Taking small arms home on leave WW2

So did troops take their weapons home during WW2, What happend when they came off the troop ships/those recovered from Dunkirk that side had weapons etc and went on leave directly rifes taken off them and loaded onto vehicles and re-issued location once returning off leave? Looking at some old footage it looks like some took weapons home and might explain why lee enfields etc found in lofts etc.

Was it side arms and rifles only if this was the case.

Reason I ask as my great uncle told me a story about his older brother who was a section cmdr in a Scots unit and his best mate was subject to a bad beating and on finding out used a sten to take out the top shelf of the pup the perparators owned, Might seem a bit far fetched but knowing our lot it's more than likey true!

So did troops take their weapons home during WW2, What happend when they came off the troop ships/those recovered from Dunkirk that side had weapons etc and went on leave directly rifes taken off them and loaded onto vehicles and re-issued location once returning off leave? Looking at some old footage it looks like some took weapons home and might explain why lee enfields etc found in lofts etc.

Reason I ask as my great uncle told me a story about his older brother who was a section cmdr in a Scots unit and his best mate was subject to a bad beating and on finding out used a sten to take out the top shelf of the pup the perparators owned, Might seem a bit far fetched but knowing our lot it's more than likey true!

Bit of a cvnt if you’re the section gunner and it’s a Lewis gun :)

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don't start those Yorkshire types are going to come out with eh luxuary that I had to take HMS Ark Royal 'ome on my back and climb 20 flights of stairs up the street

eee stairs, we used to dream of 'aving stairs'

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't start those Yorkshire types are going to come out with eh luxuary that I had to take HMS Ark Royal 'ome on my back and climb 20 flights of stairs up the street
HMS Ark Royal? bloody luxury! we 'ad HMS Warspite 't carry 'ome, dint 'ave any stairs, just 'eld on 't bare bricks wiv us fingernails - and we wer lucky!

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
... and another thread ruined,

no need to thank me

War Hero
My late father mentioned at one time returning home from North Africa and throwing his rifle into the "coal hole" until he returned from leave. He was not a volunteer soldier.

However he did mention that it was his first time on a cruise ship. But he thought the zig-zagging across the Bay of Biscay to dodge the U-boats took away from the ship board experience he enjoyed in later life.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

I’ve recovered quite a bit of SAA and HE grenades from old buildings be renovated or torn down. Primarily in Scotland.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve recovered quite a bit of SAA and HE grenades from old buildings be renovated or torn down. Primarily in Scotland.
Don't the Swiss National Service conscripts get to take their weapons home? especially to little-known swiss german villages? maybe that's why the suicide rates are so high. If only there was someone with relevant experience we could ask....

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
James was a small hard little east end Glasgow type him and my uncle that told me the story had a fall out at the scrap yard they joint owned and wear knocking lumps out of each other for 2 days only stopped when one had a mini engine block in their hands ready to drop it on the other.

Was supposed to get the DCM for bravery but got another type of DCM for busting out a field hospital with some others in Belguim "aquiring" a Bren carrier and ram raiding a barn with wine in it and getting pissed and over turning the Bren carrier on the way back

I have read that certainly in the first years, troops would take their personal weapon home. Mainly due to the threat of invasion but without ammo, so sort of defeating the point.

James was a small hard little east end Glasgow type him and my uncle that told me the story had a fall out at the scrap yard they joint owned and wear knocking lumps out of each other for 2 days only stopped when one had a mini engine block in their hands ready to drop it on the other.

Was supposed to get the DCM for bravery but got another type of DCM for busting out a field hospital with some others in Belguim "aquiring" a Bren carrier and ram raiding a barn with wine in it and getting pissed and over turning the Bren carrier on the way back

Well what a dïckhead. If he’d not had to fill out the FMT3, it’d all have been OK :)

Don't the Swiss National Service conscripts get to take their weapons home? especially to little-known swiss german villages? maybe that's why the suicide rates are so high. If only there was someone with relevant experience we could ask....
I don't know about while serving, but at the end of his NS, Swiss conscripts were allowed to buy their service rifle, albeit converted to semi auto only. Don't quote me on that, though.

War Hero
I think that would mainly have been Home Guard use.

In early 1980's in NI a UDR base in a sizeable old house that had been taken over at the start of the troubles was being vacated and sold off. The search team checked the place thoroughly and I signed off the FFE certificate. House duly sold off and renovations start.

A few weeks afterwards I am called to the Ops Room to explain myself as the ATO task is called in as builders have discovered a sizeable ammo cache! Fortunately it was as they broke down a wall and found a secret cupboard with a stash of WW2 date stamped ammo in a hideaway that had been plastered over. Probably in preparation for an invasion.

Latest Threads