Tales of a Colonial Policeman

Stress can increase bone mineral density. Assuming adequate calcium and D3 intake.

It can’t affect skeletal structure in heredity terms.

You simply cannot pass on acquired characteristics. That idea fell apart in 1809 (coincidentally the year Darwin was born).

Unnecessary drift though.

I love this thread, it’s like a snapshot of a time and a place I have no knowledge of.

But. The thicker African skull actually is a myth.

There is no medical evidence to support African skulls being thicker than any other race. None.

And even if someone did develop some form of stronger bone they would not pass this acquired characteristic on to their descendants. Evolution and human reproduction doesn’t work that way.

You can turn a ten stone weakling into Charles Atlas but you ain’t changing his skeletal structure.

So more dits about colonialism but no rewriting biology. Purleeze.

My bold.. I was writing about what the ME told me which was in his own experience of PM's in Africa over 20 odd years on both Africans and Europeans, during one of the several PM's I attended, after I had mentioned the fact I had broken my short baton on an Africans head in an altercation. A few other people responded to say they had or had heard of similar things!!
Absolutely no rewriting on my part.

My bold.. I was writing about what the ME told me which was in his own experience of PM's in Africa over 20 odd years on both Africans and Europeans, during one of the several PM's I attended, after I had mentioned the fact I had broken my short baton on an Africans head in an altercation. A few other people responded to say they had or had heard of similar things!!
Absolutely no rewriting on my part.

Ex

I am simply enthralled by your stories ! Keep them coming.

Though being separated by 30 some-odd years and a completely different continent & locale, I have found some things that resonate with my police experiences......One of them was being told to never hit a black man (other races were fine) in the head with either your fist (broken hand) or nightstick (broken nightstick), always go for the clavicle or shins ! (and that bit of advice was from my Training Officer, a black man !)

Higher bone density may be another evolutionary adaptation alongside longer muscle fibres. Tyson and Ali absorbed massive hits without batting an eye. More efficient use of calcium?

Indeed I did. John Maxwell, he came to Chingola just before I moved to Bancroft. He was ex RAF Police born I believe in Merseyside and seemed a nice enough bloke if not a bit of a "know it all" . Funnily enough I remember being in the Mess one evening when he was present and we were discussing Croc attacks and how no water in that part of Africa was sure to be clear of them as all of the locals had told us. In fact even when we went to a local swimming hole, believed to be clear, we always took at least one rifle and had someone stand guard after we had thrown a thunderflash into the pool to try & at least get any possible croc's to show themselves. This was in a small pool fed by a spring, not on the main Kafue which we knew was full of croc's.
The other thing discussed was that the only vulnerable spot on a big croc were the eyes.
Anyway he had been on Farm Patrol and found a spot on the banks of the Kafue with a pleasant sandy beach on a bend. On the 10th Dec 1961 he went there for a swim. The farmer had previously told him he let his kids play on it occasionally and agreed it would be ok if John went for a swim.
On that day John swam to a rock about 20 yds from the beach and pulling himself up on it started sunbathing whilst watching the 2 young children, about 9 & 11 play in the shallows next to the beach when he saw a most unusual sight a log floating "upstream" towards the children. It was a 13 foot croc, without hesitation he dived off the rock swam to the beach and got the 2 children up to safety on a slight bank when the croc grabbed his leg & started dragging him into deeper water. He remembered the chat about the crocs eyes & managed to jab his thumb into one of them, on which the croc released him and he started to try & get back to shore. But the croc wasn't finished it came again and stated dragging him further out, in despair he jabbed his thumb in the other eye on which it released him. By this time he was next to the rock he had been sunbathing on and just managed to cling on, both his legs had been mauled & bleeding profusely, the children's cries had been heard by a local African woman Belina Malomi , she despite the croc still thrashing around after its eyes had been gouged out waded out to the rock & dragged Maxwell ashore. She then helped him make a tourniquet for the worst damaged leg and the farmers 14 year old daughter, the farmer & his wife were away on business, helped him to his car & drove him to the Mine hospital in Chingola .
One leg was so badly mauled it had to be amputated below the knee and he was transferred to Roehampton to be fitted with an artificial one. I, amongst others visited him in hospital before he went to the UK. On the 10/4/'62 both he and Mrs Mallomi were gazetted for the George Medal.
Chingola District Police also had a collection for Mrs Mallomi and on the 24/12/'61 she was presented with a brand new bicycle at a full dress parade at the Chingola district Police camp to thank her for her bravery.
He returned to duty on his recovery and was seconded for the rest of his tour to Sir Roy Welensky's personal bodyguard.
Most of us thought whilst he was incredibly brave, he should never have been swimming ALONE & without an armed lookout in the Kafue.
The following day the Game department went to the farm and shot the croc, which had lost its eyes thanks to Maxwell. It measured just over 13 feet long!
Bloody funny creatures crocs.

