Tales of a Colonial Policeman

uhmm ties in with what has been written on the fb group regards the UN.

However - it was not to be, and the UN moved in eventually. They were arresting people such as Katangese soldiers and policemen, and in some cases taking them to the top of the Post Office building in Elisabethville and chucking them off. Nice guys! I know of some UN officers that came to Ndola, and were going to have a few beers at the Elephant and Castle Hotel, but were 'politely' told by xxx xxxxxxx to "Foxtrot Oscar" as they didn't serve murderers! Different times they were.

Do you ever go onto this site, it used to be quite good with lots of articles GNR Home Page -- Great North Road (GNR, Northern Rhodesia, Zambia)

Ex-colonial, just finished the whole thread and I would like to say how much I enjoyed your stories. They brought back several memories to me, the Union Castle boats and the song "Ag pleez daddy". I drove my parents up the wall singing it!

The December 2018 issue of the Aeroplane had an article about RAF Javelins in the Far East. There is a small bit about the detachment to Ndola in 1965 which you might find amusing. Questions were asked in the Zambian Parliament as to what the Javelins were up to as no one ever saw them flying! Reputedly, a crew then flew down Cairo St, Lusaka, at 5th floor level to show them! Another Zambian MP also asked why the aircraft couldn't be used to aid the Zambian economy whilst they were in the country citing crop spraying as a possibility. The RAF commander then issued a spoof leaflet on how to this which entailed drilling holes in the central tanks and fitting spray nozzles!

Seriously, I believe that every RAF sortie had to be cleared by Salisbury ATC!

Quite right, we also got our met from Salisbury. I was with No.1 A.C.C. , The end of the runway was apparently ruined by the Javs going to re-heat before take off, did not see for myself. We hosed ourselves when a C130 tried to take a short cut and ended with it's belly on the mud. Took days to recover the plane.

uhmm ties in with what has been written on the fb group regards the UN.

However - it was not to be, and the UN moved in eventually. They were arresting people such as Katangese soldiers and policemen, and in some cases taking them to the top of the Post Office building in Elisabethville and chucking them off. Nice guys! I know of some UN officers that came to Ndola, and were going to have a few beers at the Elephant and Castle Hotel, but were 'politely' told by xxx xxxxxxx to "Foxtrot Oscar" as they didn't serve murderers! Different times they were.
The UN not covering themselves in glory?

Big fat hairy surprise...

Shamelessly nicked from the BE site. this photo of the colours & guard of our sister Regiment the NRR in the '30's

This little snippet just goes to show the mentality of the people we were dealing with then and sadly it hasn't changed in the subsequent 50 or so years.
A friend of one of my sons works for the Foreign Office and had the misfortune to be based in the DRC during one of the Ebola outbreaks. He told my son that the local customs made it almost impossible to halt the outbreak, as this happened regularly. .. At least 14 killed in violence in eastern Congo's Ebola zone | Reuters
snip "The health ministry said that in Butembo a group of 22 men dug up the body of an Ebola victim to make sure organs had been removed from the corpse by the health workers, in doing so entering into contact with bodily fluids of the victim. They all accepted to be vaccinated on Sunday the ministry said."
He also said there were lots of reports of corruption in the WHO workers who often peddled Ebola vaccine for sex. Ebola vaccine offered in exchange for sex, Congo taskforce meeting told
snip "Research by several NGOs has revealed that a deep mistrust of health workers is rife in DRC and gender-based violence is believed to have increased since the start of the Ebola outbreak in August.
In a statement, the Ministry of Health said some participants in focus groups had “expressed concerns about women and girls being offered Ebola-related services in exchange for sexual favours.”

and this where woman are blamed for spreading it. … "Concerns were raised over a reported increase in stigma and violence facing women. Some women are blamed for failing to prevent the spread of the disease, according to the research by the International Rescue Committee (IRC), whose study was cited in the presentation.
Trina Helderman, senior health and nutrition adviser for Medair’s global emergency response team, said the Ebola response should have established a higher standard of protection for women.
This region of DRC has a long history of sexual violence and exploitation of women and girls. Though shocking, this is an issue that could have been anticipated,” said Helderman"

Once again the do gooders think they can change the customs & ways of people that have no concept of the modern western world!

I am a bit late to this thread but I just want to say what an interesting story, I had no clue about what we did when we had colonies. It’s a shame that sub Sahara has descended into chaos with no end in sight. Things like this always make me wonder if in 50 years I’ll have such interesting tales as this to interest people with ( in my case probably bore them)

I am a bit late to this thread but I just want to say what an interesting story, I had no clue about what we did when we had colonies. It’s a shame that sub Sahara has descended into chaos with no end in sight. Things like this always make me wonder if in 50 years I’ll have such interesting tales as this to interest people with ( in my case probably bore them)

Thanks for your input. You can perhaps understand why I get somewhat annoyed when I read some of the s**t the "dogooders/apologists" start with their "nasty white colonial oppressors" bit, both on this site & elsewhere. Needless to say I always try to put them right.
Sadly with so much rewriting of our history, often by some who have agendas to suit, much of our past is being forgotten or painted in a bad light. It was this and many requests from others on this site that stirred me into starting this thread.
Fortunately it was taken up by the British Empire website as well & Stephen Luscombe condensed it leaving out the arrsers comments so its a bit more readable on his site Tales of Colonial Policeman in Northern Rhodesia
Glad you enjoyed & spread the word for others to be enlightened!!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Greetings 'Colonial'!
Recently I was listening to a Radio 4 Broadcast, it was concerning a researcher that was going to Sri Lanka to cover the recent atrocity. He was asked by the female Radio 4 announcer " Are you comfortable with Colonial guilt, which you may have to consider while you are there?" The prat agreed that it was an issue. I just mention this just to reiterate where most of this shite comes from. From the BBC and from people who have seen and done very little in their lives except to attend university and become overpaid!

