Tagged army veteran misses parade

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Poppy, May 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7403422.stm

Mr Ogden plans to appeal
    A 73-year-old army veteran will miss a remembrance march after becoming one of Britain's oldest men to be electronically tagged.

Peter Ogden, from Bristol, said he was "appalled" when he was given the three-month order for not reporting a road accident.

Mr Ogden was due to join fellow members of the Grenadier Guards Association in London on a march this weekend.

But he is now banned from leaving his home between 1600 and 2300 BST.

He was also banned from driving for one year, but plans to appeal.

"I served my country for three years and have never been in trouble in my whole life," he said.

Curfews introduce regularity into what are often chaotic lifestyles

Ministry of Justice

"I only admitted failing to report an accident on the advice of my solicitor, who told me I would only receive a few points on my licence."

Mr Ogden said he only drove away from the scene of the accident last year after confirming with another witness that she had dialled 999.

The family of the woman involved in the accident, who suffered life-threatening injuries, said they did not think the sentence was lenient.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson added: "Electronic monitoring provides the courts with a credible alternative to custody. It can be used alone, or as an enhancement to other community interventions.

"Curfews introduce regularity into what are often chaotic lifestyles. They enhance supervision and can disrupt the pattern of offending behaviour."

This does seem a tad OTT................

2. Because he's really the type of person you need to keep an eye on. Vet or not!

3. From what I gather after hearing this on 5 Live earlier today he wasnt involved in the accident but in the quee of traffic behind so something does not add up or the Justice System in this country is well and truly Fecked. I think the qualifications for joining the CPS is to be a COMPLETE AND UTTER CNUT WITH LESS INTELIGANCE THEN THE SPNUK I WIPED ON THE CURTAINS LAST NIGHT WITH THE ONLY PURPOSE TO INCREASE PROSECUTION NUMBERS SO ZANU LIARBOR CAN SAY WE ARE FIGHTING CRIME EFFECTIVLY. YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF COMPLETE *******. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

4. msr

msr LE

Calm down, Mr Ogden.

5. He was involved in an RTA ? and there was a woman also involved who sufferred life threatening injuries? And he drove off leaving her injured before the emergency services arrived? He didn't report the accident.
    He therefore avoided being tested for alcohol intake and also avoided giving help to the girl fighting for her life, as well as avoiding being held to account? A tag?A tag?!
    Tar and feather the bastard
    Of course if he wasn't involved in the accident then ...

6. Ok calm now Mrs Old-git has just Tazerd me and is threatening to put me back in the box. :D

8. In an Iterview today the said Mr Ogden made no contact with anothe vehicle and had been told by another woman that she had contacted the emergency services and she was being attended too, like I said something does not add up and I am fed up with the CPS wasting taxpayers money.

9. 73!!!

There are named offenders in my area with more than 100 lock ups clocked up with the police who are walking free.

Not only walking free but free in a place not known to the police.

Yet a pensioner gets tagged!

Who's the easy target. Little sh1t who'll just cut your tag off and says "Fcuk the plod" or an old man!

10. Apolagies for the spelling "Fingers too fat"

11. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

From the (brief) coat of looking at I gave the story he was a witness, who having checked that another witness had dialed 999 left the scene.

I may have misunderstood, but to me it stinks of jobsworth.

13. If he had in fact knocked the woman over and then left the scene then yes he should be charged and the book thrown at him. But like I said something does not add up here someone is telling porkys.

14. I've stopped at an accident and asked if there was anything i could do to help the people who were already attending. I was told no, and continued on my way. If that was the same situation as the one described above, then it is ludicrous.
    If, however, the Mr Ogden was a witness to the original accident then that should be a different matter.
    Is there an elaboration availible as to the original incident?

(Or are the courts thinking of installing "accident cameras" and fining every person who drives past on the opposite carridgeway after a lorry has decided to have a rest on it's side?)