Apparently they live for up to a hundred and fifty years.

A mate of mine, a retired NT copper, when I was first in the Territory nearly thirty years ago, shot and killed a saltie in the 1950's, and he swears that he found a Brown Bess musket ball in the carcass. He believed that the croc had in it's youth, been wounded by a member of the British Army Garrison at Fort Dundas , that had been abandoned in 1830.

Last edited:
Just waiting now for all the old oyibos to tell of the bodies in the Lagos Lagoon. It could get quite stiff with them at times.

My brother managed a hotel in the Gambia at one time, on the beach in the capital, Banjul. Close by, just behind the beach was the main city cemetery; it was not a beach to go jogging on after a high, stormy wash. You could break a leg on an arm.
Ah yes. Lagos Lagoon, and Five Cowrie Creek. In Abacha's time criminals were shot on bar beach, so there used to be quite an accumulation of bodies in those waters.

A friend was hosting a barbecue on the banks of five Cowrie Creek when a bloated dead body was spotted drifting by. Several of the Saffas at the barbecue braai made some brave jokes, and at that moment a speedboat going down the creek ran over the body causing the gasses to waft around the braai venue. Not much was eaten that day.

Edited to add: Keep the fascinating reminiscences coming ex_colonial - fantastic reads

Mentioned elsewhere on here, during the Rwandan genocide the bodies used to wash down the Rusizi(? - mind turned to putty. Can't be sure of the name) into Lake Tanganyika, to the extent the crocs wouldn't even look at them, they were that fat and lazy. Same with the crocs in the Nile below Owen Falls Dam during the Amin years.

The liberal west and their fickle click bait spouting MSM, with the exception of a few on site reporters, don't really get the full extent of the madness.

Last edited:
Just waiting now for all the old oyibos to tell of the bodies in the Lagos Lagoon. It could get quite stiff with them at times.

My brother managed a hotel in the Gambia at one time, on the beach in the capital, Banjul. Close by, just behind the beach was the main city cemetery; it was not a beach to go jogging on after a high, stormy wash. You could break a leg on an arm.
I remember going on holiday to a hotel near Banjul. A trip into Banjul was most interesting, particularly the Gambian Naval Base.

At one of HMNB the warning signs would concern the OSA and look like this

1532327459046.jpeg

At the Gambian Naval facility the following was spray painted on the perimeter wall:

"No pissing against the wall"

Yes, that definitely brings memories flooding back.

In my case it was flying London - Rome - Nairobi - Dar es Salaam for the first time as the family went to live in Tanganyika/Tanzania.

BOAC Comet, very itchy seats and poor air con.
You grateful twat, you could have pitched up for your flight for one of the Comets where the things broke up over the sea!

There is no medical evidence to support African skulls being thicker than any other race. None.
[thread drift on]

Well... it really would not be surprising if there were no medical evidence for this because researching it would be career suicide today. In exactly the same way that there was no medical evidence of the link between the return of tuberculosis in the UK in the 1990s and uncontrolled immigration from populations where TB is endemic (Slovak gypsies, here's looking at you), because this was not an acceptable finding in the political climate of the time. Hence why for that kind of study you have to look a lot further back, like here - Thickness of the normal skull in the American Blacks and Whites. - PubMed - NCBI

Similarly with greater bone density in skeletons of African descent than in Caucasians (which might also account for some of the tales we're hearing here):

Bones in different races

- although in this instance the thing that inclines me most to believing this must be the case is that it's been denied with outrage in the Guardian:

Lola Adesioye: The lack of black swimmers at the Olympics doesn't mean race determines athletic prowess

[thread drift off and apologies]

[thread drift on]

