taking prisoners - yank style.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by quiller, Dec 11, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Boooooo, it's not working !!
  2. works for me. try to update your player.
  3. I'm in work, could be the firewall. Is it worth the build up of excitement? The last one I watched was a Russian conscript getting his throat cut (thanks Mighty), and eventually his head cut off. Fcuked me up for days, and I thought I had the stomach for that sort of thing !!
  4. i didn't think of it as an incite to excitement at all. it just shows some unarmed bloke being shot while the yanks cheer.
  5. msr

msr LE

If this is true, I really hope several people get charged over this.

6. Excitement is probably the wrong word.
  7. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

I suppose the pertinent question might be "what's the agenda of the news agency (sic) that produced this, did it edit the footage/report to show a certain bias, and thus how reliable is it?"

I don't know the answer, but the question is worth asking.
  8. sad as it sounds they don't have to admit a bias!
    all they have to do is use real footage and it's ok.
    the way it's cut is up to the editor/director and thats it,
    look at the footage from the jessica lynch thing:
    bullsh1t though it may have been, the images are true as it all happened.
    it was just spin gone mad, wag the dog/private ryan/U571 to bolster morale 'back home'

not the easiest of things to do but you have to try to judge the information recieved from different scources not just one.
  9. just posted the link to militaryphotos.net
    await the incoming
    the yanks did'nt seem to be under fire so if the blokes down and not playing anymore why slot him?
    I wait someone to claim he was a suicde bomber
    the bone comment at the end got me even in my stupid youth I'd have a bit more sense than to be quoted by a reporter like that :(
  10. I just managed to see this using the Realplayer version and it is fcuking terrifying.

Woopert, the day CNN is seen as having an agenda in the sense you meant I will eat my beret! Though there was some slightly dodgy editing in the interview with Cleetus the village idiot......
  11. Not usually one to stick up for the yanks. However, this one video and especially the cheering can't be taken as proof on its own.
    During the start of the move into Iraq, there was a piece of footage realeased of american forces trying to remove an enemy soldier from a house, with a Milan (or equivalent?), I have seen several versions of this. These vary completely and no doubt from the editing.
    The "original" copy shows the first round fired completely miss the building, and at the firing point the yanks where cheering?? It was on the second round that the enemy was removed from the planet and as such the house.
    The footage used on every news report was edited to show a one shot contact, where the soldiers cheered on the impact.
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
  12. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

The source as such wasn't CNN but another agency on the web, so it's possible that the footage was edited for effect. It's also possible that it wasn't. What I am suggesting is viewing with a critical eye, not a criticism of CNN who I agree are on the whole reasonably well balanced in their reporting.
  13. msr

msr LE

Provided you want a neo-conservative, gun toting, Bush-arse-licking, US-centric view of the world....
  14. Its edited to ****! How can anyone get a clear idea of whats going on there?!