Taking a sabatical from the Army

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by steb4life, Sep 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard somewhere that you can take up to a Years leave (unpaid) from the Army. i would just like to ask some of you wonderful AGC types a few questions about it as my unit don't seem to know anything about it. here are the Q's

1. Does this actually exist?
    2. Do you have to take it all at once
    3. Would your posting be extended to incorporate the time you took off?
    4. What is the DIN/DCI that has all the Info?

Thanks for any help on this matter!!

Ste

2. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

I think it comes under the acronym 'AWOL' and details can be found, with examples, in the Manual of Military Law. :wink:

3. I know it exists as a few I have worked with have been on it for either professional or family reasons, if your AGC look blank, well blanker than usual it is worth a try contacting another unit or try Army net.

4. They did look at me blankly, though mentioned something about having to write a letter to the CO but they didn't have any other details. Surely there must be some old sweats who known about all this kind of stuff. We have tonnes of geeks in our corps who can quote manuals down to the line number - Or is that just confined to our little corner of this great Army?

Ste

5. Are you sure your not confusing the police year off policy ?

6. Try looking out for the parental (paternal) type leave.

Around the birth of our second child I was informed that I wasn't "entitled" to any time off as a right to look after child number one, but had to request paternal leave, during this leave period I would not be in receipt of Army pay, nor would I be paying tax or national insurance, these would have to be sorted by myself and the tax office. The time is also added to your service.

Hope this sheds a litle more light.

7. If my memory serves me correctly, it is called Leave Without Pay (LWOP). From what I remember it is, funnily enough, unpaid and only granted in very special circumstances. The example I remember, from back in my B3 clerk training, was going on one of these round the world expeditions. I cannot recall any references or how to apply, but my suggestion is try AGAIs.

8. Details can be found in 2005DIN02-084 "Terms and Conditions for Career Breaks for Members of the Regular Armed Forces". As you might expect Career Breaks are granted at the absolute discretion of the Service; they are not a right

Also, for shorter breaks, Periods of 93 days and less are covered by individual Service arrangements for (special) unpaid leave. Unpaid leave for more than 93 days is governed by CB rules.

9. Thank-You Paymistri!!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Our MCM SO2 (Soldiers) mentioned something about this last night so I knew it must exist somewhere.

Do you know if anyone has taken up the opportunity and anymore detail about it as I'm on leave at the moment so I can't go and ask my RAO about it.

Once again, thank you!!

10. You are welcome

I am afraid I don't know anyone who has taken up the offer, but I will have a look at the DIN on Monday and draft a quick summary for you.

11. Which means that if you are in the Infantry or anyone else strapped for troops going on ops....the answer will probably be no! Then again, you can but try,

12. I have just had an AAC officer (a pilot) from my unit go to America for a year on a sebatical. I know it took her a while for it to get authorised by MCM Div. She was also given some conditions on the grounds of it being granted. For the duration of her sebatical, she is 'Y' listed and being controlled by APC.

13. I also know of an AAC Officer who took a year out. This was because he was also a trained lawyer (or maybe in the final stages of law training) and i think he got it on the provision that it would eventually benefit the service.

14. There has been a recent DIN (Defence Instruction Notice - they have replaced DCI's) that give this information. Without being at work right now I cannot give you the exact DIN number, but I have read it with my own eyes this week infact. The basics are:

You can take up to 3 years off, not paid, not reconable service.

You have to give 8 months notice through your chain of command, there is a form to fill in within the DIN and eventually it goes up to APC Glasgow who make a decision.

You can be recalled by the Army or you can come back early, they or you have to give 8 months notice to come back.

It is called a "Career Break" and there is now a specific office in Glasgow that deals with this.

All pay and allowances such as boarding school allowance, RPOD, etc stops.

You are still eligible to use military med and dental centres and you keep hold of your MOD Form 90.

Sorry I cannot give you the exact DIN number, but I really have read it this week as it is something I am interested in mysef. I am away for a couple of weeks, if you can wait that long I can tell you the exact number then.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

15. There has been a recent DIN (Defence Instruction Notice - they have replaced DCI's) that give this information. Without being at work right now I cannot give you the exact DIN number, but I have read it with my own eyes this week infact. The basics are:

You can take up to 3 years off, not paid, not reconable service.

You have to give 8 months notice through your chain of command, there is a form to fill in within the DIN and eventually it goes up to APC Glasgow who make a decision.

You can be recalled by the Army or you can come back early, they or you have to give 8 months notice to come back.

It is called a "Career Break" and there is now a specific office in Glasgow that deals with this.

All pay and allowances such as boarding school allowance, RPOD, etc stops.

You are still eligible to use military med and dental centres and you keep hold of your MOD Form 90.

Sorry I cannot give you the exact DIN number, but I really have read it this week as it is something I am interested in mysef. I am away for a couple of weeks, if you can wait that long I can tell you the exact number then.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.