Take home pay - Commando Artillery

Hey guys

I’m a Corporal in the Australian Army as a Forward Observer in Artillery. As the ADF Pay Scales are a bit confusing, the UK Armed Forces Pay Scales are also. I’m trying to gauge the total take home Salary for an Artillery Observer in the Army Commados. With lateral transfers I understand I’ll reduce rank to Private. Is that’s the case - what can I expect a total package, with allowances and anything additional?

Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why not ask these people:

ugly

LE
You should factor in the fact that Aussie troops do well financially on ops whereas we are routinely raped financially by comparison

The live chat person didn’t have the answer I’m looking for. In the Australian Army, there’s a base salary and then you have allowances which make up the total package. That’s the figure I’m after

BrookBond

Clanker
Hey guys

I’m a Corporal in the Australian Army as a Forward Observer in Artillery. As the ADF Pay Scales are a bit confusing, the UK Armed Forces Pay Scales are also. I’m trying to gauge the total take home Salary for an Artillery Observer in the Army Commados. With lateral transfers I understand I’ll reduce rank to Private. Is that’s the case - what can I expect a total package, with allowances and anything additional?

Thanks
Jimmy
Don´t do it. I knew a guy who joined the Australian Army. Sure you had to be a Sgt, which he was.

The live chat person didn’t have the answer I’m looking for. In the Australian Army, there’s a base salary and then you have allowances which make up the total package. That’s the figure I’m after
It’s pretty different but the same.

Easiest way, is to check out the pay table and just use that as a base.

You might get some allowances, but they’re 1-2% of total pay.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hey guys

Thanks
Jimmy
The short answer is: it's pretty shit.

The longer answer is, your pay mostly comprises four elements.

Base Salary. This is based on rank and time served. Look at this table here: British Army Pay Scales 2021 - 2022 - British Armed Forces - UK Army Officers Pay - Armed Forces Pay Review Body -Forty Ninth Report 49th 2021 Rates - Other Ranks Pay Rates - Army 2021 Pay Review, How much does a soldier get paid In your case, OR-2 means Private (if you reduce rank) and the next number (-1 to -9) means time served. That can be up to 50% more, so a key question to ask re: transfer is how your time served is calculated. If you transfer includes your time in the Australian Army (i.e. say a 10-year Cpl) then you may be on a high pay band even as a Private in the British Army. You can also probably expect to promote pretty quickly.

Recruitment and Retention Pay (RRP). This is extra pay for specific roles with key training or desire to retain. Somewhat surprisingly, I don't think either Commando or FOO training gets you an RRP - this document here has all the rates in the Appendix - https://assets.publishing.service.g...CS0318277118-1_AFPRB_2018_Book_Accessible.pdf

Since some Commando posts require / allow jumps training, you may get Parachute RRP pay, which from next year is going to be about £6 extra per day, which (if I remember correctly how it is calculated) is about £2000 per year.

Allowances. You then get allowances, which have a big range but don't really amount to much these days as a soldier. You have to be a more senior soldier (Warrant Officer) or officer (Major and above) to benefit from most of those allowances. Most of these affray costs such as travel and subsistence rather than give you money.

Additional pay. You'll also be eligble for pay such as separation pay (nights spent away from home) and operational allowance (a bulk sum for a certain number of days spent on operations). However, these days the separation pay has been reduced, and fewer eligible operations mean the don't amount to as much as they did during the Iraq / Afghan campaigns. They are a bonus payment rather than a steady income.

There are other elements of compensation such as the pension and housing provision, but you'll have to work out the pension contribution yourself, and housing provision etc is a reduction in expenditure rather than pay. It does make up a substantial part of the package, however, as if you are married you pay only a few hundred £ in rent compared to tens of thousands a year for civilians.

So your initial base pay will be between £20,500 (no Para pay, lowest band of Pte) - £32,000 (Para pay, highest band of Pte) p.a. with additional pay for being on exercise or operations. That could rise to between £33,000 - £37,000 within about five years if you promoted quickly back to Corporal. All this is pre-tax.

Don't know what the Australian Army salaries are like in comparison, but in Britain, that isn't really a good deal for JNCOs. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is that a lot more of that is disposable income than your average wage slave in a large city who pays between £5000-£20000 p.a. on rent.

G4Star

Old-Salt
Why move from ADF to British Army?
Surely you have a career in the ADF, 2 stripes & a half decent pension.
Its cold here, it rains a lot & we don't use sandpaper when playing cricket.

If you want excitement join Special Forces & get to go on black ops etc.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why move from ADF to British Army?
Surely you have a career in the ADF, 2 stripes & a half decent pension.
Its cold here, it rains a lot & we don't use sandpaper when playing cricket.

If you want excitement join Special Forces & get to go on black ops etc.
They're called BAME ops.