto Uni where he said I would easily get a degree in it. He actually wrote to my mother to persuade her to let me stay on, but sadly coming from a very poor one parent family, (we lived with my Grandparents) I left and started work the next week, with me feeling ever so proud putting my first weeks pay packet on my grans ironing board, the magnificent sum of £2.10/- less stoppages, from which she gave me the large sum, to me, of 7/6* to spend!
* that's 37 & 1/2 p for you youngsters. & yes it would pay for enough pints to get me pissed on Friday night. (I was tall for my age & never had problems getting served) :)
Snap!

ISTR that was the argument between GCEs and GCSEs , the trends are consistently downwards. Those of us who got GCEs had to remember, not just file course work.
I saw the results of that downward trend when I became a research student and had to teach the unwashed. I kicked off at a Poly, which became a uni, then moved to a red brick for my MSc and then research studenting. I noticed a distinct difference in the quality and ability of the kids I started off with initially compared to those I met four years down the line when I had to objectively assess and mark their work. The standard of spelling, ability to write and pull together a report and grasp of basic maths for kid's attending a red brick was abysmal.

Then, it gets even worse. As I was marking work I had to sit on a couple of review committee's to decide if the kids should move forward to the next year of their degree, repeat the year, or get binned. Normally if they scrape an aggregate 40%+ overall they are allowed to continue with a bit of a "buck your ideas up" talking to if they are below 50%. When Poly's became uni's that had a knock on effect to real uni's, instead of upholding the highest levels of standards things were let slip in the cash driven quest for bum's on seat's. In my top end, research uni, in order to keep the cash flowing they decided to allow kid's who had scored less than 40% overall to continue out of the first year into the second year. Then if they had the same piss poor performance in year two they were kept on again to continue into year three. However, instead of receiving an Honours Degree graded at 1st, 2:1, 2:2, or 3rd they received an unclassified degree. This means they can still put BA, or BSc after their name, state on a CV that they have a degree but, the reality with the effort they have put in and the mark they have achieved it is nothing more than a certificate of attendance.

Last edited:
Fortunately for me, having covered most of the early history of Britain in the first 4 years of grammar school, we covered from the corn laws to 1945 in our )O level history classes. As history was one of my favourite subjects and I had a great history teacher who coincidentally had exactly the same name as me (no relation at all), I took & passed O level history with flying colours at 14 & was allowed to take & pass British Empire history as well.
The teacher was extremely upset when I left school at 15, albeit with 7 O levels, instead of going on to do it at A level & then onto Uni where he said I would easily get a degree in it. He actually wrote to my mother to persuade her to let me stay on, but sadly coming from a very poor one parent family, (we lived with my Grandparents) I left and started work the next week, with me feeling ever so proud putting my first weeks pay packet on my grans ironing board, the magnificent sum of £2.10/- less stoppages, from which she gave me the large sum, to me, of 7/6* to spend!
* that's 37 & 1/2 p for you youngsters. & yes it would pay for enough pints to get me pissed on Friday night. (I was tall for my age & never had problems getting served) :)
My first paycheck as a young copper was 128.00 for a month, that was back in the late 70's, back then though police officers had accomodation provided or paid for. People used to get married, have kids and mortgages on that salary.

I saw the results of that downward trend when I became a research student and had to teach the unwashed. I kicked off at a Poly, which became a uni, then moved to a red brick for my MSc and then research studenting. I noticed a distinct difference in the quality and ability of the kids I started off with initially compared to those I met four years down the line when I had to objectively assess and mark their work. The standard of spelling, ability to write and pull together a report and grasp of basic maths for kid's attending a red brick was abysmal.

Then, it gets even worse. As I was marking work I had to sit on a couple of review committee's to decide if the kids should move forward to the next year of their degree, repeat the year or get binned. Normally if they scrape an aggregate 40%+ overall they are allowed to continue with a bit of a "buck your ideas up" talking to if they are below 50%. When Poly's became uni's that had a knock on effect to real uni's, instead of upholding the highest levels of standards things were let slip in the cash driven quest for bum's on seat's. In my top end, research uni, in order to keep the cash flowing they decided to allow kid's who had scored less than 40% overall continue out of the first year into the second year. Then if they had the saem piss poor performance in year two they were kept on again to continue into year three. However, instead of receiving an Honours Degree graded at 1st, 2:1, 2:2, or 3rd they received an unclassified degree. This means they can still put BA, or BSc after their name, state on a CV that they have a degree but, the reality with the effort they have put in and the mark they have it is nothing more than a certificate of attendance.
Phew. Well at least I honestly flunked Maths GCE second year I couldn’t get my head round. I tried three times at different times and no teacher could break that barrier. I never had pretences for Uni.

