Taking my dog camping

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Hexitele, Jan 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of all I used the search function so those nazi's who feel the urge to point out the Kennel Club thread can **** off.

Now where was I?

I'm taking my Lab cross camping next month. He'll be approx 9 months old so won't be carrying his own bergan yet.

Any Arrsers with experience of sharing a basha with their mutt? Do I need to get him a doss bag? Should I keep him in the tent or the admin area? (No danger of him running off, the shithouse is scared of carrier bags). Are they any good at harbour routine (Setting up track plan etc?)

I know this is a shit thread but I'd rather not kill him on our first camping trip.

2. Never mind camping, take him cottaging instead, some shabby old chutney will get a wet and wooly glory hole thrill, until you shout "fetch the ball!" that is.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Attach the mutt to a tree a couple of metres away, he'll be fine, especially if he can see you akip in your basha. He'll soon lear what "shaddup" means.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Check your PM's (private messages) Hexy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hexi, you're haven't quite grasped the principle of dogging, have you?

• Like Like x 5
  6. Stan Collymore was supposed to be giving me 2 40min periods on it but was sick so Ceaser Milan boxed me off. Sounds straight forward and I practiced on a dead cat a few times.

7. I camp in a family tent nowadays with the kids. The dog kips in a travel pod. I am able to close off our sleeping area from the bit of the tent with the mutt in. Which is just as well or I'd wake up with a cold wet nose in my fizzog at regular intervals. Other than that, nowt to report. We all eat outside the tent, so does the dog, and I have one of those long leashes attached to a ground spike to anchor her to when we are hanging around the tent.

8. On a serious note though is the dog going to die?

If he is I'll probably not take him but I reckon other than the dying he'd enjoy it. He likes being outside and sheep shit so I figured camping would be a win, win.

9. Cheers for the input mate. Dog pod sounds a bit bulky for my day sack though. I was thinking of letting him have a blanket... and a small one too.

10. Labs are notorious fat *****, exercise and a very strict diet does them good. Let him snuggle up to you sleeping, they appreciate it, and you keep warmer. Win win.

Bonding gets stronger too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lets just suppose I think he's a bit of a prick though.

As in can't sit still. Would a doss bag and tethering to the floor cut it as long as he had OHP?

12. Let the fecker carry it Kurgo 00028 Wander Pack Dog Backpack

13. Try Equafleece.

Dries the dog quickly & keeps them warm. Seen an increasing number of people using them on their dogs after shooting. Good things and won't take up space.

Fleece Coats, Dog Coats, Dog Jumpers, Horse Coats - Equafleece

• Like Like x 1
  14. Labs dont fidget, they sleep, and sleep and sleep,whenever they can.

15. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I often take the dog with me camping. The combo of a pop-up tent, an inflatable mattress and a good doss bag for me and a 15 quid Tescos doss bag for the dog works very well.

• Like Like x 2