Well... it really would not be surprising if there were no medical evidence for this because researching it would be career suicide today. In exactly the same way that there was no medical evidence of the link between the return of tuberculosis in the UK in the 1990s and uncontrolled immigration from populations where TB is endemic (Slovak gypsies, here's looking at you), because this was not an acceptable finding in the political climate of the time. Hence why for that kind of study you have to look a lot further back, like here - Thickness of the normal skull in the American Blacks and Whites. - PubMed - NCBI

Similarly with greater bone density in skeletons of African descent than in Caucasians (which might also account for some of the tales we're hearing here):

Bones in different races

- although in this instance the thing that inclines me most to believing this must be the case is that it's been denied with outrage in the Guardian:

Lola Adesioye: The lack of black swimmers at the Olympics doesn't mean race determines athletic prowess

[thread drift off and apologies]

My bold so true, I remember about 40/50 odd years ago some scientists in Harvard came out with some research which showed this... "Among white Americans, the average IQ, as of a decade or so ago, was 103. Among Asian-Americans, it was 106. Among Jewish Americans, it was 113. Among Latino Americans, it was 89. Among African-Americans, it was 85. Around the world, studies find the same general pattern: whites 100, East Asians 106, sub-Sarahan Africans 70. One IQ table shows 113 in Hong Kong, 110 in Japan, and 100 in Britain. White populations in Australia, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United States score closer to one another than to the worldwide black average. It's been that way for at least a century."
This caused a lot of upset at the time and indeed it was almost erased from history for being "racist", with the deniers conveniently overlooking the fact that most Asian & Jewish groups got much higher scores that the whites!!
However it would appear that some eminent scientists still agree with the low IQ premiss with the usual suspects still crying "racist".. see this article... Low IQs are Africa's curse, says lecturer
snip "Low IQs are Africa's curse, says lecturer
Researcher accused of promoting racist stereotype wins backing from LSE
The London School of Economics is embroiled in a row over academic freedom after one of its lecturers published a paper alleging that African states were poor and suffered chronic ill-health because their populations were less intelligent than people in richer countries.
Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist, is now accused of reviving the politics of eugenics by publishing the research which concludes that low IQ levels, rather than poverty and disease, are the reason why
life expectancy is low and infant mortality high
. His paper, published in the British Journal of Health Psychology, compares IQ scores with indicators of ill health in 126 countries and claims that nations at the top of the ill health league also have the lowest intelligence ratings.
Paul Collins, a spokesman for War On Want, the international development charity, said the research 'runs the risk of resurrecting the racist stereotype that Africans are responsible for their own plight, and may reinforce prejudices that Africans are less intelligent'

A bit later in my time at Chingola on the 18th September I and several others on my station were sent to search in the bush to the East & S. East of Chingola to see if we could spot any sign of the plane carrying Dag Hammarskjöld, the UN Secretary General which had gone missing on a flight from Leopoldville in the Congo to Ndola about 90 miles South of Chingola. Parties from every Police Station in that area were sent to search.
This is a post I did earlier in response to claims that it was shot down by either Katangese or Rhodesian Aircraft.

Interesting to see the claim that his plane was shot down by a Katangese jet fighter fighter. This is dubious to say the least.
Katanga only ever had a maximum of 3 Fouga CM 170 Magisters, basically a 2 seater training aircraft which could and was, used as a ground attack plane by the Katangese. But as a night fighter it was totally unsuitable, Hamaskjolds plane crashed at just after midnight, the time was ascertained by the watches found on the bodies, in an area that large. . Despite the damage caused by the resultant fire, no signs of any such attack was found on the plane or bodies recovered. It was almost certainly pilot error by him misjudging his height on his approach to Ndola, the wheels were found to be locked down for landing and the attitude of the plane and the 800 yd long trail of damage to trees etc showed that. The pilot had already requested clearance for landing at Ndola at 22.38, at 00.10 he reported "lights in sight" and a Police officer in Ndola heard an aircraft just after that and not long after saw a flash in the sky. It was as a result of that that the Police searches began not long afterwards from 4 stations in the surrounding area,
This was a pilot who took off from Leopoldville filing a flight plan for Luluaboug, and then went on to fly over lake Tanganyika, (the blue area to the left of Albertville) to avoid flying over Katanga, to get to Ndola, which is located about 100 odd miles S.E. of Elizabethville on the map below. That would have added over 1000 miles to his journey, so after being in the air for almost 7 hours he would be pretty tired and messed up his preparations for landing.
But hey who wants to spoil the conspiracy theorists reports of numerous people allegedly seeing a second jet shooting at another. This is an area which apart from the mining town of Ndola and a few other mining towns to the N. W. only had a very few widely scattered very small African villages with only rough bush tracks between them, so few, if any, reliable witnesses.