To be honest, all Tim Berners Lee hoped for was to be able to search through work he'd done in Oxford from Switzerland, and vice versa, without too much technical mumbo jumbo. The fact that HTML and the Web pervade life these days is a largely unforseen and unintended consequence, he originally was thinking of people just being able to follow up references in academic papers.

My first paycheck as a young copper was 128.00 for a month, that was back in the late 70's, back then though police officers had accomodation provided or paid for. People used to get married, have kids and mortgages on that salary.

......when a 3 bed semi in a good area did not cost vastly proportionally more than today, £1,000,000+ is the going price in the smoke,, In north east london my house I bought on montage in 83 was £19,500, today that same 1895 terraced house is over £750,000. In 81, back as a sparks in the UK my pay rate was £1.5p P/H. take home pay after stoppages was about £80 which had to pay for Everything. My hourly rate today is £21+ P/H, but the house prices have shot up totally out of proportion to the rising wages..

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
......when a 3 bed semi in a good area did not cost vastly proportionally more than today, £1,000,000+ is the going price in the smoke,, In north east london my house I bought on montage in 83 was £19,500, today that same 1895 terraced house is over £750,000. In 81, back as a sparks in the UK my pay rate was £1.5p P/H. take home pay after stoppages was about £80 which had to pay for Everything. My hourly rate today is £21+ P/H, but the house prices have shot up totally out of proportion to the rising wages..
...and who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
OK, point taken. I am now retired, but still have a 32 year old at home, who hasn't a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting on the housing ladder.
If she's fit she can share my khaya.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last edited:

ugly

LE
We did Europe 1789-1870 for O levels. Got all the juicy bits in - Napoleon, Bismarck, Corn Laws, Garibaldi. Good stuff.
I was looking for something to fill the kindle with and stumbled across Pitt and the Great War, whoa I thought, I am sure he didn't? However its about his time from 1790 onwards and I'm at the point where the Kings refusal to emancipate Catholics forces Pitts resignation. Look at the map of Europe then and see how the low countries and Germany changed hands so very regularly between the French, Austrian, Spanish, Russians and even the Swedes were involved.
Its also a great insight into income tax and parliamentary reform!

Only in London. Your wages have gone from £1.50 to £21 per hour since 1981, a healthy 7.2% per year. Average house price in UK in 1981 was £21500 which, compounded by that same 7.2% pa gives us a smidge over £300k. According to official data, UK house prices now average £226k:

UK House Price Index

I have always worked in London but could never afford to live there, even less so now at today's stupid prices, and cannot understand people impoverishing themselves to do so.

ugly

LE
Ugly said :-

I never said that first quote

Only in London. Your wages have gone from £1.50 to £21 per hour since 1981, a healthy 7.2% per year. Average house price in UK in 1981 was £21500 which, compounded by that same 7.2% pa gives us a smidge over £300k. According to official data, UK house prices now average £226k:

UK House Price Index

I have always worked in London but could never afford to live there, even less so now at today's stupid prices, and cannot understand people impoverishing themselves to do so.

Point taken, only that that area I moved escaped from was but a spit from the Olympic village, and the new Stratford transport interchange hub, hence the mind boggling house prices, compounded by an infestation of hipsters into the local area. ( Rent-O-Kill have been informed)

I have always worked in London but could never afford to live there
[/B]

The very reason we upped sticks and moved north into the forbidden zone, and now 31 years later, house paid for, all but one sprog gone, and a nice quite retired life in rural south Staffordshire. Dit:- I returned from the smoke yesterday (20th May) after 3 days visiting relatives, back on the old manor, it was horrendous, the bus from Euston was a babble of un-intelligible dialects and accents, the smell, noise congested streets and an almost overwhelming sense of total panic, and isolation was palpable, my first trip down for 3 years, and every time it gets increasingly worse, and the prices, my god!, how does someone on the basic wage survive? If you are thinking of getting the hell outa dodge, there must be good reasons, don't think about it any more, DO IT, you will not regret it. You know it makes sense.

Latest Threads