Taken a liking to shooting

#1
Good Morning Gentlemen,

I'd like to ask for your advice as regards taking my fondness for shooting beyond range practices at RMAS.

I've just passed my RMQs, and I've become very interested in the science behind shooting. Ideally, I'd like to have my own rifle, capable of a decent range, to use for leisure, outside of SA80.

I made a trip to my local gunshop today, who reccomended starting on a .22 and working my way up to a 7.62mm bolt action.

I have a few questions regarding this. I'd like your advice as to whether this is acceptable? It does seem a bit strange to drop from a 5.56mm military rifle to a .22 effective to under 100 yards?

Is it possible, or even legal, for me to own a Lee Enfield at some point in my shooting career? Or will the police deem it total overkill. I'd love to own one, not just for their performance, but for their history in the British Army.

Pray go easy on the newbie!

My thanks,

CrashDummy
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#2
Welcome, should you really be interested in shooting beyond the usual range work and even infantry field firing then long range work is one way of practising the skills needed to excell. walter Winans practiced both revolver and rifle daily and was a great shot, practising can be expensive so a .22 rf is a good way to get the basics right, a .22 at 200 yards is like a 7.62 at 1200 yards.
You will need an FAC and a club to be a member of so when you know where you are being posted to after Sandhurst then I would take it further!
 
#3
crashdummy said:
Is it possible, or even legal, for me to own a Lee Enfield at some point in my shooting career? Or will the police deem it total overkill. I'd love to own one, not just for their performance, but for their history in the British Army.
I have 7 Lee Enfield's currently and belong to this oraganisation:
http://www.lera.org.uk/news.php

So yes, you can (and hopefully will) own a LE and shoot it under one or other of the historic shooting clubs in the UK.
Ugly and myself both belong to the Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association which has a tendancy to open your eyes to all the other things which matter when it comes to small arms research regarding weapons used by the British Army (and others) from about the period when we started converting the 1853 Patt muzzle loader into a breechlaoder, sporting arms research are covered by the association as well.
 
#4
While on the subject, with regards to air rifles would I be better off splashing out slightly more cash (as well as obtaining a FAC) on a FAC air rifle rather then buying a neutered model.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#5
vampireuk said:
While on the subject, with regards to air rifles would I be better off splashing out slightly more cash (as well as obtaining a FAC) on a FAC air rifle rather then buying a neutered model.
Resale value of FAC air rifles is pretty poor, a good 12 ft lb will do out to where rimfire is needed.
 
#6
Thank you for your replies Ugly and HT.

To further complicate matters, I know that I'm being posted to Canada after I commission.

Shooting a LE at long range is something that fascinates me. It's a combination of the precision and skill of using a bolt action rifle effectively that gets me.

Another question that comes to mind is the Army's attitude to you using its ranges for your own enjoyment? As long as it doesn't interfere with training, is this possible? I'm still in the dark to the ways of the field Army outside of the academy.
 
B

BambiBasher

Guest
#7
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot. Add to that the relative difficulty of finding a range long enough to give you a regularly testing shoot, plus the fatugue of firing a heavy rifle like the .303, and a .22 would be a good investment.
 
#8
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot. Add to that the relative difficulty of finding a range long enough to give you a regularly testing shoot, plus the fatugue of firing a heavy rifle like the .303, and a .22 would be a good investment.
My bold.

Fatigue?
What are we becoming; a nation of poofs? :D
 
B

BambiBasher

Guest
#9
Henry_Tombs said:
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot. Add to that the relative difficulty of finding a range long enough to give you a regularly testing shoot, plus the fatugue of firing a heavy rifle like the .303, and a .22 would be a good investment.
My bold.

Fatigue?
What are we becoming; a nation of poofs? :D
OK then, off you toddle to the range and put 200 rounds through a .303, then look at your first and last groups.
 
#10
BambiBasher said:
Henry_Tombs said:
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot. Add to that the relative difficulty of finding a range long enough to give you a regularly testing shoot, plus the fatugue of firing a heavy rifle like the .303, and a .22 would be a good investment.
My bold.

Fatigue?
What are we becoming; a nation of poofs? :D
OK then, off you toddle to the range and put 200 rounds through a .303, then look at your first and last groups.
I do, frequently.
 
B

BambiBasher

Guest
#11
Henry_Tombs said:
BambiBasher said:
Henry_Tombs said:
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot. Add to that the relative difficulty of finding a range long enough to give you a regularly testing shoot, plus the fatugue of firing a heavy rifle like the .303, and a .22 would be a good investment.
My bold.

