Taking PT as an LE(ex PTI)

Evening,

Just a curiosity question. If an in date (AR) PTI gets an LE commission can they still lead on taking PT if their PTI qual is in date? It’s not into the RAPTC, I’d be remaining in the same Corps.
Fitness can be poor enough in the reserves without a sqn “losing” it’s PTI.

Evening,

Just a curiosity question. If an in date (AR) PTI gets an LE commission can they still lead on taking PT if their PTI qual is in date? It’s not into the RAPTC, I’d be remaining in the same Corps.
Fitness can be poor enough in the reserves without a sqn “losing” it’s PTI.
er?.......No , have cake but can't eat ....you should have known/thought of that, you fat RLC Biff

(Caveat this info is about 10 years old) but then then official line was that PTI Quals lapsed immediately on commissioning (other than RAPTC) so no. However in this particular case a dispensation was granted to that individual on a 'one off basis' to carry on as there was a particular need.

Thanks. That’s what I thought was the case(I notice your 10yr caveat), but then I deployed with a Capt from the Rifles who was AAPTI who was under the impression he could lead, but not test. Normally I’d ask
Brigade Q or check regs, but that won’t be possible for a few months.

Thanks again.

Why would you want to do that?
Would an infantry/Guards RSM insist on instructing his men on drill after he was commissioned?

It's an easy trap to fall into after commissioning LE - sticking to skills you were good at pre-commissioning, rather than concentrating on learning your new job.

There was a time when junior officers were expected to lead the PT of their soldiers.. also run ranges and use pyrotechnics!

AFAIK if someone has the ability and the qualification to do a job, then they should do it. This smacks of Sgts Mess restrictive practices.. like the old RCT bollox of insisting all their officers hold all the relevant driving licences and then forbidding them to drive..

a load of Arrse IMHO... where does it say all quals evaporate on commissioning? If an officer wishes to lead an activity, and they are capable and qualified to do so and the CO is content, then frankly it is nobody else's business..!

Last edited:
There was a time when junior officers were expected to lead the PT of their soldiers.. also run ranges and use pyrotechnics!

AFAIK if someone has the ability and the qualification to do a job, then they should do it. This smacks of Sgts Mess restrictive practices.. like the old RCT bollox of insisting all their officers hold all the relevant driving licences and then forbidding them to drive..

a load of Arrse IMHO... where does it say all quals evaporate on commissioning? If an officer wishes to lead an activity, and they are capable and qualified to do so, then frankly it is nobody else's business..!
Very few officer "trades" and all based around Corps in various ways.
I thought apex of RCT would be master driver and WO level? no wah just want to find the historical facts on things.
Agree LE;s know a lot a YO will not.

DON'T get me started on Master Drivers!

just DON'T