Taking whisky to Scotland?

Going to see my Daddy next week. Not seen him for 18 months. He's North of Aberdeen. I'm not.
He likes whisky. He likes whisky a great deal. Is it worth getting a case down here, or is the price in Scotland not really that much different?

I would have thought with the minimal pricing laws in Scotland, booze would on average be cheaper down south? Might just be shite like beer and cider that's dearer here.

DSJ

LE
If you have the time and know what you are looking for, trying something like scotchwhiskyauctions.com

Might get a good bargain.

Try Penderyn whisky.

Actually, thinking about it properly, if you are buying a decent whisky, it won’t make any difference whether you buy it in Scotland or England. If it is cheap enough to trigger the MPA, it will be shit anyway.

Chef

LE
A nice bottle of Bushmills perhaps?

Buy him English Whisky, Roudham near Thetford. aka St George's

Web site down, but press coverage as recently as Feb. Small casks available
I suppose it depends on whether he wants to inherit the old boy’s estate, or watch it be donated to the dog home.

philc

LE
Going to see my Daddy next week. Not seen him for 18 months. He's North of Aberdeen. I'm not.
He likes whisky. He likes whisky a great deal. Is it worth getting a case down here, or is the price in Scotland not really that much different?

No idea your personal circumstances however Aberdeen I recommend this, the 12 year old is just yummy.

Its the most easterly and 17 miles from Aberdeen. 3 Any son of mine that turned up with a bottle would be welcome.

Try Penderyn whisky.

My good lord no. I’m not into whisky, but even I know the only good thing to come out of Wales is the M4.

Aberdeenshire resident here - all big local supermarkets (Tesco, ASDA, etc) have a great selection and they normally have 5-6 of the mainstream single malts on special at any given time - usually about 20% off RRP.

For a treat, and if able, take your Dad shopping to Costcutter Dufftown - really good selection, lots of obscure stuff.

If he is north of Aberdeen and likes whisky, he will know where the good stuff is and what price you should pay for it. There are a few obscure and unusual places where good and unusual whisky can be bought for those that know, like the Buccaneer garage in Elgin.
My advice is to bring some cash and take your Dad shopping.

Last edited:
If he is north of Aberdeen and likes whisky, he will know where the good stuff is and what price you should pay for it. There are a few obscure and unusual places where good and unusual whisky can be bought, for those that know, like the Bucaneer garage in Elgin.
Very wise advice.

I would have thought with the minimal pricing laws in Scotland, booze would on average be cheaper down south? Might just be shite like beer and cider that's dearer here.
Minimum pricing does not effect decent whisky, as it was already more than 50p per unit of alcohol anyway.
Incidently so was Buckfast tonic wine!

If he is north of Aberdeen and likes whisky, he will know where the good stuff is and what price you should pay for it. There are a few obscure and unusual places where good and unusual whisky can be bought for those that know, like the Buccaneer garage in Elgin.
Excellent idea! A reversal of roles from going to the toyshop (especially as you can both enjoy the plunder!)

He's 92 and has dementia. He's not left his house for three years. He's terrified of being taken to a care home and not coming home.
So shopping trips are not possible. I was just wondering about the minimum pricing thing was all.
As for the quality of the whisky that's not really an issue. I think he just likes the smell of it.

Chef

LE
He's 92 and has dementia. He's not left his house for three years. He's terrified of being taken to a care home and not coming home.
So shopping trips are not possible. I was just wondering about the minimum pricing thing was all.
As for the quality of the whisky that's not really an issue. I think he just likes the smell of it.
That being the case perhaps a selection of miniatures would fit the bill. There used to be a shop in one of the London Underground concourses that had hundreds of different brands.

Latest Threads