Taking Over a Platoon/Detachment

Discussion in 'ACF' started by dwills, Jul 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone have a check list or pointers etc when taking over a Det/Pl

I have only visited the Det/Pl once and it's the sort that's struggling, but the potential (location, facilities, catchment area) fantastic :)

Looked in the ACF manual, nothing about taking over, or did I miss it.

2. 1. Before you sign for the det make sure all the kit is there. If you sign and then find that its gone its your fault.

2. Ensure the accounts are up to date before signing them, otherwise you will spend weeks searching/forging receipts.

3. Adddress the whole of the parade at the end of the night, tell them that you intend to carry on with some things the previous det commander did and there may be some changes as time goes on.

4. First full night hold a detachment meeting get your NCO's to ask the cadets about possible improvements and changes.

5. Ask the last DC about specific routines. i.e. Duty NCO, naffi bitch how subs are collected and who the cadet storeman is. You can guarantee they will try and change things without telling you.

6. KEEP YOUR 2IC IN THE LOOP. They will be your greatest help if you let them over the next few weeks.

7. Dont be too friendly you dont want them to take the micheal.
  3. Don't knock Flamingo or Machiavelli!

If you lack a sense of humour you have taken the wrong job, get out now ! :)

The lessons from Machiavelli are:

If you set out to be Mr Liked, your Detachment will be a heap of smoking ordure in six months.

If you set out to be Mr Hated, the same.

Just do the job fairly, squarely and professionally and you stand a chance of success.

OK Machiavelli isn't on the PC reading list, but it doesn't mean he didn't write some sense!
  4. Shoulda watched 'The Damned United' last night - about what happens when trying to take over a football team stuck in the ways of their previous manager; and yourself being too obnoxious and Mr Hated.
  5. If I may add my 2 farthings (or whatever Euro money applies), set the example. That IMHO is the key--your subordinates will watch everything you say, do, wear, etc. even when you think they are not and (if you earn it) will respect who you are and what you do much more than what you say. Being a military leader is, as they say, a 24/7/365 endeavor and the emphasis is on the word "being" as opposed to playing a role. Your subordinates need to know without a doubt that second only to mission accomplishment, you put their well-being (and this is all-encompassing-physical, mental, AND moral/ethical) next-ahead of your creature comforts, career, personal life etc.

A military leader can demand obedience but must earn (every day) respect through your professionalism (knowing not only your job but each of theirs) and your loyalty to them.
  6. Try reading it, it's the original management manual, and still one of the best (despite it's reputation).

I referenced it considerably on essays for a management module I was doing a few years ago (mainly as a wind-up to the proto-social worker that was running the course), and on closer study of it I found it a remarkably pertinent piece of work, if you have the imagination to bring it up-to-date. Wound her up no end as well, as I could use it to justify most of the techniques she was describing as well!
    Best of luck with it, anyway, I am full of admiration for people who volunteer for things like the ACF in the current climate, it's really good to see you are prepared to give up your time to help others!
  7. With respect, I think there needs to be a distinction between "leadership" (people) and "management." (processes, systems and things).
  8. Or put another way, a good leader manages to keep his people ,his people by managing to be a good leader !!
  9. talk to the most senior cadet nco at the det and ask him what he would like to see is different. and then ask him to ask the cadets.

and then ask the cadets yourself