Tales from the RAF

Theres a new erk on the dispersal and I get the job of showing him round the Avro Lincoln on a what to and not to do basis. Its a cold day and the NAAFI wagon has just been, so we take our coffee and wads up into the nose and I carry on my chat. We finish break and tidy up and before I could stop him, the newby threw his coffee dregs down what looked like a drain in the floor. It wasn't a drain, oh no. There was a bang and a thud and a ten man dinghy popped out of the wing root. The look alike drain was the flotation switch in case of a ditching at sea. The lad was put on a technical charge and had to pay £5 towaeds the cost of restowing the dinghy.

Ken.

I've got quite a few of these tale from the RAF. Interested?

In my wondering I found a coppy of "We Speak From The Air" the other week published in 1942 and is the scripts of BBC RAF radio broadcasts in 1942 very interesting

A crab officer drives onto an army base, drives past a squaddie but isn't saluted. Officer stops and says to the squaddie: "Don't you salute RAF officers in the army" to which the squaddie replies "we don't have any RAF officers in the army".

I've got quite a few of these tales about the RAF. Interested?

Why is this on here and not E-Goat? This is the ARMY Rumour Service.

Wouldn't wan't the blue jobs taking over.

dingerr said:

Something to do with the Aviation forum? :roll:

Drlligaf said:
dingerr said:

Something to do with the Aviation forum? :roll:
Surely Army aviation though.

Its clearly proof that the blue jobs want to become the RFC again and rejoin the fold.

Canberraman said:
Theres a new erk on the dispersal and I get the job of showing him round the Avro Lincoln on a what to and not to do basis. Its a cold day and the NAAFI wagon has just been, so we take our coffee and wads up into the nose and I carry on my chat. We finish break and tidy up and before I could stop him, the newby threw his coffee dregs down what looked like a drain in the floor. It wasn't a drain, oh no. There was a bang and a thud and a ten man dinghy popped out of the wing root. The look alike drain was the flotation switch in case of a ditching at sea. The lad was put on a technical charge and had to pay £5 towaeds the cost of restowing the dinghy.

Ken.

Why was the Mk 31 Lincoln called the “long nosed” Lincoln?

TheBigUn said:
Canberraman said:

Ken.

Why was the Mk 31 Lincoln called the “long nosed” Lincoln?
A quick wiki search says that the RAAF stuck a long nose on the front to house submarine finding acoustic stuff. Amazing that a quick google search can do.