TAFS

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Oct 31, 2003.

?
  1. Bloody Good Idea

3.3%
  2. Better than what we did before

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't care

3.3%
  4. What's TAFS?

50.0%
  5. Someone at LAND should pass the pipe round

43.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

What do people think about TAFS?

msr

2. Personally I do not mind the Welsh - so long as they do not leave Wales. Who ever let them in the English Army in the first place? Tom Jones is okay though.

3. Personally I think whoever thought this bag of bollox should be dragged up against the wall and shot.

I can see it was a nice idea but unfortunately it works against new recruits rather than for them.

Maybe it's just the way my unit handles how we administer the package but it seems that recruits spend too much time waiting for the next phase 1 seven weekend package to start or attending the same lectures over and over again.

Despite giving them lessons on drill, kit maintenance, etc on a training night there's precious little else we can do with them.

(any imaginative suggestions are readily welcomed to keep them interested!)

Hence retention of even recruits is poor.

Does everyone agree or are there other experiences out there?

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I have done the PSI thing and getting all the planets to align at once is nearly impossible.

Are the TA doing the All Arms thing now? With a proper Phase 1 and 2?

I am sure the AMS isn't.

5. What, pray tell, is this TAFS thing?

6. msr

msr LE

TA Foundation Syllabus, it's the new 'basic training', but seems to have morphed into an awful lot of powerpoint and very little action....

msr

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Shame really, the AMS used to do a 14 day recruit course with trade training to follow- how things have changed!

8. power point should have nothing to do with any basic recruit training

9. TAFS is a waste of time and is designed for the regular army recruits who are ages 17 and therefore have no idea or understanding of many of the elements of army life such as what does a padre do? On second thoughts......

The sort of things that get covered are pay and allowances, Equal Ops, foot drill at the halt (get more interesting mixing Light Div Drill with heavy), country code, and then some stuff about society and waffle by the padre. Once more UK Land has said the TA has to do it because they thinks our recruits are identical to theirs but that shows how often they have actually visited TA recruit training and looked at the calibre and intelligence (or not). This has been shown by the obsessing about 16 periods of drill over a 7 weekend period or not being able to teach SAA because the SASC have not taught you the 'only' way to strip a rifle during a 2 week course. If the TA is to be used as a realistic complement to the Regular Army in times of need (such as all the time) why waste SO much time training them to about turn on the march when they really need skills training in how to deal with a nutter with explosives strapped to him at a VCP.

Rant over.

10. We've been running TAFS since April. Four weekends of Powerpoint and little else but drill is not what the recruits have joined up for. It's boring for them and it's boring for us on the training team teaching them. The skills difference between recruits going on phase two now and those who went through the old scheme is unreal. We're also getting a lot of negative feedback from the recruits about the ATR's. The quality and content of the courses is pot luck on who the DS are, most appear to be NFI. At least the old phase 2 DS at Blandfords' TA training wing showed interest.

11. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Butcherbear

Spot on - we must be in the same Regiment - I won't tell if you don't.....

as for the GAP training - don't get me going on that. by the time we get a recruit to the point where he/she can begin to learn the trade they actually joined up to do, most of them have lost interest and fucked off back to civvyland.

Change definitely not for the better :(

12. on GAP phase just now and it is painful. Under the old system I would be on strength at my unit now but here I am almost a year later, still a fecking recruit.
    TAFS 2 weekend in particular was a pain in the arrse. Being an ex-cadet drillpig, the 16(!?!) periods of drill concentrated over one weekend was for me a total drag. For everybody else, it was the lack of variety that was the killer. Lot of unhappy recruits put through boring p/point presentations iwth officers going through deployments in the world in a weary monotone.
    :evil:

13. Another problem with recruits in general is the lack of pay until they are attested. A young person with a basic or no job is not likely to turn up on weekends and training nights and not be paid for it. At the moment we have the problem with paperwork and glasgow (nothing new here). The result is the hold up in pay and in turn the lack of interest from once keen recruits.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

GW, assuming you're TA you could always slot them into the first/second period of 'not too technical' trained soldiers lectures/training.

My old TA unit taught us recruit stuff at our weekends and our Wednesdays were ordinary soldiers lectures - my notes on wire obs. and trench stages 1-5 are pristine!

Or run them up to the local hospital/fire station for a briefing and hands on some of the kit, or a visit to your nearest Reg unit - just ideas as requested.

15. Have things changed so much in 14 years? what happened to the old 6 weeks BMT 10 weeks Trade Training then off to join your new family......worked for bloody years whats going on pray tell ?

PS not forgetting the JLR set up either for those who wanted to start at 15 great apprenticeship.