taking pictures/phone use in the army

can someone give me a rundown on when you can and can’t use your phones, in either phase. because I see lots of people taking photos these days.

I wouldn’t take my phone to the assement test, but what about phase 1/2? alongside the reserves, do people tend to take them to the weekend trainings? at least the first ones.

plus has anyone ever taken a camera to any of these or are they allowed? when I join the army I’m going to buy a new phone, so knowing this would be great.

Thanks.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ask your unit what their policy is , that is the key bit not what we think. It never hurts to be seen as a careful soldier who thinks in advance

I’m not sure about you but I don’t think the purpose of basic training is to navel gaze and gain instagram followers regardless of being allowed to or not.

I’m happy to stand corrected, though.

Long before camera phones existed, I always carried a 35mm camera on me, and timing it correctly, got some wonderful pictures on exercises, secondments overseas, on the ranges, and around the barracks. My two photo albums chronicle my time in UK, BAOR, Norway, Sardinia, and many other countries, nobody questioned me, they assumed I had permission, or was the official regimental photographer. Today 47 years on, with tensions at breaking point, and the ability to transmit pictures around the world in seconds, and the enemy, whoever they may be, to intercept those photos and, the spoken word, and to DF the caller to within 10 Mtrs the brass will take a dim view of any serviceman using his smart phone on, exercise or around the barracks.

very interesting. what about regards to taking a phone? as much as people think you just wanna pose and post em on insta, I wanna make an album and show my kids one day!

very interesting. what about regards to taking a phone? as much as people think you just wanna pose and post em on insta, I wanna make an album and show my kids one day!

Exactly my reasoning. Now Today, my grandchildren ask me " What did you do in the army granddad?" I can show them the photos, the collected documents, papers and all the other military gubbins collected and stashed away for just this moment, although my two sons said when I cark it, apart from my red book, I also have my fathers discharge papers from the war, and many artefacts and papers from my grandfathers first war service. and photo albums, all the rest gets skipped........ its an old fart thing!

I can understand when in combat, but I’m curious about basic training and overseas tests or whatever the sort! and exactly!

First off , use the "reply " icon, this gets the text you want to comment on in the same frame as your answer. As for taking photographs on overseas exercises, today I don't know what he rules are, and in training, you won't have much spare time to do anything more that study, and keep your kit clean. Overseas postings will to some extent give you the opertunity for photographing your surroundings, access the photo threads.

During phase 1 training you will be restricted on your phone’s use, this is more to do with concentration and paying attention to what you are being taught than anything else. Your phone, dependant on which training regiment you go to, will be secured during the working day, but returned to you in the evening so you can ring home, catch up on emails and post pics of yourself on Instagram.
During phase 2, again dependant on regiment/corps you will be continuing your training with, will have rules around phone use, it will depend on the type of training and whether the instructors are happy for you to have your phone.
My advice is take your phone, buy a new phone if you wish, but expect to spend long periods without it, especially during phase 1. Take opportunities, when they arise, to capture memories, but don’t take the p*ss, you’ll probably be too knackered most of the time to worry about it anyway.
Remember though, life in the Army is totally different to phase 1 & 2 and they are a very small part of your career, easily forgotten about when you join the field force.

Ask Sgt. Blackman RM as to his opinion on cameras on the battlefield ..........

JNM

Old-Salt
Depends. You’re given talks about what you can post and shit on social media.

When you’re allowed to use it is dependant on who’s running the troop/section and how well you’re doing. They can give you them for 30 mins at night and take them back or leave you with them and you’re only allowed to use them in you’re own time.

During phase 1 training you will be restricted on your phone’s use, this is more to do with concentration and paying attention to what you are being taught than anything else. Your phone, dependant on which training regiment you go to, will be secured during the working day, but returned to you in the evening so you can ring home, catch up on emails and post pics of yourself on Instagram.
During phase 2, again dependant on regiment/corps you will be continuing your training with, will have rules around phone use, it will depend on the type of training and whether the instructors are happy for you to have your phone.
My advice is take your phone, buy a new phone if you wish, but expect to spend long periods without it, especially during phase 1. Take opportunities, when they arise, to capture memories, but don’t take the p*ss, you’ll probably be too knackered most of the time to worry about it anyway.
Remember though, life in the Army is totally different to phase 1 & 2 and they are a very small part of your career, easily forgotten about when you join the field force.
I’ll take this as law! thank you, I assume you can use it whenever once you have your regiment?

I’ll take this as law! thank you, I assume you can use it whenever once you have your regiment?

Is your phone really so important to you? Honestly, it's the least of your worries.

Concentrate on getting through the application process, and getting yourself in shape before you start training.

There's a time and a place for everything, once you're in uniform you'll learn when it is, and when it isn't appropriate to use your phone.

once you’re with your regiment you are still subject to military law and the official secrets act, but because you are no longer in training you are expected to use your phone and it’s camera responsibly, the only time things may change is on operations, depending on the deployment, restrictions on phone use may come into force, this is due to a number of factors from preventing intelligence gathering by an enemy, to preventing relatives of deceased or injured soldiers finding out through non-official channels.
Once you are with your unit it will be made very clear to you when you can and cannot use your phone, but on the whole during normal peace time conditions you will have few restrictions placed on you.

It was a privately owned headcam in that case, not a mobile phone.
Both take pictures that can drop you right in it..................
Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.33.51.png