Taking laser pointers out of the US

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by viceroy, Feb 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,

I am about to send off an order for some stuff from Opsgear.com. There are a couple of laser pointers I want to order and bring back in my checked luggage. I have checked with the vendor who confirmed that this particular item does not have any export restrictions. Vendor did mention though that I should check on the TSA website as exporting by mail may have different restrictions from exporting physically in a suitcase when passing through an airport. Good point, I checked the TSA website: TSA: Prohibited Items

Nothing mentioned in terms of laser, anyone got any experience? This is only to be sure there is no issue when leaving the US, I am aware of restrictions entering different European countries.

2. There you go then........

3. Does it have a shark attached to it?

4. I doubt there will be any issues but you are wise to research carefully.

What sort of laser pointer are we talking about? From a safety point of view there should be no issue as long as the batteries are not in and they are in your hold luggage. I cannot see any safety reason why they should not be mailable either. The issue would be export restrictions if they are considered to be military technology.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Probably a good idea to take it off the AR-15, then you will just be at the mercy of the airport muppets.

(P.S. Print out and take with you any regulations you can find).

6. Only time I've ever had problems was Dublin Airport - they didn't like it in hand baggage - and mine is just on the borderlines of UK legal. Although I did get trained as a Laser Safety Officer a long time ago ... TSA / USA has never been a problem (in that limited context.)

7. ...or in my case the Sig550/551

Thanks, that is a good idea, will print out the the list of prohibited items. The thing is that the missus is going to NY on business and I REALLY do not want her to get into trouble over this. It is a couple of these babies Picatinny Mount Tactical Laser and really not worth while getting hassled over by the TSA muppets. I could have it shipped directly, but shipping costs a bomb, so the idea was to send it to a friend of ours and take it back in a suitcase (checked).

8. The problem comes when an airline official asks "has anyone asked you to carry anything on board for them"

To which your nearest and dearest replies "Only this frickin' laser beam thing for my hubby's assault rifle!"

Of course, the correct reply would be that it's a gift of sporting goods!

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Its fairly anonymous - especially if you get her to take it out of the packaging (keep that in another bag or bin it) and remove batteries. Anything that even hints at "may be a part of or fitted to a firearm" is a potential headache.
    Portable CD players have a laser.....

End of the day it would not be a catastrophe if they did not make it....

10. How much do they want for shipping?

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Its not just the shipping, its also import duty - which is government licensed theft when it comes to small individual items that they know is not worth your trouble to argue about.

12. Unless the pound has taken a nosedive, i shouldn't think his $24 sight should exceed the £18 threshold...

Agree about govt theft though - my parents had to pay to recieve the Christmas presents I sent them: £40 limit per gift FFS! :-(

Edited to add - current HMRC approved exchange rate for Feb 2011 is 1.5984, which puts £18 at $28.77!

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

He is bringing in 2....

I imported an English antique bayonet from Canada which cost me 80 quid - paid 67 more in post and duty :-(

I have also fallen foul of "special" duty - steel for example, and optics. 2 sets of steel bands for diving tanks (an odd imperial size) cost me 90$ US, but because of the steel pissing contest between the US and Europe I had to pay 97 quid in duty!!!!!!!!!

14. Shipping is 50 bucks. Its free within the US. Don't get me started on duty and VAT, its a ******* rip off. I ordered it now for domestic delivery. Mind you, they might still make her(-me) pay upon landing in the old world if caught... If only European retailers did not have such inflated prices and so little selection...

15. I ordered one for my Glock via ebay.com, good as gold, no packdrill!