Fatigue?
What are we becoming; a nation of poofs? :D
OK then, off you toddle to the range and put 200 rounds through a .303, then look at your first and last groups.
I do, frequently.
And I suppose the excessive recoil of the ill-designed cartridge merely sharpens your aim.
 
#12
BambiBasher said:
Henry_Tombs said:
BambiBasher said:
Henry_Tombs said:
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot. Add to that the relative difficulty of finding a range long enough to give you a regularly testing shoot, plus the fatugue of firing a heavy rifle like the .303, and a .22 would be a good investment.
My bold.

Fatigue?
What are we becoming; a nation of poofs? :D
OK then, off you toddle to the range and put 200 rounds through a .303, then look at your first and last groups.
I do, frequently.
And I suppose the excessive recoil of the ill-designed cartridge merely sharpens your aim.
I have never found it excessive in either my No4 or No5; the Long Lee is a dream to shoot albeit with hand loads, I'm currently working on a load for the heavier 215 Grn bullet, it will be interesting to see if that produces more "attitude" on the range.
 
B

BambiBasher

Guest
#13
I find my groups opening up maybe 25% beyond about 600 yards after the first 100 rounds or so.

I must be a big poovey hermer then I suppose.
 
#14
I think it also depends on what discipline you are shooting as well; my groups (and concentration) start to go when doing TR late in the afteroon but I find myself still very alert late in the day doing service rifle, which is where I should have been today but for a back injury. :(
 
#15
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot.
Just curious, but what calibre are you shooting at that price?

7.62 NATO costs from about 20p and up over here (and Scandinavia isn't cheap!).
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#16
crashdummy said:
Thank you for your replies Ugly and HT.

To further complicate matters, I know that I'm being posted to Canada after I commission.
Thats good news in many ways as the Canadian Milsurp scene is alive and kicking look at this site I'd think long and hard about ownership as there are plenty of clubs there and the Canadian military sponsor some shoots.
Shooting a LE at long range is something that fascinates me. It's a combination of the precision and skill of using a bolt action rifle effectively that gets me.
Good on you!
Another question that comes to mind is the Army's attitude to you using its ranges for your own enjoyment? As long as it doesn't interfere with training, is this possible? I'm still in the dark to the ways of the field Army outside of the academy.
Its good to hear that you are interested in this, the army can be very supportive and if you do well then it can almost become a career, most of us are happy with it as a hobby!
 

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
#17
crashdummy said:
Thank you for your replies Ugly and HT.

To further complicate matters, I know that I'm being posted to Canada after I commission.

Shooting a LE at long range is something that fascinates me. It's a combination of the precision and skill of using a bolt action rifle effectively that gets me.

Another question that comes to mind is the Army's attitude to you using its ranges for your own enjoyment? As long as it doesn't interfere with training, is this possible? I'm still in the dark to the ways of the field Army outside of the academy.
It might be worthwhile getting yourself some information regarding target shooting in the Army from:
http://www.army.mod.uk/sportandadventure/clubs/shooting_ara/
before you rush off in all directions.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#18
Tartan_Terrier said:
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot.
Just curious, but what calibre are you shooting at that price?

7.62 NATO costs from about 20p and up over here (and Scandinavia isn't cheap!).
Soft point ammo of decent quality is £1 to £1.50 depending upon calibre its all down to components. I can handload and get this down to between 1/3 and 1/2 of the dealers price for small quantities. FMJs are different again and you will probably be firing surplus ammo cast by lot and not inspection.
This ammo can be about 50 to 60 pence at the NRA but if you buy cheap and cheerful then half price again!
Its all about what you want at the target end! :wink:
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#19
ancienturion said:
crashdummy said:
Thank you for your replies Ugly and HT.

To further complicate matters, I know that I'm being posted to Canada after I commission.

Shooting a LE at long range is something that fascinates me. It's a combination of the precision and skill of using a bolt action rifle effectively that gets me.

Another question that comes to mind is the Army's attitude to you using its ranges for your own enjoyment? As long as it doesn't interfere with training, is this possible? I'm still in the dark to the ways of the field Army outside of the academy.


It might be worthwhile getting yourself some information regarding target shooting in the Army from:
http://www.army.mod.uk/sportandadventure/clubs/shooting_ara/
before you rush off in all directions.
This would be a better link
 
B

BambiBasher

Guest
#20
Tartan_Terrier said:
BambiBasher said:
Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot.
Just curious, but what calibre are you shooting at that price?

7.62 NATO costs from about 20p and up over here (and Scandinavia isn't cheap!).
Federal PowerShock, £20 f0r 20, but I generally load my own with Hornady SSTs. For target FMJ loads it might be a bit cheaper but then again you do pay a lot for consistency.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads