Taking the Missus shooting

Hi all,

I’m taking the Mrs shooting for the first time. We’re off to Bisley clay shooting range; I’ve only ever fired pump action shotguns, and not at clays - any tips I can use to make sure that she doesn’t beat me first time (as I won’t live it down)?

Also, what’s the range like there? I’ve shot on the rifle ranges a long time ago when serving, but can’t even remember seeing where the clays are.

Prepare to be beaten.

I have had many rides home from the range & competitions where I was very quiet after getting beat by my missus at what I though was my own game.

Lots of ladies have left eye dominance which can be a great advantage to you....insist she keeps both eyes open and you'll be fine and almost assured to beat her.

Went on one recently, great day out.......... my daughters humiliated me.

They got better than 50%

My instructor was almost in tears, don't think he reckoned I could hit a clay hippo

If she's better than you, be magnanimous in defeat & praise her efforts.
That way you're in with the chance of a commiserative shag. :mrgreen:

Do not whatever you do mention "beginners' luck" else it'll be cold baked beans for tea & the couch for a bed.

Follow the arc of the clay with the front bead, get in front of the clay, pull trigger.

Mrs Funbaby is a better pistol shot than me.

Bit like the day I took my Ex to my range to have a go on my .303. The bitch proceeded to shoot like a demon and then have all the other members let her have a go with their bang sticks, dirty old sods! :rolleyes:

I think you can see where this is going from the above posts ...you will get beaten .Best come up with your reasons for losing now

Look on the bright side, if she is any good she may want to take it up.
Then when you want to go shooting or buying gear she won't complain, well not as much anyway.

I took my mum shooting once, in a disused quarry with single red apples as targets, We used an M16. She had never shot a weapon before. With her first shots, she blew the apples away like a trained marksman. The range was about 15-20 meters.

With the caveat I am old and this may not be true ,I was told a story of Queen Victoria.
The story goes someone was trying to sell the British army his design of rifled barrel having worked out the best twist rate .His demonstration was to put old Queen vic up against the best shot the army had. The Queen using the new design beating the issue rifle .The British army as forward thinking as always refuse the much improved barrel ............ MAY NOT BE TRUE

With the caveat I am old and this may not be true ,I was told a story of Queen Victoria.
The story goes someone was trying to sell the British army his design of rifled barrel having worked out the best twist rate .His demonstration was to put old Queen vic up against the best shot the army had. The Queen using the new design beating the issue rifle .The British army as forward thinking as always refuse the much improved barrel ............ MAY NOT BE TRUE
Seems unlikely since Queen V opened a shooting competition in 1860 with an ingeniously pre aimed, fixed in place and weighed down Whitworth rifle.
Apparently, although superior in performance to the Enfield of that time, the British government rejected it because the barrel ws prone to fouling and the production cost four times that of the Enfield.

shooting_rifle_0086.jpg
DSC_0868.jpg

Last edited: