Tad of betterment.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RoyalEngineers, Nov 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New 1.5 mile time is now 10.43. Almost at BFT time :p

Anyway, atleast i'm improving :lol:

Does anyone have advice for when i'm actually running to further shave time off? ANYTHING?

Eg. comments on posture, how to keep sick down etc :roll:

2. I've only been running 1.5 miles + on a daily basis for the past 2 weeks, but i've found the best thing to improve my time is to focus on how steady and calm i'm breathing, allowing me to adjust my pace - That and constantly reminding myself why I need to be faster and stronger.

My PB was 9.51 two weeks ago and I've got it down 8.34 as of last night

3. Goddamit how are people improving their run times so quickly? Ive already passed my FPA test (Fitness preperation and asessment test) and did the run in 11mins 22 seconds. But because i have some stupid high grades in GCSE and AS level ive been told to do it again (my recruiter is a bastard sometimes lol but still a laugh) to prove that i really want to join the Infantry. The problem is that ive just had my 18th Birthday a week ago and have just filled my belly with booze and stopped training for a bit. This Saturday i have to go to the course and i dont want to go away with worse that what i had before (11 ,mins 22 sec run, full 150m jerry can lift and 11 pullups) ....Im currently running 1.5 miles all uphill in 13 minutes.

4. I think the very fast improvements like above are not gaining that much muscle etc that fast just they have the ability to run that fast just need a couple weeks to get back into the game.

I do all my training dependant on street lights, my general training untill a month ago was, sprint between street lights and on each 1 stop and do 10push ups then sprint to next and 15 sit ups and just keep rotating the 2 and when you cant do that many just best effort.

Been told farklik is very good for improving 1.5mile time...

5. farklik? (yes i know its a noobish question)

6. Fartlek. Its a Swedish thing - try google, it'll give loads of detail!

7. Dear god, i can just imagine some of the sexual positions it could be refering too.

8. Lol, and they all have long blonde hair!!!

9. Oh, and to put your mind at ease - my run times are not dropping like all these other ones do!!!

10. My 'rude-word-detector 3000' has been going crazy!! whats gonig on in here!?!?

11. Thats exactly right, what i've found is that my muscles are becoming a lot more defined oppossed to drastically increasing in proportion although I do have a high protein & Calorie intake to counter the amount of cardio work I do compared to weight training. I think more than anything though its a case of knowing that you can be faster/ can run longer distances. Theres a lot to be said for conditioning yourself mentally!

The way I look at it, and its been said by someone on here before is that If I don't go out and run everyday and do my utmost to improve my distance and timing everyday I will be stuck in a boring 9-5 office job for the rest of my life instead of joining the army which is what I really want to do with my life.

12. hoorah for people in boring office jobs!! (including myself)!!!

13. Practise makes perfect

14. I'm in the Army and in a boring office job - yay :D

15. I had a lovely little chat with the people at www.armyjobs.mod.uk about the ADSC and they say Infantry needs only 12 mins 45 seconds to pass fitness tests there.

Isnt that a bit ... dare i say it!.. EASY!