Talc for mapping

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by joycey, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have tried the NSN suggested here 9330-99-125-5426 Map Talc – D of Q Ro (roll) and its just rolls of plastic sheeting, like a carrier bag plastic.
    I have a roll but no NSN
    1m width, 1mm thick and 100m long. All my QM staff can find is sheets, any other ideas.

This is becoming really annoying its in the bloody system somewhere.

2. Try this one
    H4 9330 99 125 5425 Plastic sheet DofQ Roll
    H2 9330 99 224 2775 Plastic sheet DofQ Roll (This is Fablon I think)
  3. Don't use talc, it goes everywhere.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If you glue all the little bits together it makes a great covering sheet for a map so that any writing does not go on to the map. Great stuff this talc 8)
  5. Can't remember the NSN of the top of my head but speak to your local engineer geographic section (at most Bde HQ's or higher). They use the stuff all the time.
  6. You do surprise me, surely it must be there somewhere, stored "alongside other useless things to remember"!!
  7. Cheers people i will give the new No a try. Oh i laughed at the many funny comments!
  8. anyone got an update to the talc NSN, I also tried the one in the NSN thread and got plastic sheeting instead
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Has my memory gone? Fablon was sticky-backed plastic to go directly onto the map, whereas talc was hard plastic sheeting to fit to the map board in the back of the Saracen ACV Sultan to put the map behind. Use thick talc, fit a flourescent light along the edge, the light travels within the talc creating a pseudo-3D effect on the map and highlighting anything drawn on the talc so that it stood out. At the cost of the thickness of the talc introducing a small amount of parallax.

In 15/19H, opinions were split by HQ as to whether to use thick or very thin talc. I remember Command Troop and B Sqn favoured thin; C Sqn favoured thick. A Sqn, being Close Recce did not have their own FHQ and we never dealt with them anyway, since their troops were detached around the battlegroups.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. I preferred the thinner stuff as it was easier to put c/s etc. marker pins in the map.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Me too. BFO sheets of semi-transparent rubber are a bit of a bugger to maneuvre around the cab of a Gazelle.
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Why is it called talc?
  13. Just a guess. It`s a very versatile material.

14. I'm pleased you've had the courage to ask.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I've googled - WW2 Army slang for transparent map covering, it says. Can't imagine finding the origin of the word after all those years.
    • Informative Informative x 1