This is a video of the crash scene, showing Police who guarded the scene. the only sign of a weapon is afire damage pistol @ about 1.43 probably from one of his security detail.
dag hammarskold crash - Bing video

Ah yes. Lagos Lagoon, and Five Cowrie Creek. In Abacha's time criminals were shot on bar beach, so there used to be quite an accumulation of bodies in those waters.

A friend was hosting a barbecue on the banks of five Cowrie Creek when a bloated dead body was spotted drifting by. Several of the Saffas at the barbecue braai made some brave jokes, and at that moment a speedboat going down the creek ran over the body causing the gasses to waft around the braai venue. Not much was eaten that day.

Edited to add: Keep the fascinating reminiscences coming ex_colonial - fantastic reads

My bold.. exactly, After each of my attendances at PM's, I found it difficult to get stuck in to a meal that contained meat, especially my first one where my shift commander, after sending me on it, went to the mess & deliberately ordered our cook to prepare a nice steak & KIDNEY pie, just to see my face afterwards. When that was served up that night I retched and left the table hurriedly, much to the hilarity of the rest of the mess who had been informed of the sick, well to me anyway, joke of serving bits of meat and KIDNEYS! I took a few days of cheese & pickle sandwiches or plain omelettes before I could face the normal meat heavy diet we enjoyed in NR. I believe like S. Africa at the time, Rhodesia consumed more meat per capita than even the Yanks, with steak being so commonplace one wished for a change occasionally. For instance Fish was rarely served, with us being over 5 days by train from Cape Town the most accessible port at the time. Occasionally we might get a freshly caught Bream from the Kafue which was a nice change, but that was rare.
Various types of venison & fowl would occasionally be served if someone had been out shooting in our district. Duiker, bushbuck, impala & kudu were occasionally served but I found most to be a bit tough but still tasty. Dove, quail, duck, goose and my favourite guinea fowl were also occasional treats. Indeed Johnny had invited me to a duck shoot within 2 weeks of my arrival, him lending me one of a pair of nice Birmingham shotguns that he had inherited from his Grandfather.
The shoot was around a "dambo", in this instance a small shallow lake created by damming a small stream on a nearby farm whose owner Johnny knew. As at that time I had never fired a shotgun at a flying target & knew nothing about leads, sighting through the line of flight etc, he had told not to bother with flying bird leave that to him. He was to position himself behind a bush at one side & my job was to work my way unobtrusively along the other side to get in range of a few ducks on the surface fire at them trying to bag a few sitters & he would take shots a they flew over him. Then to take cover, wait for them to settle again and repeat. We managed to get 9, with him getting about 6 of those 3 I claimed as sitters. He gave 3 to the farmer by way of thanks and that night we had Duck a L'orange in the mess, with a pleasant S African red, which went down very well.
To Johnny's credit he did give me a few lessons after that to try & get me into shotgun shooting but despite me getting the odd guinea fowl I never mastered the shotgun until 15 - 20 years later when I discovered its delights in Hampshire and got my first Miroku, which according to a friend of mine I became very proficient to such an extent on one small shoot I was a member of in Berkshire, I got a bit of a reputation as a shot. We had an old retired doctor, who while loving to shoot would either "prick" or miss pheasants coming over him in the line. I loved being drawn next to him and would watch the birds approaching him keeping my gun out of my shoulder but letting the barrels follow it, after he had given it both barrels with mainly it being missed or at best "pricked", I would then "wipe his eye" snip "d. 1823 MOOR Suffolk Words s.v., In shooting, if one miss the bird, and a companion, firing after, kill it, the lucky, or more skilful gunner, is said to wipe the eye of his disappointed friend. 1860 W. W. READE Liberty Hall II. 207 If there is anything,..you shoot first, old boy, as it's your find: I'll stand by and wipe your eye"
That way I often almost doubled my bag :)
Indeed one day a bird had passed the line further up from me and was turning towards me and I heard a beater talking about the others missing it when the another beater said "don't worry he'll get it" referring to me. I did, much to my relief, hearing the one saying "I told you so" :)

