Taking car to Cyprus

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by fabvab, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

We are being posted to Cyprus from NI. We are trying to decide if we should take our car with us, or sell it and buy one there.

Can anyone give some advice on how much it costs to take the car, or if we are better of selling it?

Thanks

2. To be honest, id sell it. How long are you out there for??

3. We were there 2002/04 - Was cheap to return the car but not to bring it.

The state of the drivers and most roads will take its toll on the car.

Also, when I brought the car back from cyprus a brand new megane at the time to NI most of the rubber seals on the windows etc shrank with the difference in temp (so the dealer said) but it was believable.

Its upto you but looking at it now I would not advise it.

4. samm1551

samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

http://www.bfccll.com/

I was looking for the same thing today and found this. Going to cost about 4k to take my 7 year old car to Cyprus, so for sale it will be.

Hope it helps, if not sorry.

Sam x

5. Don't take a car to Cyprus.

Just look for a car when you get there.

6. we are going to be there for about 2 1/2yrs. thank you for all your replies, great help.

7. Just done some Googling for you.

Grimaldi Cruises: http://www.cruisecyprus.com/grimaldi_itineraries_and_prices.htm

Southampton to Limassol from Eur 2100 for two persons and car up to 5m long - 13-18 days
    via Salerno, Piraeus, Izmir, Alexandria

Cork - Limassol from Eur 2410 for two persons and car up to 5m long - 17-23 days
    additionally via Esbjerg,Wallhamn, Antwerp, Southampton

A condition is that the Registered Keeper has to travel with the vehicle.

Also..... the site hasn't been updated for about 9 months, so it's possible that the service isn't still running or the prices have changed..., though the timetables are detailed up to August.