Tailoring Hats

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by crazyeyes, Jan 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick one:

Whats the score with wearing tailored (I.e. the brim cut down a little and the excess material on top reduced) MTP hats in theatre? Particually BSN and Juno? Hearing differant things back here.

2. Tailors in BSN are banned from tailoring hats. RSM's may have their own unit policies on tailored hats at other locations. You see all sorts of brim sizes knocking around, so you just risk a bollocking.
  3. As issued they are absurd! Get it tailored before you go and they can't really do much about it. Apart from the afore-mentioned bollocking that is!
  4. I've seen lads put back into berets before for wearing tailored hats, just the once though by a particularly arrsey WO. Take two, one tailored and one not just in case.
  5. Many at Bastion still wearing berets at the moment. Whether that's because they are maroon I wouldn't know........
  6. Because they won't be seen as a hat?

/me gets coat...
  7. Maybe its more to do with the temp being cool enough to wear a beret now and, also, the fact that there are some right strokers walking around bastion who will grip people for wearing tailored hats.
  8. The rule was while I was there last summer NO modified Hats however I got away with mine and I had to walk past the gsm every day, but this is why I think I got away with it. It was desert pattern not MTP and it was a shop one not an issue one.

I think because MTP was new issue and is not in the shops it stands out that you have modified something you have been ORDERED not to.
  9. If anyone at Bastion is looking to get their hat cut, the survival equipment section on the flight line may oblige if they're not too busy. Let's face it, they look like a fukin sombrero when they're new.
  10. count 7 of the circle rims thats where your allowed it to be tailored to, at least thats the advice we got from my RSM.
  11. I'd be very suprised of you get shit at Juno for having a tailored hat, then again stranger things have happened.
  12. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

You'll be fine at Juno. Nothing like BSN there.
  13. where is this juno? Ive heard it mentioned a few times. And before people scream opsec i doubt a base in the desert somewhere has not been noticed by the taliban.
  14. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Just another camp, not sure where it is.
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

This is not the camp you are looking for.......

Forget cut down hats, worry about the Lt Col stood outside the cookhouse taking down the names of soldiers whose sideburns he deems too long and sending them away for a shave before they are allowed in to eat!