Ref the meat smell............I remember a comment on here about the aftermath of the Kings Cross fire & some of the cops being ravenous for a burger when they came off shift!
I was part of a civvy security detail escorting medics to an explosion along a fuel pipeline in the Nigerian delta back in the mid 90's. Some er.bright spark had lit a fag while a large group of locals were nicking fuel from a pipe failure at one of the junction relief valves. WHUMPF. There were about 70 or 80 odd dead iirc & the smell of roasting meat was detectable nearly half a mile away by the time we turned up about 4 hours later.
We were starving afterwards.

Great set of dits. Keep em coming.

Needs more whoring.

My bold Hmm.. well being as legally I.e. unmarried and over the age of consent, available pussy was very scarce in NR as I've already said, so you won't get any tales Like the chaps who went to Hong Kong after NR and screwed themselves silly with the local birds.
There were some gorgeous looking birds there, indeed prior to my entanglement with the married lady Johnny my shift commander had taken pity on me and asked me out on a blind date, his G/F would bring along for me. We picked his g/f & her friend, an attractive young girl and took them for a meal. We got on well and went on to one of the clubs in town for a nightcap before we would return to our quarters & I might be able to get my naughty way with her. There happened to be a civilian employee of the NRP in the club who as soon as he saw us, came over & called me to one side, telling me that the girl I was with was only just 15, taking her into licenced premises & buying a drink for her was illegal & would get me into serious trouble, never mind my naughty intentions on her when we returned to our quarters. I asked her how old she was at first she said she was 18 but when I told her that someone knew her, she admitted she was only just 15. We got out asap, with Johnny being annoyed at his g/f who obviously knew it all along. But she excused it by saying Johnny had said I needed a g/f and her friend, despite her age was experienced and fancied a fit young copper.
As the weather got warmer October, November time, a group of us would often go to the mines huge open air swimming pool to cool off. Normally in the afternoons after our morning shift. At about 3.30 - 4.00 pm the schools would finish and often parties of young very attractive girls in tight revealing swim suits would turn up and occasionally would start trying to flirt with us either by chatting or pulling some very revealing or provocative positions in often wet & semi opaque costumes. Now unfortunately we knew that some could be as young as 14 up to 18 but with lovely bodies which made us sex starved blokes very uncomfortable and our interest showed up very quickly in our costumes much to the delight of these little teases.. We had to get into the pool quickly & hope the cold water doused our very aroused bodies.. To do this we learnt a technique we called the crocodile crawl into the pool. Which consisted of rolling onto our fronts and keeping very low on hands & knees trying to hide the very apparent bulges in our trunks crawl to the pool!!

Ref the meat smell............I remember a comment on here about the aftermath of the Kings Cross fire & some of the cops being ravenous for a burger when they came off shift!
I was part of a civvy security detail escorting medics to an explosion along a fuel pipeline in the Nigerian delta back in the mid 90's. Some er.bright spark had lit a fag while a large group of locals were nicking fuel from a pipe failure at one of the junction relief valves. WHUMPF. There were about 70 or 80 odd dead iirc & the smell of roasting meat was detectable nearly half a mile away by the time we turned up about 4 hours later.
We were starving afterwards.
Plainly the answer is to arrive when the krispy kritters are still freshly cooked, as opposed to rather gone off as @ex_colonial is describing.

My great grandfather was on airships with the RNAS during the First World War.* He would tell a story of a nasty mass casualty mishap with a hydrogen explosion, say the aftermath smelled exactly like roast pork with crackling, and smack his lips appreciatively.

*Edited to add - and on Sunderlands with the RAF during the Second, and thoroughly enjoyed both of them it seems.

Plainly the answer is to arrive when the krispy kritters are still freshly cooked, as opposed to rather gone off as @ex_colonial is describing.

My great grandfather was on airships with the RNAS during the First World War.* He would tell a story of a nasty mass casualty mishap with a hydrogen explosion, say the aftermath smelled exactly like roast pork with crackling, and smack his lips appreciatively.

*Edited to add - and on Sunderlands with the RAF during the Second, and thoroughly enjoyed both of them it seems.
Indeed. A nice roast pork joint does remind me of roasted human flesh. Its never bothered me tbh.