Taking the Blood of Butterflies

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Butterflies, Sep 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TAKING THE BLOOD OF BUTTERFLIES by Sean Burn is a new play which is being produced by the theatre company Weaver Hughes Ensemble, of which I am one of the artistic directors.

The play is set in a war torn country. Here, a mother, her daughter and a peacekeeping force struggle to survive. Under siege and numbed by war, the soldiers are slowly slipping into madness. Sean Burn’s poetic play explores the effect that war has on the mind and soul when they are exposed daily to horror and conflict.

Weaver Hughes Ensemble is supporting COMBAT STRESS throughout the next few months, and we will be promoting and fundarising for this organisation.

This production is running at Oval House Theatre from 24th October to 11th November 2006, Tuesday to Saturday at 7.45pm. Tickets are £12.00 and £6.00 and can be booked on 020 7582 7680 or by visiting Oval House

Please visit our website Weaver Hughes Ensemble for more information on the play and the theatre company.
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

3. Below is a few responses from audience members who have seen the show.

If you come to see, I would love to hear your views on the piece:

“A moving and evocative piece giving a raw and acute observation of the effect upon both military and civilians during war torn occupation. Although at times brutal dignity and hope filter through. Set and lighting design created exactly the right atmosphere. Fine ensemble acting and direction. Albeit sometimes an uncomfortable watch this is a poignant piece of thought provoking theatre worth seeing.” Jan Hirst, (London), 1st November 2006

“An excellent performance from all, especially the US General. There are moments of silence, but they are not uncomfortable. I'm not entirely sure if I got the author's meanings but the sense of insanity and desperation of peace-keeping corps was portrayed to me. A very enjoyable experience.” Simon Davies, (Oxford, England), 31st October 2006

“A gentle, moving look at who the real casualties of war are away from the front-line, as the lives of both soldiers and prisoners alike seem to reverse - their worlds and minds slowly unravelling amidst the mayhem. A strong performance by Annabelle Capper.” Anonymous Audience Member, (London, England), 1st November 2006

“This is not just another play about the war on Iraq or another commentary piece of the political battle East and West are embroiled in. It is a sensitive look at how soldiers are sent into negotiate peacefully among civilians and how their presence does more damage than good. The effects of war takes it's toil out on everyone including the very essence, represented here by mother and daughter bound to a country caught in a never ending war. I left the auditorium quiet and thoughtful as did the rest of the audience, it had moved me internally; not many plays have that affect.” Maria Ferran, (London), 30th October 2006

TAKING THE BLOOD OF BUTTERFLIES is at the Oval House until the 11th Nov, Tues to Sat at 7.45pm
  4. I haven't seen this play but reading the blurb I wish just for once these 'luvvies' got a grip and just for once - shut the feck up. They have no idea and until they get into a real situation where life and death really matters. Then again living in London and having to commute perhaps they do!!!!
  5. I think the main point here is that vital funds and awareness have been raised via this play for Combat Stress, who desperately need this support.
  6. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Probably worth reiterating our long standing offer to any genuine forces charity ..... we are very keen to help you with your publicity and will offer free advertising on here. We get 6-7 million hits per month and have over 20k register users so that is a great way to get your message across. If you are interested please drop us an email at admin@arrse.co.uk