taking prisoners - yank style.

I'm in work, could be the firewall. Is it worth the build up of excitement? The last one I watched was a Russian conscript getting his throat cut (thanks Mighty), and eventually his head cut off. Fcuked me up for days, and I thought I had the stomach for that sort of thing !!

I suppose the pertinent question might be "what's the agenda of the news agency (sic) that produced this, did it edit the footage/report to show a certain bias, and thus how reliable is it?"

I don't know the answer, but the question is worth asking.

sad as it sounds they don't have to admit a bias!
all they have to do is use real footage and it's ok.
the way it's cut is up to the editor/director and thats it,
look at the footage from the jessica lynch thing:
bullsh1t though it may have been, the images are true as it all happened.
it was just spin gone mad, wag the dog/private ryan/U571 to bolster morale 'back home'

not the easiest of things to do but you have to try to judge the information recieved from different scources not just one.

just posted the link to militaryphotos.net
await the incoming
the yanks did'nt seem to be under fire so if the blokes down and not playing anymore why slot him?
I wait someone to claim he was a suicde bomber
the bone comment at the end got me even in my stupid youth I'd have a bit more sense than to be quoted by a reporter like that :(

I just managed to see this using the Realplayer version and it is fcuking terrifying.

Woopert, the day CNN is seen as having an agenda in the sense you meant I will eat my beret! Though there was some slightly dodgy editing in the interview with Cleetus the village idiot......

Not usually one to stick up for the yanks. However, this one video and especially the cheering can't be taken as proof on its own.
During the start of the move into Iraq, there was a piece of footage realeased of american forces trying to remove an enemy soldier from a house, with a Milan (or equivalent?), I have seen several versions of this. These vary completely and no doubt from the editing.
The "original" copy shows the first round fired completely miss the building, and at the firing point the yanks where cheering?? It was on the second round that the enemy was removed from the planet and as such the house.
The footage used on every news report was edited to show a one shot contact, where the soldiers cheered on the impact.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Woopert, the day CNN is seen as having an agenda in the sense you meant I will eat my beret!
The source as such wasn't CNN but another agency on the web, so it's possible that the footage was edited for effect. It's also possible that it wasn't. What I am suggesting is viewing with a critical eye, not a criticism of CNN who I agree are on the whole reasonably well balanced in their reporting.

woopert said:
not a criticism of CNN who I agree are on the whole reasonably well balanced in their reporting.
Provided you want a neo-conservative, gun toting, Bush-arse-licking, US-centric view of the world....

I've just viewed this. Two sides to the coin. Was there a firefight before hand? Was this a lone gunman, complete with explosives strapped to his body, etc, etc? This is a snippet of what actually happened, so no one here can judge the yanks for cheering until you know just what is actually going on.

I've seen the clip and agree, the editing could do a lot for the way it looks. You can't see anyone cheering so it could just be a sound edit. You also can't tell the context of Cletus's comments, he could have just been comenting on what it felt like to be in a fire fight, who knows.

Having said that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was what happened, the spam's seem to be in a mind frame of not giving a flying f**k what anyone else in the world thinks of what they are doing and after months of loosing guys every day who knows if they care about taking prisoners.

Maybe I'm just a victim of somebody's propoganda?

Have to agree/disagree with several comments....
Feck, I think it may well have been edited, although perhaps not for effect. The whole story is not visible, and as such we have no idea of the situation.
The guy on the ground, I assume, posed some sort of initial threat to have been engaged in the first place.
However the cameraman and American troops appear to be behind a wall. Where did the shoot come from? Again bias on the angle.
The end interview has visible edit lines, and as such is totally unreliable as fact.
El-P, while CNN are not pro-anything, they are still a money marking entity, the war is big business in America. Although not totally slated by anyone they are not one of the Free News Sources being relied upon by the liberal body for accurate information this time round.
Wooper, totally agree very relevant question. Would be interested if you ever hear the answer. Although I doubt there will be one.
MSR, war is war, charged for what? If the guy was a human bomb whit a trigger in hand who can prove he didn't pose a threat to all around him? If he wasn't would you tell me the men who walk into battle with you? I'm a civilian and I know when the sh*t hits the fan I stand fast and point no fingers.
PP, yes. It would smack of stress related killing in many ways. Very common in Vietnam, and the age grouping is a high risk factor, judging by the 'kid' at the end, it would fit.

Sorry Soap Box Again......

V

vespa

read the comments under the film , i think a lot of them are saying pretty much the same thing , i do feel there is slight bias going on , what if the iraqi was shooting at the yanks only seconds before ?

Latest Threads