'Take that, Jerry...!'

To all who hold dear the actions of Sgt. Hurricane, Action Man and 'Escappe from Colditz" etc., I thoroughly recommend the book "Achtung Schweinehund", by Harry Pearson.
ISBN: 978-0-316-86136-6.
Donner und Blitzen.
Zum Teufel.
Had me in tears, at times.
Priceless.
:excited:

I used to have loads of these as a kid. Pictures of square jawed tommies lobbing grenades at weasly jaundiced looking Japs with classic lines like;
"Share this amongst you nips"
Awesome and non PC to boot!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Just How ******* Gay are some of those covers? :)

Look at numbers 2 and 3 (can't link from here, sadly) and they are pictures that only John Barrowman could have at home on his walls. Or ceiling.

I used to have loads... there used to be little features in the inside of the covers, of various weapons or equipment.

Seem to recall I used to be believe that the British in 1939/40 referred to attacking German planes as 'Blue Blazes' :D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Last Christmas I was given The Art of War ed by David Roach. I thought, at first glance, that I was getting a book which was a compilation of comics. However, it is just the front covers and some of the artwork from inside the magazines. After my initial disappointment I found the book to be a very good reminder of days gone by. The magazines concerned were "War Picture Library", "Battle Picture Library", "War at Sea" and "Air Ace" - comics which were prevalent in the 60's and which saw a big portion of my pocket money.

Some really 'explosive' artwork and I am really pleased I got it now. Memories!!!

While living and working in Germany I would sometimes get a 'phone call from a friend in England. As soon as I had picked up the 'phone he would shout "Achtung! Spitfire!" until the day my colleague Reiner took the call...

On a serious note, Pals Battalions must be the worst invention of the recruiting whatevers in WWI. It left villages all over the UK with only old men and children to work the land. In several cases they were all killed in the same assault.
Pals.jpg

Alas yes, but it was a fast way of building a unit that was already cohesive.

To all who hold dear the actions of Sgt. Hurricane, Action Man and 'Escappe from Colditz" etc., I thoroughly recommend the book "Achtung Schweinehund", by Harry Pearson.
ISBN: 978-0-316-86136-6.
Donner und Blitzen.
Zum Teufel.
Had me in tears, at times.
Priceless.
:excited:
Seconded!...

CW

Quis Separabit
Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Alas yes, but it was a fast way of building a unit that was already cohesive.
This I cannot deny - but was it right? Oh bugger, I'm running into one of my own pet hates: judging events from history by today's standards or with the 20:20 vision of hindsight!

M

Mark The Convict

Some bloody good artwork in some of those, apparently a good few of the original artists had served in ze var, so had a good idea of what they were doing. You can get modern, hardcover compilations of the various titles, similar in concept to the 28 volume hardcover set of Combat and Survival.

Allegedly.