Last edited:
Greetings 'Colonial'! Recently I was listening to a Radio 4 Broadcast, it was concerning a researcher that was going to Sri Lanka to cover the recent atrocity. He was asked by the female Radio 4 announcer " Are you comfortable with Colonial guilt, which you may have to consider while you are there?" The prat agreed that it was an issue. I just mention this just to reiterate where most of this shite comes from. From the BBC and from people who have seen and done very little in their lives except to attend university and become overpaid!

I see this with many, if not most, current programmes talking about Africa in particular. It even percolates through to natural history, documentaries & travel programmes about places, where often a commentator will get a dig in just to show how pc they are.
I and indeed most people should realise, yes the Brits were not angels in the 18th & 19th Centuries BUT we were no worse than all other European powers and a damn sight easier than most of the African despots at the time where slavery, cannibalism & tribal wars were endemic . Indeed that was one of the reasons we went there, to try & stop these wars.
Its no good trying to look back & impose 21st C morals on our actions 1,2 or even 5 centuries ago, which these snowflakes try to do all the f**king time. Indeed if Britain hadn't been tough & aggressive in those days we would probably been subject to either France or Spain & of course Germany in the last 100 years.
It always amuses me to hear these same snowflakes talking about "democracy" which originated in ancient Greece, when only a small % of the Greek population actually had democracy as the bulk of the population were slaves!
We gave these countries their democratic freedom in the mid 20th C. only to see a raft of African dictators de facto, take it away again and return to the old ways.

Its always nice to see this thread appear again, means another excellent history lesson for me. Funnily enough I was just reading the thread earlier about history not being taught in schools such a shame young people aren't still taught this as well as how awful the brits were to our overseas territories. Love the photo of the Colour Parade, so very British. More dits when you have a moment please @ex-colonial

I see this with many, if not most, current programmes talking about Africa in particular. It even percolates through to natural history, documentaries & travel programmes about places, where often a commentator will get a dig in just to show how pc they are.
I and indeed most people should realise, yes the Brits were not angels in the 18th & 19th Centuries BUT we were no worse than all other European powers and a damn sight easier than most of the African despots at the time where slavery, cannibalism & tribal wars were endemic . Indeed that was one of the reasons we went there, to try & stop these wars.
Its no good trying to look back & impose 21st C morals on our actions 1,2 or even 5 centuries ago, which these snowflakes try to do all the f**king time. Indeed if Britain hadn't been tough & aggressive in those days we would probably been subject to either France or Spain & of course Germany in the last 100 years.
It always amuses me to hear these same snowflakes talking about "democracy" which originated in ancient Greece, when only a small % of the Greek population actually had democracy as the bulk of the population were slaves!
We gave these countries their democratic freedom in the mid 20th C. only to see a raft of African dictators de facto, take it away again and return to the old ways.
Indeed the rapidity with which the post war Labour Government shed it’s colonial image did far more harm than good. It was almost brutal. The speed with with communists filled the vacuum was just as surprising bearing in mind their message was was relief from imperialists. From my perspective as a half German having lived in Libya for six years it was in some senses quite amusing that no one wanted to let Germany redevelop but were quite happy for inter rival slaughter to happen in the Far East and Africa. Funny old world.

Indeed the rapidity with which the post war Labour Government shed it’s colonial image did far more harm than good. It was almost brutal. The speed with with communists filled the vacuum was just as surprising bearing in mind their message was was relief from imperialists. From my perspective as a half German having lived in Libya for six years it was in some senses quite amusing that no one wanted to let Germany redevelop but were quite happy for inter rival slaughter to happen in the Far East and Africa. Funny old world.

I think many people had no idea how broke/in debt Britain was after the war. I think it was this that triggered a lot, if not all of the political thinking, which lead to us dumping our colonies.
It affected us in NR which was one of the comparatively wealthy colonies with its copper revenues. I know at one stage, each of the shifts had a fairly strict mileage limitation for our vehicles, which severely limited our patrols to outlying areas, even sub stations. It lead to more foot patrols, obviously but the sub station might only get one visit a week as it was about 15 miles away. Fortunately it was on the telephone so emergencies could flag an additional visit. The powers that be also cut the amount of ammo we were allowed for training, hence many of us had to buy additional .38 rounds or buy our own personal sidearms as I said in one of my earlier posts.
It all came to and end when the state of emergency was declared and we had to put ourselves about quite a bit.

Its always nice to see this thread appear again, means another excellent history lesson for me. Funnily enough I was just reading the thread earlier about history not being taught in schools such a shame young people aren't still taught this as well as how awful the brits were to our overseas territories. Love the photo of the Colour Parade, so very British. More dits when you have a moment please @ex-colonial

Just a small memory, this was part of the mess silver from the mobile unit mess. Its sterling silver and was put up for auction by someone in 2018. I wish I'd seen it, I would have put a bid in for it.

1558092465690.png

Apparently for those who were in the Mess on its dissolution after independence there were lots of smaller pieces, all hallmarked silver, that were bid for at the time by members still in country. So bits are now all over the world.