Taken a liking to shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by crashdummy, Oct 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning Gentlemen,

I'd like to ask for your advice as regards taking my fondness for shooting beyond range practices at RMAS.

I've just passed my RMQs, and I've become very interested in the science behind shooting. Ideally, I'd like to have my own rifle, capable of a decent range, to use for leisure, outside of SA80.

I made a trip to my local gunshop today, who reccomended starting on a .22 and working my way up to a 7.62mm bolt action.

I have a few questions regarding this. I'd like your advice as to whether this is acceptable? It does seem a bit strange to drop from a 5.56mm military rifle to a .22 effective to under 100 yards?

Is it possible, or even legal, for me to own a Lee Enfield at some point in my shooting career? Or will the police deem it total overkill. I'd love to own one, not just for their performance, but for their history in the British Army.

Pray go easy on the newbie!

My thanks,

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Welcome, should you really be interested in shooting beyond the usual range work and even infantry field firing then long range work is one way of practising the skills needed to excell. walter Winans practiced both revolver and rifle daily and was a great shot, practising can be expensive so a .22 rf is a good way to get the basics right, a .22 at 200 yards is like a 7.62 at 1200 yards.
    You will need an FAC and a club to be a member of so when you know where you are being posted to after Sandhurst then I would take it further!
  3. I have 7 Lee Enfield's currently and belong to this oraganisation:

So yes, you can (and hopefully will) own a LE and shoot it under one or other of the historic shooting clubs in the UK.
    Ugly and myself both belong to the Historical Breechloading Smallarms Association which has a tendancy to open your eyes to all the other things which matter when it comes to small arms research regarding weapons used by the British Army (and others) from about the period when we started converting the 1853 Patt muzzle loader into a breechlaoder, sporting arms research are covered by the association as well.
  4. While on the subject, with regards to air rifles would I be better off splashing out slightly more cash (as well as obtaining a FAC) on a FAC air rifle rather then buying a neutered model.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Resale value of FAC air rifles is pretty poor, a good 12 ft lb will do out to where rimfire is needed.
  6. Thank you for your replies Ugly and HT.

To further complicate matters, I know that I'm being posted to Canada after I commission.

Shooting a LE at long range is something that fascinates me. It's a combination of the precision and skill of using a bolt action rifle effectively that gets me.

Another question that comes to mind is the Army's attitude to you using its ranges for your own enjoyment? As long as it doesn't interfere with training, is this possible? I'm still in the dark to the ways of the field Army outside of the academy.
  7. Cost of rimfire ammo: about 8p a shot. Cost of sentrefire ammo: about a quid a shot. Add to that the relative difficulty of finding a range long enough to give you a regularly testing shoot, plus the fatugue of firing a heavy rifle like the .303, and a .22 would be a good investment.
  8. My bold.

What are we becoming; a nation of poofs? :D
  9. OK then, off you toddle to the range and put 200 rounds through a .303, then look at your first and last groups.
  10. I do, frequently.
  11. And I suppose the excessive recoil of the ill-designed cartridge merely sharpens your aim.
  12. I have never found it excessive in either my No4 or No5; the Long Lee is a dream to shoot albeit with hand loads, I'm currently working on a load for the heavier 215 Grn bullet, it will be interesting to see if that produces more "attitude" on the range.
  13. I find my groups opening up maybe 25% beyond about 600 yards after the first 100 rounds or so.

I must be a big poovey hermer then I suppose.
  14. I think it also depends on what discipline you are shooting as well; my groups (and concentration) start to go when doing TR late in the afteroon but I find myself still very alert late in the day doing service rifle, which is where I should have been today but for a back injury. :(
  15. Just curious, but what calibre are you shooting at that price?

7.62 NATO costs from about 20p and up over here (and Scandinavia isn't cheap!).