'Take that, Jerry...!'

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Cold_Collation, Aug 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 4
  2. "Aieeee!" shouted the Japs, as they were run through with bayonets.

3. Donnerwetter!

4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Idiot - that's one of Santa's reindeer.

For Himmel's sake...

• Like Like x 1
  5. To all who hold dear the actions of Sgt. Hurricane, Action Man and 'Escappe from Colditz" etc., I thoroughly recommend the book "Achtung Schweinehund", by Harry Pearson.
    ISBN: 978-0-316-86136-6.
    Donner und Blitzen.
    Zum Teufel.
    Had me in tears, at times.
    Priceless.
    :excited:

6. I used to have loads of these as a kid. Pictures of square jawed tommies lobbing grenades at weasly jaundiced looking Japs with classic lines like;
    "Share this amongst you nips"
    Awesome and non PC to boot!

7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Just How ******* Gay are some of those covers? :)

Look at numbers 2 and 3 (can't link from here, sadly) and they are pictures that only John Barrowman could have at home on his walls. Or ceiling.

8. All together now.....

aieee.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. I used to have loads... there used to be little features in the inside of the covers, of various weapons or equipment.

Seem to recall I used to be believe that the British in 1939/40 referred to attacking German planes as 'Blue Blazes' :D

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Last Christmas I was given The Art of War ed by David Roach. I thought, at first glance, that I was getting a book which was a compilation of comics. However, it is just the front covers and some of the artwork from inside the magazines. After my initial disappointment I found the book to be a very good reminder of days gone by. The magazines concerned were "War Picture Library", "Battle Picture Library", "War at Sea" and "Air Ace" - comics which were prevalent in the 60's and which saw a big portion of my pocket money.

Some really 'explosive' artwork and I am really pleased I got it now. Memories!!!

11. And they never went in for confusing titles either!
    Although someone should point out to the chaps on the right that they're on to a loser there.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. While living and working in Germany I would sometimes get a 'phone call from a friend in England. As soon as I had picked up the 'phone he would shout "Achtung! Spitfire!" until the day my colleague Reiner took the call...

On a serious note, Pals Battalions must be the worst invention of the recruiting whatevers in WWI. It left villages all over the UK with only old men and children to work the land. In several cases they were all killed in the same assault.
    Pals.jpg

13. Alas yes, but it was a fast way of building a unit that was already cohesive.