Tale of two Boy soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jonny8oy, Jul 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This brought a tear to my eye. Boy soldiers indeed, Giants amongst men!

Linky here
  2. You are correct. They weren't boy soldiers as they were both 18.
  3. There seems to be a head of steam growing under the idea that "18 is too young to go in a war."

Personally i was much more physically resilant then than I was 10 years later, recovered from injuries faster and phys was less of an effort.... so I think some of the sympathy is misplaced.

4. If you can vote then siurely you are mature enough to go to war
  5. On my 18th birthday I had been in the Army nearly 3 years
  6. We're on about the real army not cadets.
  7. Some of us can rember when you could join at 15
  8. I would argue there is no relationship between the two. fit aggressive young animals, well trained and equipped can go to war. However most 18 year olds do not have a scoobie about politics and the economy...

At 18 you are fit and you do recover well but you are still a bit soft around the edges. An op tour goes a long way to hardening the edges and means that the 20/25 year old on the second tour is better adjusted and able to use their increasing stamina.
  9. I went into JLR at 15 years 9 months, as soon as my O levels were complete I was on the train for basic.

When I reached 18 I thought I was old FFS. Its only when you are 20 years older that you realise that you were still a bairn.

I would rather have done my fighting when I was 18 though, you need blokes with balls of steel and a little less caution than more experienced people have.
  10. I seem to recall that one of the lads we had killed on Granby was 17. I think it was in the blue on blue, but am not 100% sure.
  11. In Charles Whiting's book, 'The Poor Bloody Infantry' there is a bit referring to the Army in the NW Europe campaign, the gist of it saying that the 18-19 year old's were more effective and took more risks that the older mid-twenties soldiers.
  12. Yep, it was in that warrior incident with the A10's (I think). Wasn't there 17 year olds killed in the SA?
  13. I am very good friends with the chap who was the youngest Para who fought in the Falklands, he was in 3 Para, he lost a couple of friends who were also under 18.

Edited to add, I joined at 16 in 1984.
  14. Well done to you.

Considering i'm in my forties and was in uniform in 1986 so can I.
  15. Filbert, I have heard a few claims to that particular title. Not debunking your mate but has he got ginger hair and was he a casette head in the RAOC after he left Para Regt? If so I know him too!